Page 1 of 2
My opinion: Its good for those times you lack motivation for strict training. Also good in forcing you out of your comfort zone and learn songs and techniques completely different from what you listen and usually practice.
As a dedicated learning tool its problematic but as supplementary material it has its place.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 25, 2014,
Its probably ok... If you are pretty new, but after awhile you probably wont get much progress out of it. But I guess if you got the money for it why not?
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Once you get past relatively basic material the tracking of notes just can't keep up. It's all right for beginners who lack motivation but even then you need to combine it with something else that will really tell you the right way of doing things. It's not good for advanced playing and it's not enough on its own.

If you have the money kicking around and nothing else to spend it on then go for it... but I'd say in the mean time there are probably more worth while things to spend your money on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've got both of the games and being in love with video games & guitars, this is a match made in paradise as you'd guess. The games do contain songs of various genres and difficulties, some of which would most probably be in your loved ones. As for the killer part, you CAN import custom songs if you own at least 1 original DLC, thus you can practice almost anything you want while playing a game.

Other than just playing songs, you can learn about guitar maintenance(not that fancy stuff, more like changing strings but better than nothing), techniques and improve yourself with built-in arcade games of sort.

In conclusion I have not regretted spending my money on both games even a second and recommend you to buy at least one-Rocksmith 2014 is the one I'd go for obviously.
Cheers!
I'd say, its a great game and go for it! I have both Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014. I use 2014 these days, to practice only as its a really fun way to do so, all the backing track and everything is there for you any stuff. But my main teacher is youtube and a couple of books. I use it for long hours of practice without getting tired which is awesome in itself.... Moreover you don't have to bear the torture of listening to what you play (For beginners) as it reduce your guitar volume if you suck really bad and try to cover up with other instruments and backing track.... But you can still listen to what you're playing so you can actually improve yourself without getting too much hazardous results (loud Shrilling noises due to half muted strings, displaced fingers) which you would get in real life....
Last edited by varundbest at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by varundbest
you don't have to bear the torture of listening to what you play (For beginners) as it reduce your guitar volume if you suck really bad and try to cover up with other instruments and backing track.... But you can still listen to what you're playing so you can actually improve yourself without getting too much hazardous results (loud Shrilling noises due to half muted strings, displaced fingers) which you would get in real life....

I'm confused as to exactly how this gigantic run-on sentence is supposed to work. I will say this however: not hearing exactly what you are playing is literally the worst thing you can possibly do. I am saying this with no trace of hyperbole, it is actually the worst possible thing you could do.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Captaincranky
Has anybody considered "Fret light" http://fretlight.com/ could be a superior tool for learning, as opposed to the toy category, "Rocksmith"?

By the looks of things they're about as useful as each other. They're both new ways of presenting the information that's already out there but neither will make you practice or put in the hours for you.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It's worth buying Rocksmith 2014 for the custom DLC and Session Mode alone. It's also great for motivating practice. When used in conjunction with online lessons it's great. Of course, paying for lessons from a guitar teacher would be the best way of learning to play but that's a great deal more expensive.

Basically it's not great on its own but is great in conjunction with other methods.
I bought when I still considered my self a beginner, albeit a relatively experienced beginner. TBH it didn't do much for me at all, however, my 10 year old son loves it and it gives him the motivation to pick up the guitar. It's not done a great deal for his technique or theory, but it's got him comfortable with the instrument, tuning it, and helped with his timing, all of which are good foundations to move on from.

I guess it's got a little to do with maturity, I'd rather watch a yt vid or read a book, whereas he'd get easily bored with that and rather have something a bit more engaging.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm confused as to exactly how this gigantic run-on sentence is supposed to work. I will say this however: not hearing exactly what you are playing is literally the worst thing you can possibly do. I am saying this with no trace of hyperbole, it is actually the worst possible thing you could do.

