What do you think you sound like?

What do you want to sound like?

To me you sound a little strangled, like your mouth is full of marbles - half the words are incomprehensible. I think it's because you're trying to emote too hard rather than letting the song emote for you.

The first step to a good singing performance is just getting out of the way. The music is going to deliver the emotion. All the emoting you're trying to do is getting in the way.

Once your fundamentals are solid, that emoting will naturally (and effortlessly) come back in.

That being said, what I think doesn't matter. You need to learn how to listen to yourself, listen to the singers you want to sound like, and hear what they're doing that you're not.
Potential for what?

The cover was ok. More whiny than the original. Your tone isn't bad but you lack control. You are trying too hard for sure.

Your voice cracks alot and you are way over-doing the emotional side of things.

The above was a touch harsh. Kudos to you for putting up a cover. The above is not meant as a discouragement. Instead, it's just a push for you to get a teacher and start working in earnest. It doesn't matter a hill of beans if you have all the potential in the world if you don't work to grow and flourish it.

So I guess the only real question is, are you ready to work and work hard? Best of luck to you.
Quote by HotspurJr
What do you think you sound like?

What do you want to sound like?

To me you sound a little strangled, like your mouth is full of marbles - half the words are incomprehensible. I think it's because you're trying to emote too hard rather than letting the song emote for you.

The first step to a good singing performance is just getting out of the way. The music is going to deliver the emotion. All the emoting you're trying to do is getting in the way.

Once your fundamentals are solid, that emoting will naturally (and effortlessly) come back in.

That being said, what I think doesn't matter. You need to learn how to listen to yourself, listen to the singers you want to sound like, and hear what they're doing that you're not.

Quote by merriman44
Potential for what?

The cover was ok. More whiny than the original. Your tone isn't bad but you lack control. You are trying too hard for sure.

Your voice cracks alot and you are way over-doing the emotional side of things.

The above was a touch harsh. Kudos to you for putting up a cover. The above is not meant as a discouragement. Instead, it's just a push for you to get a teacher and start working in earnest. It doesn't matter a hill of beans if you have all the potential in the world if you don't work to grow and flourish it.

So I guess the only real question is, are you ready to work and work hard? Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much for you inputs, very insightful!

Like I said, although I've made some good progress over the pas few years, I'm still very far from where I wanna be.

(I'm not too sure about the cracking though so if you could point it out for me it would be nice! As for trying too hard, I'm not sure either... maybe that's just how I come off? lol )
Quote by merriman44
cracking as in voice breaks. I think you are going for emotionality but it doesn't come off that way for me.

Trying too hard for me is when you are over-acting the song. You made it too emotional and it actually got a little uncomfortable.

Keep at it gent.

Thanks man, really grateful to hear something I haven't gotten from anyone else!