Good day gentlemen.
I need ur opinion guys. I got jackson performer ps4, an old good instrument but with floyd rose. i'm tired of tuning it, and decided to buy myself a new guitar with fixed bridge.
So after spending few days in the internet and shops in my town i got few options, and i need ur opinions about these guitars. I tried just few. Melody maker, lag, and Epiphone Les Paul Studio Limited Edition. Now what i could not find and try are these: schecter BLACKJACK ATX SOLO-II, and Washburn PXL20EWH. So overal here is my options:
1. Gibson Melody maker 2014 http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Melody-Maker.aspx
2. Lag Imperator I200 http://usa.lagguitars.com/Imperator/200//Old-Port-Shadow-p126418.html
3. Epi LP std Limited Edition
4. http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/blackjack-atx-solo-ii-2013-11-14-detail
5. washburn PXL20 http://www.washburn.com/products/electric/PXL20EWH.html

Now whats really catched my attention are last 2. I could not find them in my shops. these 2 seems to be thin, lightweight and vary comfortable guitars. Ofcourse all reviews that i saw was good about these 2. But i'm interested in opinions of regular players.(washburn is what i'm thinking about right now, but buyng a guitar for 850$ from indonesia......) I really need lightweight, comfortable guitar, with good sustain and sound, and LP profile. I'm not hunting for big names like les paul and prs, I know there are alot of vary good instruments from other brands, that much cost efficient than top brands. I play punk, brit rock, alternative music, also i'm tryng to experiment with ambient sounds. So i'm asking you to share ur expirience with me about those guitars.
i'm sorry for my English, i'm Russian
While Indonesian guitars earned a bad rep in past years, there are an increasing number of good guitars coming out of Indonesian factories these days- comparable to those made in Korea. I don't about know the Washburn you mentioned in particular, though

I don't know the Gibson, either, but the others seem to have a decent reputation.

Can you tell us more about your budget? Are you willing to buy used? Where do you live? (That can affect product availability, and thus, advice.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^+1 G&L Tribute are MII but are incredibly well made.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes they are! They're made in Indonesia with mostly the same parts as the higher-priced USA models. Good value for money.

In fact, given your taste in music, one of the G&L Tribute models might REALLY be a good idea!

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/index_new.asp

Look at the Fallout, the Ascari GT-90, the ASAT Classic Bluesboy, and the ASAT Junior II. I know they're not LP clones, but they're well-made, affordable, and should deliver you a LOT of suitable tones.

Something like a Godin Core P90 might also be a good option for you. Made in Canada- good quality control- and a pair of nice P90s...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 25, 2014,
I still play my Yamaha strat copy from 1995! Was $550 then.

Consider looking at them, they have a reputation of building great instruments for a long time. Nothing sexy, just solid, reliable instruments.
Thanks for reply. I havent heard about G&L guitars at all, they seems to be viable guitars. I like that Fallout u've recommended, because it got both Humbucker and P90(don like neck and bridge p90 on melody maker- a bit too bright, and people say it makes guitar to buzz) Also I like that telestlye bluesboy u've mentioned, i heard few guys playing ambient music on telecaster like guitars. But as far as i conserned - telecasters are vary heavy, which is not an option for me... And they got volume/switch control right below the bridge pickup, which is one of the reason i don like my Jackson and by the way, this is why i cant buy LTD... all of the ESP ltd LPshaped guitars got volume control right below bridge, which is really annoyng to me.(and all PRS models except marty friedman model, but it is still too close)
I live in Russia Saint-Petersburg. I havent seen G&L guitars here. But i saw Godin guitars, didn liked them tho, maybe i should watch them closer next time. I will have 800-900$ for new guitar next month, after my vacation. And maybe I will buy used guitar if it is worthy one.
Again thank u for quick and adequate reply, cant have it in the forums of my country
I have a G&L ASAT Deluxe which is very LP-ish it has humbuckers with coil tap, mahogany body with a flame maple cap.

pretty sure UG is a Russian site
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by FrettieMercury
I still play my Yamaha strat copy from 1995! Was $550 then.

