First off all, I'm completely new to push-pull pots and have to start from zero. I couldn't find my answers in the older threads and didn't want to dig them out, so I hope a new one is okay.

My situation:
I'm talking about my Ibanez S570DXQM with 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob, HSH pickup configuration and a 5-way lever. My aim is to get som more tonal variety by installing a push-pull-pot. I do have some soldering experience, even before I swapped the stock INFs for Evos, so that's not the problem.

The current PU-selections are as follows:
1. Bridge
2. Splitted Bridge (inner coil) with middle
3. Middle
4. Splitted Neck (inner coil) with middle
5. Neck

I'm totally happy with this so far, but what I'd like to achieve with the push-pull-pot is something like this:
1. Splitted Bridge (outer coil)
2. Splittet Bridge (outer coil) + Middle
3. Bridge+Neck (all coils) OR splitted Bridge (inner coil) + splitted Neck (inner coil) OR Middle
4. Splittet Neck (outer coil) + Middle
5. Splitted Neck (outer coil)

So far I found this diagram on seymourduncan.com but it doesn't say anywhere what the outcome would be. Also note I have Evos and Dimarzio uses different colour signatures thatn SD, as far as I know.

I was planing on using this pot I found on thomann.com. It has 500k Ohm resistance and I couldn't find one with 250k Ohm. But from what I heard, 500k should be fine for humbuckers. Am I right?

And last but not least, the probably dumbes question: I'd only need ONE pot, right? Because I've seen people using two and even three pots :/

Thanks in advance and please don't kill me for my ignorance
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Aug 26, 2014,
www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_wiring_color_codes/

This has the color codes for what you need. That site also has lots of free wire diagrams if you ever need

I prefer 500k push/pull pots to 250k P/P pots.

and yes you only need 1 of them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 26, 2014,
Okay, this'll help greatly for "translating" the colour codes. Thanks!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Aug 26, 2014,
Just another question: Would I need some extra wiring or will the wires already in suffice?
And as far as I get it: The push-pull-pot would only split the bridge and neck 'buckers and thus enable me to switch between a HSH and SSS configuration, right? From what I've read I'd need a 5-way super switch to actually get another 5 switching options.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Aug 27, 2014,
Bump; question is still open.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Just another question: Would I need some extra wiring or will the wires already in suffice?
And as far as I get it: The push-pull-pot would only split the bridge and neck 'buckers and thus enable me to switch between a HSH and SSS configuration, right? From what I've read I'd need a 5-way super switch to actually get another 5 switching options.

Yes you will need a very minimal amount of wire, but you will need a little bit (less than 1 ft of wire will be plenty)

Yes a super switch will give you so many more options, but do you really need it? I have a PRS with a 5 way rotary (very similar) and I very rarely use 99% of the options.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, theoretically the push-pull-pot should suffice, because what I'm missing most are the bridge and neck singlecoil-sounds. But, I'd also like to have the option to use both humbuckers at once, the neck in parallel and the inner coils of the humbuckers. This is because I'm using by Ibanez S for everything I play - from metal to classic rock, funk, blues, country... While I noticed I'm perfectly happy with what I already got for metal and funk, but I guess I could use at least the additional split-HB-sounds. I like to experiment with puckup positions and like to have a high variety.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee