I'm creating a second thread because I've narrowed down my choice of guitars and hope maybe more people will check this thread.

I'm choosing between ESP E-II M-II and Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe HSS with "modern C"-shaped neck (something like this one: American Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS | Stratocaster® Electric Guitars | Fender® Guitars ).
I can't try ESP before buying, but I like it on paper (although I'll be replacing the EMGs with passive pickups) and I like the way it looks. I can try American Standard before order a Deluxe.

What I want to know is, if anyone has an experience with both and could tell me how their necks compare? How much difference is there in the feel? (I know Stratocaster Deluxe has a compound radius, and Strat Standard doesn't, but at the end of neck they are almost the same and I think the compound radius Deluxe is closer to M-II).
ESP has a more shred orientated neck. the compound radius on the fender won't feel quite the same as a standard fender neck. to me it would depend on what I wanted out of the guitar. keep in mind that the fender neck starts at 9.5" and I'm guessing the ESP is flatter at the bottom of the neck.
^ yeah. it's a good while since I've tried either but the esp will be shreddier-feeling, most likely. little narrower at the nut (maybe) too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never played the esp m-ii with emgs, but I've heard their necks are similar to 60s slim taper. Did own a maple fingerboard ESP m-ii though for awhile, that had the extra thin u neck. It was similar to the ibanez wizard necks, but with a bit more thickness which I much preferred. As far as the deluxe, I own an american deluxe FSR strat with SSS setup and the neck is very comfortable. I prefer the compound radius fretboard especially near the higher frets vs the 12" radius of the M-II. It basically comes down to, do you want 22 or 24 frets imo. Both guitars are great and will do you good.
Now, are we talking about the original ESP MIIs or the newer E-II MIIs? From what I've heard there are some noticeable differences in quality between the two.

Deluxe starts are real quality guitars, but they're totally different guitars. Depends on what you want.
Quote by archenemyfan
Now, are we talking about the original ESP MIIs or the newer E-II MIIs?

Yes, we're talking about current E-II M-IIs
I tried two American Standards and... it's not my thing, too thick for me. I liked the neck on Edwards (by ESP) E-ESN series guitar , and it seems like M-II is supposed to be close to that.

I also tried ESP LTD M-100 (with some letters), and although it's supposed to be "Extra Thin U" judging by the info on the website, to me it didn't feel much thinner than that of the American Standard! (If it did, then very slightly and not enough). Edwards had a considerably thinner neck. And M-II is listed as "Thin U" - which is supposed to be thicker than "Extra Thin U", right it? But I don't believe M-II could be thicker (or even as thick) as American Standard, not a superstrat. So what is wrong in this situation? Is it that ESP LTD just don't follow the neck size standards of ESP? Or is M-II neck that thick?
those are two very different guitars. ESP's necks are usually much flatter and thinner than Fender's.
banned
Now I know. ESP site mislabelled E-II M-II neck shape. It's not "Thin U", it's actually "Extra Thin U".
I made my decision and got that Edwards guitar which has a slimmer neck than Fender and just a slightly thicker than that of M-II.
Quote by andriusd
Now I know. ESP site mislabelled E-II M-II neck shape. It's not "Thin U", it's actually "Extra Thin U".
I made my decision and got that Edwards guitar which has a slimmer neck than Fender and just a slightly thicker than that of M-II.

Thin U actually isn't very thin, pretty thick actually. Almost LP thick.