Hello,

I don't really have any experience with semi-hollow guitars, I've only owned solid bodied ones and played around with hollowbodies at the local shop. The difference between solid and full hollow is obvious, but is the difference between a solid body and a semi-hollow that great? I'm asking because PRS just lately announced their S2 semi-hollow series, and I have major gas for the white Custom 22 model.

I figure that it would be good for clean tones, I'd probably use it for smoother, jazzy tones and more ambient post-rock stuff. I also think that if i'd like to play some Devin-esque atmospheric crunch tones, it could handle that too. But if there's need, could a semi-hollow handle high gain tones? I've heard some people say that there's almost no difference, and some say that the tone gets muddy. So i guess my question is, is there enough difference in the clean tones to justify getting a semi-hollow, but still not enough difference in high-gain tones that I shouldn't get one?

TL;DR - read the last sentence

thanks.
The hollow areas of a semi hollow are mostly cosmetic. They make the guitar a little louder than a solid body when unplugged, but that’s it.
Quote by jpnyc
The hollow areas of a semi hollow are mostly cosmetic. They make the guitar a little louder than a solid body when unplugged, but that’s it.

Okay, I've heard a lot of people say that there is virtually no difference, but decided to check it since some people complained about muddyness, and I like clear and articulate tone personally. The fact that it makes the guitar a bit louder unplugged is a nice quality though, so if the price isn't too high compared to the solid body models, I think I've just found my short-term dream guitar.
Quote by jpnyc

You haven't played much Semi-Hollows......

it's more than 'cosmetics'.....

and I would describe the PRS S2 Semi-Hollow more like a 'heavily chambered solidbody'
Last edited by paruwi at Aug 26, 2014,
Quote by paruwi

it's more than 'cosmetics'.....

and I would describe the PRS S2 Semi-Hollow more like a 'heavily chambered solidbody'

That's the vibe I got from the guitar too, it didn't seem to have much room for the chambers. So I guess there's not much difference when talking about the PRS, and frankly at the moment I don't care much for other semi-hollows. But do you mean that you would say that there is an audible difference when played through an amp? I guess it'd be good to know even if it wouldn't affect me at the moment