Hi,
A few months back I posted about getting a seven string, I might try something different first.
For now I'm tuned down to drop A with ernie ball regular slinky strings. Strings are getting a bit spaghetti-like, so I'm going to try something else.

Drop A Tuning: A E A D F# B

At first I thought I'd get a 7-string pack and get rid of the high E string. But then the third string would be a wound string. Not very handy for solo's.
So what if I'd take the B E A string, skip the D string, and tune down three thinnest strings as I'd do in my drop A tuning.
Seems like a good setup for soloing on the first three strings (crazy bends) and fat dirty riffs on the bottom three strings.

Any thoughts?
Get thicker strings. The regular slinkies is a 10 set right? I'd be going at least 12 for this. Get the not even slinkies.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Get thicker strings. The regular slinkies is a 10 set right? I'd be going at least 12 for this. Get the not even slinkies.

And then just regular drop A tuning? No seven strings then.
It would probably be easier to get a six string pack of 12 or 13 gauge strings instead of seven strings. You just waste a string doing that.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by slash&angus
And then just regular drop A tuning? No seven strings then.

You shouldn't need to as mentioned above, you're wasting a string that way. This is what you need: http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/1726/not-even-slinky-nickel-wound
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Note that even .056 is going to be fairly loose when tuned down to A. I tune my 7-string to drop A and I'm finally content with .064, but then I like more tension on the bottom strings, but even if you're ok with less tension, .056 is still going to be a little loose.
Quote by TheLiberation
Note that even .056 is going to be fairly loose when tuned down to A. I tune my 7-string to drop A and I'm finally content with .064, but then I like more tension on the bottom strings, but even if you're ok with less tension, .056 is still going to be a little loose.

Agreed. For that low A you're going to want at least a .060 just to get it holding tuning when you hit the string. Anything less and it'll actually ring out of tune if you hit it with anything more than a feather touch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You want Drop A?

Try this:
.013"
.017"
.021"
.036"
.046"
.064"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by slash&angus
Should I take a baritone set then?

I'd say get something like a 10 set, throw away the high E and buy a single .062 for the low A.

I've never found a pre-made set of strings that really works for tuning down that low. Not really. Even something like an Ernie Ball 13-set only has a .056 for the lowest string which, really, just isn't enough for tuning down to A.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'd say get something like a 10 set, throw away the high E and buy a single .062 for the low A.

I've never found a pre-made set of strings that really works for tuning down that low. Not really. Even something like an Ernie Ball 13-set only has a .056 for the lowest string which, really, just isn't enough for tuning down to A.

I use a 56 in C#, so yeah I'd agree with this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I use a 56 in C#, so yeah I'd agree with this.

Exactly, I honestly don't know where string companies get these gauges from that they think are heavy enough...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
They pick like wee baby.

I PICK LIKE FREIGHT TRAIN GORILLA
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I've always found the lack of dedicated 7-string sets for drop tunings confusing to say the least. I swear something like 2/3 of bands in the universe using 7-strings use drop A or a lower drop tuning, and there's pretty much no choice other than buying 6-string sets and a single 7th in that case.
I know there are (or were) 7 string sets out there- I bought some to get the strings I needed for my electrics that are tuned to NST.

Edit: here ya go!
http://search.juststrings.com/search?catalog=juststrings&query=Seven+string&x=-944&y=-100
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2014,
You make your own set of baritone strings at nakedstrings.com. A set like 13-17-28-38-50-60 is good because it is similar to a medium-heavy 7-string 10 gauge mix that is good for dropped tuning.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

You need a set of medium baritone strings: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL157?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CIiZ_9vissACFYVDMgod8jAApQ

These strings will not fit in your existing nut. Have a guitar tech cut you a new nut for the big strings. Save your existing nut in case you want to switch back or sell the guitar later.
Quote by oneblackened
You want Drop A?

Try this:
.013"
.017"
.021"
.036"
.046"
.064"

^^This is more like it. I just bought a set of Not Even Slinkys for C# Standard and they're borderline too loose for the C# Standard to which I tune. I had to ditch the .56 low E and go buy a separate .59 to get adequate tension on chugs. Drop A is quite a bit lower...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by jpnyc
You need a set of medium baritone strings: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL157?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CIiZ_9vissACFYVDMgod8jAApQ

These strings will not fit in your existing nut. Have a guitar tech cut you a new nut for the big strings. Save your existing nut in case you want to switch back or sell the guitar later.

Oh... my... god... they're perfect! That set plus a high .010 and I'll finally have a proper 7 string set!

(Important thing to note here is that finding a single .010 is much easier than finding a single .068 where I live.)

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 27, 2014,
I've also considered that option but the middle strings in baritone sets are a bit too heavy for my liking. I'm perfectly content with 9-46 + .064 for my drop A 7-string now, although admittedly finding a .064 is difficult (besides Ernie Balls which seem to be always available).
Oke guys, I've bought a few sets, including a baritone and not even slinkys. I'm going to test them out real soon !! Thanks for the advice everyone