Currently, I'm using a Shure SM58 mic plugged into a Steinberg CI1 audio box which runs to my computer (Reaper Software) to record the sound for my covers. I find the sound is very foggy and doesn't sound very clear. Is the bottleneck my mic, audio interface, or is it my amp? (I use an old 30W Crate amp that's less-than-average quality).
Amp.

Also maybe your mic'ing technique and mixing abilities.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 25, 2014,
^ That.

Its only worth mic'ing your amp once you've got an amp worth micing. Till then, you're probably better off using amp sims.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you ARE getting the sound you like out of the amp, then look at your miking technique - move it around so its aimed at different parts of the speaker, angle it differently, etc.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Your interface won't give you a foggy sound. (At least it shouldn't unless you have something really strange with it going on)

If you don't like the sound coming out of your amp then micing it and trying to fix it in the box could be nearly impossible. You might be able to make it work but your best bet is to mic the tone you want or record dry and apply effects itb. If you have the tone you want coming out of your amp then the issue is with your mic and/or Micing. A 58 should yield decent results, so it is possible the it could be your technique. Have you experimented with different placements? Most of the time you'll want the mic to be off axis with the speaker. I've seen all kinds of different positions produce good results.
I'd be willing to guess it's actually poor mic placement. How have you got your mic set up (what part of the speaker, what angle, how close)?

Otherwise yeah crappy amps aren't worth micing.
The blackstar HT series doesn't contain any amp considered good, mic'd or un-mic'd.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The blackstar HT series doesn't contain any amp considered good, mic'd or un-mic'd.

+ several.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^

then what would you consider a worthwhile quote..err.. i mean amp to mic?.....thats in a decent price range?....not everyone on here needs a 5 million dollar studio setup.....im sure alot of them are like me who play guitar in a small space for 10 years and want to try some simple beginner friendly guitar recording over a simple drum backing track....do i need a 4.000.00$ fender amp to mic up in my small space? or would my crappy valve tubed blackstar ht-5r be fine? oh thats right! i could use my crappy beringer effects and my crappy beringer uac222 interface and buy some crappy rokit 8s and run it all into my crappy 350.00$ laptop and record some crappy guitar riffs with my crappy 900.00$ fretlight fg561 pro guitar with crappy 250.00$ lindy fralin p92 pickups ......... my guess is ....in my short time here is that spambot 2 is a negative forum troll looking for some recognition
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
then what would you consider a worthwhile quote..err.. i mean amp to mic?.....thats in a decent price range?....not everyone on here needs a 5 million dollar studio setup.....im sure alot of them are like me who play guitar in a small space for 10 years and want to try some simple beginner friendly guitar recording over a simple drum backing track....do i need a 4.000.00$ fender amp to mic up in my small space? or would my crappy valve tubed blackstar ht-5r be fine? oh thats right! i could use my crappy beringer effects and my crappy beringer uac222 interface and buy some crappy rokit 8s and run it all into my crappy 350.00$ laptop and record some crappy guitar riffs with my crappy 900.00$ fretlight fg561 pro guitar with crappy 250.00$ lindy fralin p92 pickups ......... my guess is ....in my short time here is that spambot 2 is a negative forum troll looking for some recognition

The Ht5r is an average practice amp at best. It's good for practicing with, nothing more.

If you want to get the best recording, you can use amp sims that will give you a significantly better end-product than you will be able to create by mic'ing your amp.

I'm only seeing one negative forum troll here, and it isn't spambot.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
to me .these forums are a joke---theirs like 15 million members and 3/4 of these forums are about stupid mindless back and forth banter .....its like a giant bag of smashed up A-HOLES ....i dont see professionalism at all.....its a giant mess....like a town after a F5 Tornado ran through it....to me ..it seems like xbox live withe the 10 year old squeekers...seriously!! its called Ultamate guitar ....the key word here is "GUITAR" ...not ..ultamate trollathon....15.000 answerson a thread does not answer my questions it confuses me on who to believe.....im sure there are lots of good info but im not flipping through 15.000 posts to find answers
Ok, we'll just have to look forward until the inevitable ban happens.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
ya garybilly im really trolling after 6 posts total since my 3 days membership you effing tard ....your the veteran troll with your 2001 membership ...stop trolling bad advice on a 9.8 rated amp.
I WANT TO GET BANNED GARYBILLYGOAT YOU ****ING ****** DICK SUCKING TROLL....GO AND SHAVE YOUR MOMS 1970s BUSH
I have a modded HT1 (new valves and a Jensen speaker) and it sounds pretty awesome and if I had an expansion cab that meant I didn't have to run an 8inch speaker for recording I'd totally record with it.

Also Ironmaiden, you mad bro? Srsly, calm down. Raging and effing and blinding on a forum won't achieve anything but get you banned. If you want to disagree with other people that's fine, but have an adult discussion and don't instantly call anyone who's opinion you don't like a troll... that's not how it works.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 27, 2014,
sm58 isnt really the best for miking an amp. Thats what they make sm57s for

I used to use a sm58 type mic for a 2nd mic but id put it in the end of about a 4 foot long cardboard tube....that was a cool sound
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX

Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
ya garybilly im really trolling after 6 posts total since my 3 days membership you effing tard ....your the veteran troll with your 2001 membership ...stop trolling bad advice on a 9.8 rated amp.

Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
these forums are like osama obama the chimp.....A TOTAL FAILURE

Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
I WANT TO GET BANNED GARYBILLYGOAT YOU ****ING ****** DICK SUCKING TROLL....GO AND SHAVE YOUR MOMS 1970s BUSH

its like a big troll battle competing to see who has the best queer moderator qualitys........gay gay gay gay
whos the dick sucking moderator for this one thread seeing there are 500.000 moderators ? i want the dickhead moderator to ban me from troll land
We didn't mean to be offensive and we answered your questions.

Your last question was "is the blackstar HT5 an amp worth mic'ing?"
And we all agreed it wasn't.

You didn't really ask why, nor what would have been good for the money.

Then, while we didn't mean to be offensive, you did mean to, and that really was un-necessary.
Also you're using gay as an insult.
That's not really mature of you, don't you think?

Stop getting pissed at people telling you what you own or you plan to buy isn't good when you asked for advice.

Also listen to the "stoner stuff" track in my profile.
That was made with a $120 interface, a $260 guitar and a 2007 macbook.

I'm not saying you need very expensive stuff nor I said that in the past.
You, though, can't expect stuff to sound good when the equipment you use doesn't, regardless of its price.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
its like a big troll battle competing to see who has the best queer moderator qualitys........gay gay gay gay

Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
whos the dick sucking moderator for this one thread seeing there are 500.000 moderators ? i want the dickhead moderator to ban me from troll land

Man, these insults aren't CoD level creative...
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX

I didn't realise that account age was a prerequisite to trolling. Even if one thought that, you've clearly disproved that. Your question about the HT-5 was answered. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that's life. I don't know why you took it as a personal attack though. I'd advise you not to ask for people's opinions if you don't wish to hear them.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
ya your wrong reincrapnator your telling me the same thing i read 5 times from spermbot2 so that makes you a troll jerk ****---scuzysam23 you ever hear of toothpaste an toothbrush you ****in scurve...ya look at scuzysams profile pic. his teeth are as yellow as wisconsin cheese
Last edited by IRONMAIDEN666XX at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by reincarnator
I didn't realise that account age was a prerequisite to trolling. Even if one thought that, you've clearly disproved that. Your question about the HT-5 was answered. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that's life. I don't know why you took it as a personal attack though. I'd advise you not to ask for people's opinions if you don't wish to hear them.

I maintain that you could probably get a decent recorded tone with a HT5...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by JohnProphet
sm58 isnt really the best for miking an amp. Thats what they make sm57s for

I used to use a sm58 type mic for a 2nd mic but id put it in the end of about a 4 foot long cardboard tube....that was a cool sound

The difference between the 57 and the 58 is negligible at best (most can be chalked down to how the different shaped grill affects the sound).

Hopefully now that the super-prick is banned, TS might come back to his thread and we can help him out.
Quote by ChemicalFire

I guess this depends on your opinion of a decent tone. Have to admit, I don't really like Blackstar amps so my statement on it was biased towards my own opinion, but who doesn't do that?

Either way, he's succeeded in making the inevitable ban happen so it doesn't matter anymore.

It wasn't even his thread
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX
ya your wrong reincrapnator your telling me the same thing i read 5 times from spermbot2 so that makes you a troll jerk ****---scuzysam23 you ever hear of toothpaste an toothbrush you ****in scurve...ya look at scuzysams profile pic. his teeth are as yellow as wisconsin cheese
That was funnier than the rest, maybe we should have let him post to see if he would have gotten more and more original with time
Quote by ChemicalFire
I second what Gary said.

I don't mean to be offensive or anything but you said you were satisfied enough with that stoner piece you posted in the recording chat thread, which if ya ask me was mediocre at best.

Also you could get a decent recorded tone out of an MG15 if you were willing to spend the time to make that happen, but that still doesn't make it a hell of an amp if you ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Tbf that Stoner Tone was an amp sim after playing through only ampsims for like a year so my judgement was somewhat skewed. My HT1 sounds a lot better than that and I'd assume that if I played with a better amp I'd be even more blown away by that tone. However the HT5 would still be useable is my point. Not everyone one this site is looking or can justify shelling out for the best quality available.

I'd love to buy me a 1x12 and a Orange Dark Terror / Orange Jim Root signature, but until then I'm perfectly happy with my modded HT1.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by IRONMAIDEN666XX

Can we keep him? If we mount him on the wall, attach tubes to him (for nutrients and waste disposal), and let him yell insults all the time; that'd be hilarious!
Spend some time away and come back to this. Haha. Damn. Kudos to whoever got the joy in banning him. Kinda made me miss my moderating days.

Haha.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.