Consider looking at them, they have a reputation of building great instruments for a long time. Nothing sexy, just solid, reliable instruments.

I watched Yamaha guitars, also. One of my favourite guitarists Wes Borland got awkward(imho) signature model there. SG1820 looks vary cool to my taste, alsto Phil X got signature white model of it. But as I heard it weights alot, which is not an option for me. I need guitar that weights not more than 4kg(pounds). Maybe someone got expirience with this guitars, and can tell me if it is really that heavy as people say.(also heard they got fat necks )
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a G&L ASAT Deluxe which is very LP-ish it has humbuckers with coil tap, mahogany body with a flame maple cap.

pretty sure UG is a Russian site

That one looks vaary sexy, BUT that volume controll knob will cause me massive butthurt . I'll try to find them.
Btw what do u mean UG is a russian site??? o_O
Quote by razel777
That one looks vaary sexy, BUT that volume controll knob will cause me massive butthurt . I'll try to find them.
Btw what do u mean UG is a russian site??? o_O

I have been using it for 4 months and no issues with the volume knob (for me at least).

I'm pretty sure this site is either Russian or hosted by a Russian server

here have a shot of vodka
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Omg you are right... It is our Russian dude who created that site, heh that is really fun fact for me to know.
Thanks, I dont drink
U forgot bears with balalaikas

I always touch my volume knob when play rhytm or riffs, then volume goes down and after that i'm tryng bite this thing off Just kidding, its just makes me feel uncomfortable when i play.
Quote by razel777
Thanks for reply. I havent heard about G&L guitars at all, they seems to be viable guitars. I like that Fallout u've recommended, because it got both Humbucker and P90(don like neck and bridge p90 on melody maker- a bit too bright, and people say it makes guitar to buzz) Also I like that telestlye bluesboy u've mentioned, i heard few guys playing ambient music on telecaster like guitars. But as far as i conserned - telecasters are vary heavy, which is not an option for me... And they got volume/switch control right below the bridge pickup, which is one of the reason i don like my Jackson and by the way, this is why i cant buy LTD... all of the ESP ltd LPshaped guitars got volume control right below bridge, which is really annoyng to me.(and all PRS models except marty friedman model, but it is still too close)
I live in Russia Saint-Petersburg. I havent seen G&L guitars here. But i saw Godin guitars, didn liked them tho, maybe i should watch them closer next time. I will have 800-900$ for new guitar next month, after my vacation. And maybe I will buy used guitar if it is worthy one.
Again thank u for quick and adequate reply, cant have it in the forums of my country

I got to visit St. Petersburg & Moscow back in 2005. You live in a beautiful city- I would love to return sometime.

This site has a lot of brands I recognize & recommend.
http://www.tdnn.ru

If you can go there, look at the Reverend guitars. Of all the products listed in that store, I know they have the biggest variety of guitars that suit your needs. They're well made and they are very tonally flexible. All are made of korina, which is a relatively lightweight wood. (I own 3, and I'm shopping for more, so feel free to ask me about them.) In the USA, they're in your price range. Unfortunately, despite my visit to your country, I don't read Cyrillic, and can't really see how they're priced how many they actually stock.

Swapping the volume and tone controls is a relatively simple modification, so it should be inexpensive to do if you find a guitar you like otherwise. On Telecasters, it was first done in the 1950's for Bill Kirchen, so it's known by his name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&sns=em

Does anyone have the "When you download tabs from UG, you're downloading communism"" picture?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Unfortunately don't know the guitars that well so can't help in the exact choice, but seriously, don't look at the "made in Indonesia" tag. Some companies make really good lower-mid or midrange guitars in there, and there is literally no reason to consider it being made in Indonesia to be a negative factor. Only the reputation of the company and their quality control matters, and it's pretty much always good to check and play the guitar yourself before buying unless you order some custom shop high end stuff.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I got to visit St. Petersburg & Moscow back in 2005. You live in a beautiful city- I would love to return sometime.

This site has a lot of brands I recognize & recommend.
http://www.tdnn.ru

If you can go there, look at the Reverend guitars. Of all the products listed in that store, I know they have the biggest variety of guitars that suit your needs. They're well made and they are very tonally flexible. All are made of korina, which is a relatively lightweight wood. (I own 3, and I'm shopping for more, so feel free to ask me about them.) In the USA, they're in your price range. Unfortunately, despite my visit to your country, I don't read Cyrillic, and can't really see how they're priced how many they actually stock.

Swapping the volume and tone controls is a relatively simple modification, so it should be inexpensive to do if you find a guitar you like otherwise. On Telecasters, it was first done in the 1950's for Bill Kirchen, so it's known by his name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&sns=em

I feel vary silly, when a person from another part of the freakn world shows me where can i find what i need in my own city I mean seriously how could not I found this store? U amaze me. Thank u vary much kind man, I wish I could have more people such as u around me. my life would be much richer than it is atm. I would shake ur hand if I could.

So, I watched this site and found alot of new options, that just freaks me out in good way. The fact that there so many brands that I dont know makes me suspicious... Ok I know Dean guitars and DBZ guitars are made by their members(btw Venom and Bird of prey looks sooo sexy, that Rhandys Vs looks like old madam), but other brands... like MAYONES... are not cheap at all, and the fact that it got the name of food (mayonnaise in russian) Lol, well its all jokes ofcourse, and i should check them out bymyself.
Btw I wonder how did u know about all these brands, that regular players dont know? And i watched ur previous posts, u advise a big variety of different guitars to other people. Do u work at some huge guitars stores? where did u got that expirience? Before ur posts i knew like 7-9 popular brands, now I feel like I can find so much alternatives to those popular guitars like gibson, without payng 50% just for a name.
I've listened to Reverend Sensei http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7h7ZonrgvE and few more guitars, and they sound vary interesting. The fact that this dude got heavy overdrive this guitar sounds "clear" and vary "beafy" at the same moment, when jackson, for example, would sound a bit messy. I hope i'll be able to touch it myself, so I could make my personal opinion about it.
Again, thank you vary much, wish I could have ur expirience in my hands.
Does anyone have the "When you download tabs from UG, you're downloading communism"" picture?

Actually if u would watch in encyclopedias about comunism, and tried to build ur personal opinion about comunism(without listening to what other people said) u would understand that it is not such a bad thing theoreticly it would make all people happy, well at least partly, u would not have to worry about things like where can i get house, or flat to live in when i'll grow up, where should i get money, why there is this idiot who write rap about puting his huge penis in other girls vaginas, about drinking and spending money on things that he dont need, gets more money than ingeneer that spend alot of time developing his mind and creating things that will benefit to all people, and make them happy not just for few minutes. In Russia, when we had comunism we had one of the best products in the world, education was one of the best(if not the best) in the world, and at the same time people was equal. But this is an utopia, and unfortunaley u cant make everyone happy, there always will be fags that will want more. well i guess this theme is for another forum.
Btw there is american engineer named Jacque Fresco, he got project Venus - maybe u've heard of him. His project is awesome and basicly what hes trying to do called comunism, it just called another way, because americans think that it is some kind of forom of russian Satanism haha
Quote by TheLiberation
Unfortunately don't know the guitars that well so can't help in the exact choice, but seriously, don't look at the "made in Indonesia" tag. Some companies make really good lower-mid or midrange guitars in there, and there is literally no reason to consider it being made in Indonesia to be a negative factor. Only the reputation of the company and their quality control matters, and it's pretty much always good to check and play the guitar yourself before buying unless you order some custom shop high end stuff.

Actually u r 100% true. Steriotipes, and other people opinions ruins our personal expiriences. All people of the world used to think(and some still does think so) that "made in china" - is a 100% sign of bad quality product. But now, if u will take smartphones for example - u will see that they make some high quality products for low prices. I have Huawei smartphone, I recharge it once a week, I can watch youtube videos, youjizz videos, play some 3d games, and emulate old nes,sega,snes games with attached joystick, listen to 16gb of music in high quality, and all this cost 250$! when my friend have this iphone with this dumb melody he cant change, and accumulator which hes recharging every 4 hours
Same thing with guitars i gues,and watching on dannyalcatraz's expirience and advises makes me think it is true. Here i found a video about washburn guitars in indonesia, ofc these guys do not look that healthy and rich like guys from gibson, but I think they know what they r doing , and instruments looks pretty decent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6wnVDR4hHY
The reason I could find that store is because I'm a big fan of Reverend guitars and theyre a Reverend dealer...the only one in all of Russia! So it boils down to coincidence.

As for the rest?

I know the brands I know because of a few reasons:

1) I am a compulsive and patient researcher. It is rare for me to make a big purchase without doing a lot of looking around. When I first decided to get an electric guitar, it took me a year to find what I wanted. And even though I live in a big city with lots of options, I had to special order what I wanted.

It took me THREE years to find an amp.

Right now, I probably have @250 guitar brands bookmarked on my iPad, with my numbers for associated gear (amps, straps, pedals, etc.) rising too. I keep track of who the builders are and what they're doing.

2) while I do use brands as guideposts in my research, I'm not stopping there. So I'm willing to try stuff nobody else is looking at.

3) I try to find good people to listen to for stuff I can't verify directly. In this case, that means builders, engineers and guitar techs who take guitar gear apart and put it back together on a regular basis.

4) I have enough disposable income to experiment. That means I can occasionally make a "risky" purchase and see for myself how good something is.

Result: a biggish collection of guitars, with 11 brands represented, plus a HUGE list of guitars I'd like to buy.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The reason I could find that store is because I'm a big fan of Reverend guitars and theyre a Reverend dealer...the only one in all of Russia! So it boils down to coincidence.

As for the rest?

I know the brands I know because of a few reasons:

1) I am a compulsive and patient researcher. It is rare for me to make a big purchase without doing a lot of looking around. When I first decided to get an electric guitar, it took me a year to find what I wanted. And even though I live in a big city with lots of options, I had to special order what I wanted.

It took me THREE years to find an amp.

Right now, I probably have @250 guitar brands bookmarked on my iPad, with my numbers for associated gear (amps, straps, pedals, etc.) rising too. I keep track of who the builders are and what they're doing.

2) while I do use brands as guideposts in my research, I'm not stopping there. So I'm willing to try stuff nobody else is looking at.

3) I try to find good people to listen to for stuff I can't verify directly. In this case, that means builders, engineers and guitar techs who take guitar gear apart and put it back together on a regular basis.

4) I have enough disposable income to experiment. That means I can occasionally make a "risky" purchase and see for myself how good something is.

Result: a biggish collection of guitars, with 11 brands represented, plus a HUGE list of guitars I'd like to buy.

Thats a good quality of a character u have, and I should learn that from you.
250 brands... lol I did not expect that there are so many of them, and I know only like 7-10 .
Can you tell me why do you like reverened that much? what catches you when u listen to them? Also what criterion do you use when you look on guitar? I think that will help me alot when I will choose my new instrument. Btw you sad that it took you 3 years to find an amp... Thats what really interesting, and I just must ask you why? what took you so long ? I play through line 6 external sound card, but I also have marshal amp, I bought it without watching on alternative, so now i'm thinking of my trading skills, that they lack quality.
I found 2 models I like in Reverend Manta ray, and Sensei. But they are not cheap both are about 900-1000, so now i'm thinking about decision i have to make
Thank you vary much for you answears, you really helping me alot.
Hm- a lot to answer!

Quote by razel777

Can you tell me why do you like reverened that much? what catches you when u listen to them?

Reverend is a small, American designed brand whose guitars are made in Korea. I hadn't heard of them until @2010, and didn't actually SEE one in person until late 2012. I found out Reeves Gabrels- one of my favorite guitarists- used them, so I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

When I went into the store to try one out, I fell in love with his sig model...and every other one I tried! They felt great in my hands. They sounded great. I wound up buying one within a month.

I like them because of the sound, consistency and quality they deliver for the price.

By design, they use the same neck profile on nearly all their guitars- differing only in the scale length & attachment method- so if you like one Rev's neck, you'll like them all. This also saves money. So does the fact that all their guitars are made of korina. Most of the stock pickups are pretty good, and some (the RevTrons, the RailHammers) are outstanding.

Then there is the virtually unique bass contour control (which works like a tone knob for lower pitched notes), and you get instruments with a surprising range of tonal options.

Add in the fact that the guitars are made in Korea, but all are inspected & set up in the USA by just a handful of people and you get very good quality control. I own 3 Reverends, one made in 2006, one in 2010, and one in 2012, and not one of them has a manufacturing defect.

Also what criterion do you use when you look on guitar?

In order:
1) comfort & feel. If I don't like the way it feels in my hands, there's no point in looking further.
2) quality of manufacture. A guitar is a big purchase, and it shouldn't fall apart or have nagging issues that could turn into major ones
3) how does it sound. This matters more on acoustics, because electrics can have their wiring and pups changed if need be.
4) how does it look. It matters, but not as much as the factors above.
5) price. I'm willing to pay more for guitars I really love, but sometimes I'll compromise ad get a lesser axe because it is good enough and the price is right. And some guitars, no matter how good, are not worth paying for.

Btw you sad that it took you 3 years to find an amp... Thats what really interesting, and I just must ask you why? what took you so long ?

Part of it was that I couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted in an amp. Since I was't in a band and had a portable digital modeling device (a Korg Px4) to play through with headphones, I wasn't under any time pressure. Plus, I got to save up my $$$.

Eventually, I figured out it wanted a tube combo amp that had a great clean tone that would be a blank page for me to use with pedals. Given what was available in my area, I narrowed it down to a Peavey, a Vox, and a Fender. The Peavey turned me off, but the Vox & Fender were in a dead heat. I ultimately decided to go with the Fender HRD.

I found 2 models I like in Reverend Manta ray, and Sensei. But they are not cheap both are about 900-1000, so now i'm thinking about decision i have to make

I am looking at those myself! The 2011 Manta Ray 390 Limited Edition and the Sensei RT, to be exact.

Been thinking...you wrote you liked:
punk, brit rock, alternative music, also i'm tryng to experiment with ambient sounds

You might want to take a closer look at the guitars with P90s- I've seen a lot of bands in those genres using them. If you haven't tried them, they're a kind of singlecoil that also has some of the punch associated with humbuckers.

Among the Revs, there are several models that sport them, including a Manta Ray and a Sensei, but also the Double Agent, which pairs a neck P90 with a HB in the bridge. Other good options would be a

Also, I've been looking at that St. Petersburg shop I pointed out to you, and DAMN! They have a great selection of stuff on their site. But because I can't read Russian, I can't tell what's in stock or what things cost.

Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but right now, it's killing me. I decided to check their stock to see if they had some of the Revs I wanted to recommend to you, and I found they're comparable to many of my favorite online stores (so now I've bookmarked it ).

And in the process, I stumbled on their listings for the 2011 Manta Ray 390- the axe I'm looking for- in all colors. That is a rare guitar. Only 48 of the violin brown were made, and each of the other five colors were limited to 8, as I recall. I had located 4 of the violins online, and now only 2 are still left for sale. I haven't seen ANY of the other colors available anywhere else.

If you go to this store, TELL ME IF THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THEM! (If they do, I hope someone there speaks English!)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 27, 2014,