I know that and thats why i said that you can hear what you are playing but its wont sound as worse as with a real ammp but you can actually tweak the settings and increase your guitar volume and reduce the background stuff so all that becomes more conspicuous. In rocksmith, the band is there to support you you you are certain to sound better than without it so it is a must to practice with real amp too or you can just play on the menu screen...
Quote by varundbest
I know that and thats why i said that you can hear what you are playing but its wont sound as worse as with a real ammp but you can actually tweak the settings and increase your guitar volume and reduce the background stuff so all that becomes more conspicuous. In rocksmith, the band is there to support you you you are certain to sound better than without it so it is a must to practice with real amp too or you can just play on the menu screen...

I don't... I am still confused by what you are saying. Parsing your sentences is very difficult. English probably isn't your first language and I appreciate that but I'm having a lot of trouble getting what you mean from what you're saying.

Like, as far as I can see, there is no trace of what you're saying now in your other post.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I meant -
It does show you your mistakes but not as bad as they actually are and if you want them to be a bit more conspicuous then you can always suppress other volumes and increase your guitar's from the settings....

In the end, it's more or less of a morale booster till and help you practice with fun (for starters)....
Plus, you get authentic tabs...
Quote by varundbest
I meant -
It does show you your mistakes but not as bad as they actually are and if you want them to be a bit more conspicuous then you can always suppress other volumes and increase your guitar's from the settings...

Any amp can do that, this is really not a selling point.

Quote by varundbest
Plus, you get authentic tabs...

About as 'authentic' as anywhere else is likely to be. Unless they come direct from the original artist (which they don't) then there's no more reason to think they're 100% accurate than any other source because at the end of the day they're still being put together by some dude transcribing the tracks by ear.

Rocksmith is a deeply flawed tool for learning. It has 2 or 3 selling points but over all I really wish people would stop trying to push it as a replacement teacher. It will not teach you everything you need to become a great guitarist, in fact it will barely teach you what you need to be good.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^^ Who said anything about being the teacher? It's merely a practice tool and no substitute to online lessons and other sources. It's more of an inspiration gathering source, i myself enjoy it a lot (Not not really a great player, playing since 2012 on and off).

See it this way - While you practice, you can actually have all the backing track and get tabs according to your level and get scored for it and know how accurately you 'hit' (Not correctly, even if it buzz, it is considered a hit) the right note. It's nothing more than a fun way to 'practice' playing guitar with few lessons. If you take it as your only source for learning then all you will learn is how to play 'Rocksmith' using a guitar as a controller and not how to play the real thing.

But it is a worth buying tool.
Last edited by varundbest at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by varundbest
^^ Who said anything about being the teacher? It's merely a practice tool and no substitute to online lessons and other sources. It's more of an inspiration gathering source, i myself enjoy it a lot (Not not really a great player, playing since 2012 on and off).

It says on their home page, twice, that it is "the fastest way to learn guitar". It also says, on their 60 day challenge page, that all you need to do is play it 1 hour a day for 60 days and you'll become proficient.

Gamification of learning is a good way to engage people in almost any task... but Rocksmith has a number of flaws that I believe break it completely as a tool for realistically learning to play guitar well. There is nothing that the game particularly offers over anything you can find for free on the internet that is actually worth the money, at least not that I've seen.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
If you are serious about learning guitar, it's more efficient to learn guitar and not play Rocksmith.

However, if you enjoy the game then there's nothing wrong with that and as long as you are playing correctly it shouldn't hurt your playing any more than playing with guitar pro or something would (I have a limited understanding of the game so I assume you play along with it like guitar hero, but fretting actual notes?)
Quote by Anon17
I have a limited understanding of the game so I assume you play along with it like guitar hero, but fretting actual notes?

That's exactly what it is, only the tracking can't keep up with the playing past a certain pace so things like this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs

Rocksmith have assured me that she's definitely the one playing along to it... which I'm kind of prepared to believe since you can just about hear her (playing terribly) if you really listen. That means either the game can't keep up with the playing and tends to err in favour of building score or they're lying straight to my face on Twitter and some one else is playing the game footage.

