Hey folks, I hope you're all doing good.

I'll cut to the chase, I'm looking into purchasing a Telecaster. My budget, (at the moment) is around 500 Euros - I'm not sure what that is in dollars, maybe 700 or so. (I'm living in the Netherlands at the moment).

So I took a look around and read some stuff, and it seems that the Mexican Standard Telecasters are a pretty good buy for the price, but I have heard SO much contradicting information about them. Some people say there is a huge difference between the Mexican and the American, others say there's nothing etc. However the general consensus is that the Mexican is pretty much the same, bar the quality of the finish on the frets, tuners etc. Does anyone have any experience of this that could give me some actual facts?

Also, a lot of people seem to suggest the Squier 50's Classic Vibe telecasters which are slightly cheaper than the Mexican standards I think. But surely the build quality is a lot lower on the Squiers?

The type of stuff I want to play with the Tele will range from lighter stuff such as The Police to Blues and Jazz stuff. Nothing that is going to use a lot of distortion or anything. I currently have a Gibson Les Paul and a Fat Strat so I REALLY want that loose, jangly sound that the Telecaster seems to give so well.

What do you guys suggest?
Try them and ignore what's written on them. A good MIM tele can be a really good thing, as can some Squiers if you upgrade the hardware. The problem with them is consistency - you have to be the QC inspector.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I've heard that's the case, good point. I also heard that the MIM and MIA necks and bodies are interchangeable in the factories, (i.e. they mix and match) but that seems like bull to me haha
It varies. I own a USA Tele that I got used and I love it but I have played Mexi Teles that were mighty nice. A sweet guitar is a sweet guitar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well, for one, there are more differences between the MIM and the MIA Teles- most important of which is the pickups. I don't know if you purposely omitted that, but I figure it's worth saying just in case.

I've definitely heard the difference as when I was shopping for a Tele. I chose the MIA. I much prefer the MIA , I love the Custom Shop pickups on mine, and I'd recommend it to you over the MIM for your purposes. It's a bit above your budget though, unless maybe you find one in your price range used (no idea how much they cost outside the US). Despite that, I think an MIM Tele would do the job just fine.
Who keeps the original pups in their guitars?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Who keeps the original pups in their guitars?

People who like how they sound.

Serious question: how do you know you like your guitar's sound if you know you're going to swap the pickups?
It's called imagination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would look at G&L ASAT ,G&L is Leo Fenders last company ..... G&L's Tribute or American is a better value and quality for the price range than any Fender MIM or American
Quote by Cathbard
It's called imagination.

That seems tough. What kind of pickups have you put on your Telecaster? I'm gonna have a look around and see if any of them would fit my style.
I only use the bridge pup. One has a Rio Grande Dirty Harry, the other a Seymour Duncan Hot P90. My teles are slide guitars and nothing beats P90's for slide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just picked up a used 2010 MIM Tele and I absolutely love it. I swapped out the stock bridge for a compensated brass saddle/ashtray, changed out the pickups, and upgraded the pots/switches. It sounds and feels fantastic. Truthfully, a/b-ing it with my MIA Strat w/Fralins yielded few major differences aside from some minor aesthetic and craftsmanship details all for less than your budget.
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I might go for the Mexican Tele and just swap some of the parts out.