I'm a songwriter (at least that's what I'd like to call myself) though I mostly write male songs I still feel the need to sing well to interpret my songs. I go off key here and there and my timing is not great (always a little bit behind). I'd like some advice how I can improve my singing (or whether it's okay already).

Here's a song that I just recorded: https://soundcloud.com/seaninfa/f*ck-you-angel-acoustic

(To access the link, substitute * with u)

Thank you in advance!
I'd recommend working on the off-key singing. Wouldn't be saying that, since you already did, but it's very bothersome that almost every single "Angel, f*cking angel" phrase is off.
The high bits sound whiny/nasally - my bet is your mouth isn't very open and your tongue is pushed way up because of that. Relax your jaw and open up more, it should probably sound more natural.
I go off key here and there and my timing is not great (always a little bit behind).

Well, you could work on those things.

Overall, your breath control seems pretty poor. It's not smooth, so I suspect you're not breathing properly. You also don't trust yourself when it comes to those high notes so you are holding way back, which never sounds good - but again, poor technique is a big part of the problem here.

Get thee to a singing teacher.
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I know my vocal range is quite limited and I can't seem to find many songs my range to practice with. A few Carpenters tracks maybe, but that's about it.

Quote by HotspurJr
Get thee to a singing teacher.
As soon as I could afford it, I hope!

I've been teaching myself to sing since the beginning of this year, but breathing and going off-key seem to be a problem that never goes away. I also have a real problem with the jaw joints (TMJ/artritis) which I can do nothing much about, even with surgery it is risky. Any recommended vocal exercise to fix this part, especially the breathing?
Quote by seaninf

As soon as I could afford it, I hope!

I've been teaching myself to sing since the beginning of this year, but breathing and going off-key seem to be a problem that never goes away. I also have a real problem with the jaw joints (TMJ/artritis) which I can do nothing much about, even with surgery it is risky. Any recommended vocal exercise to fix this part, especially the breathing?

Find some local group lessons. They won't be too expensive.

I honestly don't feel like there's a great way to learn singing without a teacher. If it's important to you, find a way to save up the money.

The problem is that it's often about a teacher recognizing what you're doing wrong and giving you specific advice to fix it. And then, since you're not aware of it, they have to fix whatever you're doing to try to fix it.

eg, for me, when I reach for high notes, I subconsciously lift my head and neck, which adds tension. The teacher figured out that the way to get me to stop doing that was to get me to not THINK of high notes as being physically higher than low notes, but rather to mentally lay them out with a keyboard. It turns out that advice like, "don't tense your neck muscles" is really hard for people to apply.
What about any recommended books on singing?

I've been taking guitar lessons from a private instructor (just starting) and that's how I'm going to learn to train my ears, but when it comes to vocals it is out of control. With vocal limitations, I never really see myself as a performing vocalist (for some reason, I want to be a better one so that I could sing my songs properly) but in the long run I don't want to ruin my voice. A singing teacher/coach would be a great idea, but I feel that a really good one is going to cost a lot.
I honestly don't think you can learn to sing from a book. I've looked at a few, even bought one or two, but it wasn't until I started taking lessons that I started to feel like I could sing well.