Either way... this is a complete crock.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 28, 2014,
Playing terribly..? She's 10 years old and hadn't gone anywhere near a guitar until Rocksmith as far as I remember. Doesn't sound too bad to me tbh.
Quote by arv1971
Playing terribly..? She's 10 years old and hadn't gone anywhere near a guitar until Rocksmith as far as I remember. Doesn't sound too bad to me tbh.
The primary problem with "Rocksmith", is that it allows you to build poor technique. You might be able to form a D chord pressing buttons, but will your fingers be curved correctly to play it cleanly once you encounter actual strings? I tend to doubt it. So IMHO, this is just a toy. Perhaps if you use it faithfully for a few months, you'll be able to enter "air guitar" contests, and truly excel! Happy arm, swinging...!

As far as the girl in the video goes, surely you've heard the term, "poster child", haven't you?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by arv1971

Her age and lack of experience don't make her playing any better and (and this was the point anyway) it sure as hell doesn't excuse the flat out lies that either the game or the developer (depending which side of that coin you prefer) is telling everyone.

Watch her hands and listen more carefully; her playing is mixed so low you have to really be very attentive to hear it at all but she is out of time on just about all of it, misses anything that she can't hit with a downstroke, and makes a joke of the solo.

This is not an insult to her, this is a statement of fact: she is a bad guitarist. Rocksmith scores her at 98% or whatever, which is just flat out bullshit. Something about it all stinks to high heaven, that's not her fault but she's still a bad player.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Captaincranky
You might be able to form a D chord pressing buttons, but will your fingers be curved correctly to play it cleanly once you encounter actual strings? I tend to doubt it. So IMHO, this is just a toy.?

It's a real guitar dude...not a toy...this ain't "guitar hero".
I think it's a good way to get people to start playing the guitar, but you shouldn't solely use it to learn how to play the guitar. For guitarists it's a good way to keep a guitar in your hands outside practice time by using your guitar as the controller to play 'games' (there's a few minigames which test your fretboard and chord knowledge).

Good to learn songs? Yes. Good to learn to play an instrument? No.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by vaidasx

The principle of what he's getting at still stands, as far as I know there is nothing about Rocksmith that will teach you good technique, nor focus on anything other than getting the notes in the right places. Any guitarist worth their salt will tell you that getting the notes in the right places isn't everything.

Not that it does that very well past the basics anyway.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vaidasx

My bad. But then, why not "Fret Light"?

And then to reiterate, the girl in the video is their "poster child". You do have to assume she is one of their big, "successes", certainly not one of their failures.

There are such things as "child prodigies". Children who pick up guitars, sit at the piano, or draw bows on the violin, without benefit of artificial learning aids, and excel at very young ages.

Being an old timer, I'm appalled at the number of "internet age babies", who really believe in their heart, that all you have to do is join a forum, ask a couple of questions, and you will be bathed in carbon arc lighting, and worshiped by the multitudes, inside of six months.

I spend most of my time in the Acoustic & Classical Forum where, I answer questions like, "can I put .009 to .042 electric strings on my acoustic". Then there's, "my fingers are black and they have grooves in them when I play, how can I stop this? Well, you pretty much can't, which usually doesn't qualify as the answer a fledgling guitar player wants to hear.
Quote by Captaincranky
My bad. But then, why not fret light?

Dude... £20 for a game and cable versus how much to either get a fretlight neck or buy a fretlight guitar? Be reasonable.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I used Rocksmith as a noob and I had a lot of fun with it, but I haven't used it in months.
Rocksmith is not a good teaching tool, but it is a fun activity that familiarizes new players with the guitar.

I'll say it like this:
If you've never played guitar before, you'll get a lot more value out of Rocksmith than you would out of spending the same amount of money on guitar lessons.
At the same time you need to be realistic about the fact that it's not teaching you to play guitar. It's teaching you to play Rocksmith.
There's nothing wrong with learning to play Rocksmith, but eventually you'll need to put it down and start learning to play guitar instead.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Dude... £20 for a game and cable versus how much to either get a fretlight neck or buy a fretlight guitar? Be reasonable.
Well, I'm usually presented with a budget in terms of, "I want to play the acoustic guitar". $200.00 bucks seems to be a reasonable entry point.

"Fret Light" instruments are appearing at lower price points, bordering on entry prices.

With the game, ostensibly you'll outgrow it quickly, and need to buy the guitar anyway.

If we're speaking ion terms of the electric arena, some Squire starter pack are a hundred bucks or thereabouts. (If I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me).

Guitar players are as prone to thinking there are shortcuts, as marketers are to telling them there are.

So, with as many free tutorials as there are available on the web, IMHO, buy a guitar and be done with it. Learn the names of the notes on the fret board. Learn what a "Key" is, and how to pull the chords from it, and have fun playing along with song tutorials while you're at it.

Quote by paul.housley.7
...[ ]....I'll say it like this:
If you've never played guitar before, you'll get a lot more value out of Rocksmith than you would out of spending the same amount of money on guitar lessons...[ ]...
As I pointed out above, there is so free material on the web for learning to play, a standard guitar teacher has become a luxury, more so than a necessity
I started playing guitar in April. I enrolled in lessons but I wasn't very thrilled with the instructor. After the prepaid lessons ended I decided that I wanted to try a different shop. The shop that I switched to specializes in rock music.

Combined with the lessons and playing Rocksmith for at least two hours a day I have seen a vast improvement in my guitar playing. However that being said there are somethings that Rocksmith can not teach. For the most part it is a great way for beginners like me to get familiar with the guitar.
Quote by Captaincranky

As I pointed out above, there is so free material on the web for learning to play, a standard guitar teacher has become a luxury, more so than a necessity

That's true, and in the spirit of cooperation I'll link a few that I've gotten some benefit from.

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php
Justin Guitar - teach you good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRhiOggvto&list=UUJgRMHrtQpnhKHdsGiFQRyQ
I've learned lots of stuff from Marty

But let's not dismiss the value of Rocksmith entirely. Rocksmith still helps because it holds your hand when you're most in need of hand-holding. Some guys love guitar and never needed to be encouraged - I get that - but if you're one of those guys then Rocksmith is definitely not for you.

I myself did not ever consider trying to learn the guitar until I played Guitar Hero in front of a large crowd at a party. They were impressed with my "skills", but I didn't quite complete the song and afterwards I started feeling depressed about it. My Guitar Hero experience eventually introduced me to a borrowed Fender Stratocaster, but Rocksmith introduced lots of chord-shapes and even some pentatonic shapes that I didn't recognize until later. Now that I'm starting to learn how to play guitar for real it's common for me to look back at the Rocksmith songs and say "oh yeah I remember doing something like this when I was playing that song in Rocksmith".

And there you have it.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by mflames
...[ ]...Combined with the lessons and playing Rocksmith for at least two hours a day I have seen a vast improvement in my guitar playing. However that being said there are somethings that Rocksmith can not teach. For the most part it is a great way for beginners like me to get familiar with the guitar.
Forgive me for being so old school, but a guitar is a grat way to become familiar with the guitar also.

Here's free lessons: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Assuming a beginner has managed to avoid some pitfalls with regard to technique, I kind of think an instructor might come in handy later more so than sooner.

Suppose you wanted to play country. Suppose you learned a lot on your own, but hit a wall with respect to specific licks and such, involved with this type of music. An experienced player, (I think). could move you along fairly quickly, building over the experience you already have.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's exactly what it is, only the tracking can't keep up with the playing past a certain pace so things like this happen:

Now, I dont like Rocksmith and have not touched them much after getting them but if you have note detection issues its most likely a problem with a set up. The game is not plug and play. Obviously you have to have the console connected directly to hifi system with optical or coaxial cable to remove lag from that side, but TV input lag is also important and you have to sync them. IIRC the game defaults to 50ms lag, which is about right for most TVs in "gaming mode" that are not really good for gaming (hardcore gamers aim below 30ms for their TVs), but most people who dont know a thing about this stuff are always in normal TV mode with all the motion interpolation stuff on and the lag is closer to 100ms, even above. When you are sight reading you may think you are hitting the notes on time but in reality inside the console the note has long passed you.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by mflames
Combined with the lessons and playing Rocksmith for at least two hours a day I have seen a vast improvement in my guitar playing. However that being said there are somethings that Rocksmith can not teach. For the most part it is a great way for beginners like me to get familiar with the guitar.

I would be willing to be a substantial amount of money that it's just playing rather than specifically Rocksmith that helped. You play that much as a beginner and you've got to improve.

Quote by MaaZeus
Now, I dont like Rocksmith and have not touched them much after getting them but if you have note detection issues its most likely a problem with a set up. The game is not plug and play. Obviously you have to have the console connected directly to hifi system with optical or coaxial cable to remove lag from that side, but TV input lag is also important and you have to sync them. IIRC the game defaults to 50ms lag, which is about right for most TVs in "gaming mode" that are not really good for gaming (hardcore gamers aim below 30ms for their TVs), but most people who dont know a thing about this stuff are always in normal TV mode with all the motion interpolation stuff on and the lag is closer to 100ms, even above. When you are sight reading you may think you are hitting the notes on time but in reality inside the console the note has long passed you.

Watch the video I posted man: it's not a detection issue like lag or not picking up notes, and I'm not talking about myself. It is literally scoring the kid for atrocious, wrong, sloppy, out of time playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
The only problem with Rocksmith is that the Expectations are quite high for it!

I only take it as a tool which arranges backing track and tabs for me and later on score me (Which is sometimes irrelevant) and thats enough for the price you pay. It's one of the main reasons why people start playing guitar and they find it 'cool' and 'fun' way to do so than just practice 1,2,3,4 or scales which most guitar teachers make you do for practice (Which is also necessary).

I'd say it is a must buy for any guy with motivation problems....
The video is not a good proof that the kid is playing out ot time, largely because the camera is unknown. The camera might be encoding the visuals slightly slower than the audio, which would result in a tiny bit of lag.

This is in addition to the "real" rocksmith lag (i asked a working musician about it and he said that there is a small amount).
I also wouldn't bet my life that youtube's encoding process didn't add even more lag, and we don't know what program was used to mix the video clips together or which source the sound comes from, so what we're seeing on the forum is probably a tiny amount of rocksmith lag compounded by multiple other tiny additions.
Take it with a grain of salt.
Quote by paul.housley.7
The video is not a good proof that the kid is playing out ot time, largely because the camera is unknown. The camera might be encoding the visuals slightly slower than the audio, which would result in a tiny bit of lag.

This is in addition to the "real" rocksmith lag (i asked a working musician about it and he said that there is a small amount).
I also wouldn't bet my life that youtube's encoding process didn't add even more lag, and we don't know what program was used to mix the video clips together or which source the sound comes from, so what we're seeing on the forum is probably a tiny amount of rocksmith lag compounded by multiple other tiny additions.
Take it with a grain of salt.

Are you... looking at what she's actually doing? Listening to what tiny amount of her guitar is still present in that mix?

She's awful. There's no shame in it, but she is.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 28, 2014,
That's fair enough.

I just wanted to make sure nobody was mislead about the video. You can judge her technique with your eyes and if you can hear her playing then you can judge that with your ears, but you can't trust that the audio is synced up properly with the video.
Quote by paul.housley.7
That's fair enough.

I just wanted to make sure nobody was mislead about the video. You can judge her technique with your eyes and if you can hear her playing then you can judge that with your ears, but you can't trust that the audio is synced up properly with the video.

Oh no, it's the whole of the thing; she's out of time in both directions at various points

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
And it does show one of the reasons why you shouldn't use rocksmith past a certain level of interest. If you care enough to want to play well then the first thing you should do is to stop playing rocksmith.
Page 1 of 2