So I just removed the trem on my Ibanez RG (Edge 3) for the first time since I got it due to action problems, and realized upon looking at it that the knife edges are virtually gone and barely intact, most likely due to my previous lack of knowledge and care for a Floyd-equipped guitar. Since I need to replace it now, does anyone happen to know if this Floyd will be a direct fit to the existing Edge 3 cavity?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heavy-Duty-Dual-Locking-Floyd-Rose-Trem-BRASSSTEEL_p_518.html

All I want is a cheap and quick replacement, nothing fancy. Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
I don’t know if it will fit, but FWIW, you can buy a new Ibanez Edge III for only $3 more on eBay.
Quote by jpnyc
I don’t know if it will fit, but FWIW, you can buy a new Ibanez Edge III for only $3 more on eBay.

I don't think I'm interested in getting another Edge 3 after the horror stories i've heard about it. I would prefer a cheap alternative (maybe below 120?) and preferably one that is a direct drop in. My knowledge of replacing trems or any hardware at all on a guitar is limited.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
I have no idea if it will fit but what about an edge zero? Its made by Ibanez so it should fit right?
Quote by supersac
you can put in an edge pro as a drop in replacement for an edge 3

im not sure about that one fitting but the edge pro is a muuuch better trem

I have heard good things about the Pro, but since the guitar in question is fairly cheap and not my primary one, the Pro is a bit out of my budget for a replacement.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Quote by Fastmerc
You are basically limited to an Edge Pro or an Original Floyd Rose (not the schaller). Unless you want to do some routing. Even if the GFS trem would fit it is on no better quality than your edge iii.

You can read this thread if you want more info:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/edge3-replacement-tremolo-68062-5.html

As I mentioned, all I need is a cheap replacement so the guitar is functional again. On paper and on the photos, the GFS trem seems a lot better than the Edge 3. I did not actually believe how bad it was until I removed it and saw the wear and tear myself.

GFS claims its made to "Original Floyd Specs" so I'm hoping this means that the dimensions are the same if not similar. Of course its no Edge Pro or Original Floyd, but if its fairly reliable (even for a couple of years) and fits, I'll probably go for it.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I've heard decent things about the GFS one - it's a Gotoh copy and I believe is the one used on Peavey Wolfgangs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I've heard decent things about the GFS one - it's a Gotoh copy and I believe is the one used on Peavey Wolfgangs.

I'm hoping that means its a direct drop-in replacement then. I don't know much about hardware replacement.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
It's OFR sized, more or less. Should fit. I think Ping makes it so it's decent quality.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It's OFR sized, more or less. Should fit. I think Ping makes it so it's decent quality.

Sounds good, i'll probably pull the trigger on this unit then. Thanks a lot for your help.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Hello everyone. I know its been a while but I thought I would add my experience to this thread.

About 2 years ago, I took on a guitar project. An inexpensive Samick (soloist style body) with a Strat style tremolo. The features and the playability of the neck on this guitar are actually quite impressive for such an inexpensive guitar. I'm not sure what these cost new but I paid $100 back in 1995 (used) and have since seen them similarly priced on ebay every now and then. The body has scooped out bout recesses for superb access to the 24 frets and a sculpted heel (where the neck attaches). I've only ever seen these features on higher end guitars or warmoth bodies that you pay extra to have done. When I decided to put a Floyd Rose bridge on it, I didnt want to spend a lot, I just wanted to experiment with installing a floyd rose and practice doing my first fret leveling. I went with the GFS because it looked identical to my Peavey Wolfgang trem and I love that guitar! I hadnt done a whole lot of research at that point on all of the available replacement tremolos available. So, $80 seemed like a decent price for an inexpensive replacement trem. The GFS Super heavy duty! At first glance, It does appear to be a replica of the Peavey Wolfgang trem. I purchased the floyd rose router templates from Stew-Mac and had at it. even recessed it slightly and notched out a small cavity to clear the D-Tuna. (see pics). It was mounting the pivot studs that I ran into an issue. Floyd Rose and most replacements use a 74mm stud spacing. If you mount the supplied 74mm spaced pivot stud assembly (rather than individual studs) exactly centered, this trem will set too far towards the low e string side. The base plate for this trem has a center of 38mm from the high e side knife edge (the round knife edge, this is where you have to make your inititial measurements from on a trem with one rounded knife edge and one flat). Requiring 76mm spacing. Dont get me wrong, you can use 71 - 76mm spacing as the GFS website states but you must set the high e side stud at 38mm from center in order for this trem to be centered on your guitar. Had I taken this measurement first I would have avoided my blunder. And who would think that 2mm would make such a difference! It does, trust me. I just assumed that the supplied 74mm stud assembly would go right in the center of the neck line. Anyway. Once I got everything routed, installed, lined up and generally looking good with the trem, I proceeded to install an Earvana compensated nut, along with a Kahler behind the nut locking clamp, and a GFS VEH pickup. I then did a fret level and attempted fret crowning (could have done better) and installed the red/black guitar skin (see pics), I can honestly say that I am pretty impressed with this trem. It stays in tune and plays really good. Overall, I would say that this trem is a pretty decent replacement or even an upgrade for lower end guitars. I'm not sure of the materials used, but my best guess would be that its not the hardened steel of the original floyds. Its definitely not as bright sounding compared to my Floyd equipped guitars. I also have a Floyd Rose II equipped MIJ strat, an EVH Wolfgang Stealth with an EVH floyd, my Peavey Wolfgang and an Ibanex RG 320QS that I removed the Lo-TRS II and installed a TRS-101 (so I could install a D-tuna). All of these other trems have 74mm (centered spacing) Installing one of these GFS trems on the same studs may move the trem slightly towards the low e side but a quick tweak of the neck should be all it takes to line everything up. It also will appear slightly off center in a recessed rout. Or worse case you may need to remove some wood on the low e side of the recess to make this work. Hope this helps. Thanks and ROCK ON!!!!!! I hope the pics attach!!!
Attachments:
samick gfs1-1.jpg
samick gfs2-2.jpg
samick gfs3-3.jpg