Hello everyone. I started my college course for getting my degree in Digital Media today. My instructor said everyone in the class must buy headphones, more specifically ones that can be used in audio post. I know ideally you want to use speakers in post, and my professor said that, but he said we need headphones. I got recommended the Sony MDRV6 headphones by a friend with experience. He said they are good headphones for relatively cheap. My budget is about $100-150. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post Production? As in Mastering?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Well then your title is misleading. Mixing = Production; not post production.

Anyway, the general Go to pair on this site is the Audio Technica M50's.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Sony MDR 7506. There are still a few around.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I love my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, they are my go to when I'm listening to music, but I honestly prefer something different when mixing/mastering. Over ear headphones with closed backs (M50) inherently have a more pronounced lower frequency and this can lead some to altering their mixes only to find the songs now lack a bottom end. I usually prefer to use open back headphones since they tend to be a little more neutral. That being said, when I mix I usually bounce between headphones. So I go between my M50s and AKG Q701 headphones. Just be forewarned, the AKGs tend to be really big. Myself and my friend that have AKGs all feel like our heads are just too small when we wear them but as always YMMV.
Last edited by DaisXiled at Aug 25, 2014,
None And I certainly wouldn't dream of mastering on headphones. That being said, each to their own, but I can't add much here as I hate headphones for anything creative... pretty much just use them to check mix translation (particularly for low end).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I also love Audio Technica ath-m50s. Very high quality headphones and very comfortable for my ears even after several hours of working straight.
I warmly recommend.
The Sony headphones mentioned in previous posts are very nice and are, most importantly; relatively flat (not completely but a lot better than most). Just stay away from the headphones that pump up the bass like Bose or Beats etc. They are for people listening to mp3 and iTunes song files and the headphones really have exaggerated highs and a lot of unrealistic lows. These type of headphones are great for the average listener I guess but completely useless for pro monitoring. I have two Bose modals and the pumped up low end makes them impracticle for even monitoring during recording. Fortunately for me I got them both used on Ebay at relatively low cost because the cords were broken on both. I repaired them but still find them useless for recording work.
I've used AKG 240's for years for rough mixes (though using headphones for final mix is well.... a bit silly actually).
Quote by kndavid
I've used AKG 240's for years for rough mixes (though using headphones for final mix is well.... a bit silly actually).

Same with me. When tracking I wear Beyer 770s closed design that isolates better, they're also very good but I think slightly bass heavy.
"Digital Media" post production would not neccessarily be audio at all - might be video (obviously with audio tracks).
I sure hope that anyone calling themselves a mastering engineer isn't using headphones! And hate to think what a 'college class' is teaching kids about mastering this way.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
ATH-M50 is a great baseline standard set for that kind of work.

I personally use Grado headphones, they're amazing reference headphones but they're not for everyone because they're open-air and fragile. That said, they're crystal clear and have an amazing soundstage.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite