Hi,

I recently purchased a vintage american 65 reissue strat, but as of yet I dont have an amp to match its quality

I love the 65's clean tones but im also a massive hendrix, frusciante, jack white, clapton, (to name a few fan) and love that raw distortion that you can get with Marshall amps that simply makes the instrument scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNxbxJxrrSA

I want an amp that can be used at low(ish ) bedroom levels that can also be gigged with. Iv had my bedroom (the room that the amp would be in) reletivly soundproofed aswell, having had the neibouring wall (i live in a conjoined house) fitted with an extra 3 inches of soundproof fiberglass ect, acoustic cork tiles on another wall, a new thick carpet with a chunky soundproof underlay, and the amp would be sitting on a auralex gramma.

I love the aesthetic look of a head and cab compared to a combo but tones more important obviously

I was origionally looking at getting a JCM 800 2203 and a 60 cab but I eventually realised that that would be like trying to keep a tiger locked up in a bathroom

my budget is about 1200 pound sterling and would be happy to buy used depending on the amp itself.

thanks,
Will
Generally amps that work in the bedroom and on stage get their distortion from the preamp. The tone you're looking for is probably a good amount of poweramp distortion.

So just keep that in mind while you're searching - you'll have to find an amp with a preamp gain you like and go with that.

Check out the Egnater Tweaker 40 (and 88)
Marshall Vintage Modern
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by willfdutton
Hi,

I recently purchased a vintage american 65 reissue strat, but as of yet I dont have an amp to match its quality

I love the 65's clean tones but im also a massive hendrix, frusciante, jack white, clapton, (to name a few fan) and love that raw distortion that you can get with Marshall amps that simply makes the instrument scream.
Ceriatone JTM45!
Quote by willfdutton
I want an amp that can be used at low(ish ) bedroom levels that can also be gigged with.

Though apart from the jokes, a JCM800 would do just fine but I don't think it would really get you to hendrix's or frusciante's or jack white's or clapton's tones.

I'm not that familiar with the different fender models they make nowadays really, I still gotta figure the whole naming criteria, though I'd say you'd be good with a fender supersonic.

Or a marshall class 5.
Though you'll need to mic that up at gigs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I also like the esthetic of a cab and head, bu, unless you want to mix and match cabs and heads, the combo is more portable and gets you the exact same tone (let's say most of the time). They are usually cheaper as well.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

I agree. Or maybe you could score a ceriatone Marshall clone 18w.
Last edited by Taz9 at Aug 26, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Ceriatone JTM45!

Though apart from the jokes, a JCM800 would do just fine but I don't think it would really get you to hendrix's or frusciante's or jack white's or clapton's tones.

I'm not that familiar with the different fender models they make nowadays really, I still gotta figure the whole naming criteria, though I'd say you'd be good with a fender supersonic.

Or a marshall class 5.
Though you'll need to mic that up at gigs.

well clapton uses a JCM 800 lead 1959
whislt frusciante uses the silver jubilee 100w which is effectivly just a pretty jcm 800 2203
Quote by willfdutton
well clapton uses a JCM 800 lead 1959
whislt frusciante uses the silver jubilee 100w which is effectivly just a pretty jcm 800 2203

No and no. Clapton's amps have varied wildly through the years, but he never used an 800 era 1959, which aren't terribly common. It was a JTM45 in the Bluesbreaker days, then a JTM45/100, then a 1959, then a little Fender, IIRC, and a bunch of stuff in the 70s/80s then an SLO and now he's back to little Fenders.

And a Jubilee is nothing like a 2203, and I don't recall Frusciante using that one for anything other than crunch sounds, while everything else was Major.

EDIT: Actually, looks like Clapton used an 800 era 1959 on one tour. Not an amp usually associated with him.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 26, 2014,
you could probably get a fender hot rod tweed and a pedal, a marshall bluesbreaker and an attenuator, or an egnator and be pretty set.

attenuators are pretty nice to have, especially for home playing, and can really help in live playing as well
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Deluxe reverb. 20w, power amp distortion, excellent cleans, tons of bark. Gig and bedroom friendly.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by Duv
Great amp, but to get good power amp distortion you're getting quite loud on that thing - not sure if appropriate for bedroom use.

Actually this is true, I tend to rely more on cleans with a pedal for filth through my deluxe. Nothing bad to be said about a Princeton though, easily loud enough mic'd, and just small enough for bedroom use? Love the Marr chat btw.
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by DeviousByNature
*...* power amp distortion *...* bedroom friendly.
Just no.

Also TS might as well get a JTM45 if volume wasn't an issue, which would be a fair bit better for that if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Just no.

Also TS might as well get a JTM45 if volume wasn't an issue, which would be a fair bit better for that if ya ask me.

Weren't quite together in sentence that way were they though? No...

I'm fully aware power amp distortion at 20watts would blow up the family dog in a bedroom scenario. But the dude asked for gig and home... clean at home, dirty in a venue... or the opposite with vitriolic neighbours.
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Consider a more "studio" type rig perhaps?

The way I run it is as follows:

Vox VT40+ programmable combo in the back bedroom (functions as a garage where bikes and other athletic equipment is also stored). This is miked with a Shure SM58 into a digital audio interface (M-Audio, but doesn't matter a lot compared to the guitar, mic and amp). I then route the line signal through my home stereo and into my living room where it can be whisper quiet - I can play it at night with my wife asleep - or LOUD AS F&&K!!!!!!

The sound is the same either way, and if I record in the afternoon when no one is home, LOUD AS F&&K!!!!, and then overdub some leads at 3am with the family asleep you'd never know the difference.

If I play live I capture the distance and angulation of the SM58 and reproduce it on stage, then simply hand the sound guy the back end of my mic cable!

Sure the sound changes a bit in the transition, but that's life.

Personally I don't think I'll ever go back to the "Head - Cabinet" concept as it is just too much space, and I don't see an advantage anyway!

When I record or play death metal I tear the bejeezus outta that pre- and postamp! I torture the damn thing just as you should. I can switch channels and I've got nice, pretty, clean jazz tones with the right amount of reverb.

That's just me. My days of running 135 dB of guitar all the time are over, man! That doesn't mean I can't sound like it's 135 dB, and if I want to push 140, well that's my business!!

Guy at Guitar Center told me I could never do this, too. He said I'd blow up my speakers. I told him I've blown up my share of speakers, and this would not do it. It's line level! You can even route it through another post-amp stage and distort it more if you want.
thanks for all the replies

what would you all make of a lil' night train gold set or the micro terror out of interest ?
The Tiny Terror or Night Train, could be good, the Micro is kind of lame so I skipped it. Funny we got to talking about the 800 1959, one was on my Craigslist the other day
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The Tiny Terror or Night Train, could be good, the Micro is kind of lame so I skipped it. Funny we got to talking about the 800 1959, one was on my Craigslist the other day

All it is, is a 800 with no MV like 1959 but the gain stages of an 800. So a total Def leppard type sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nah, JCM800 1959 is a Super Lead. It's a late metal panel/JMP circuit with the normal/treble inputs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Pretty much what I figured.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by willfdutton
thanks for all the replies

what would you all make of a lil' night train gold set or the micro terror out of interest ?

I'd recommend the 15 watt night train head and cab: http://www.voxamps.com/nt15h-g2
The speaker / cabinet for the little night train is very tinny.
If you're planning on gigging in non-PA situations then maybe the 50 watter and 2x12
As much as it pains me to say it - Pod HD500X and a nice powered wedge (JBL, Mackie, Yamaha, etc). That will cover all your requirements.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification