At that price I'd look for something used. A nice Epi LP maybe. I got a used LTD EC-401 for $350 which is kind of like a Les Paul shape but good for both hard rock and blues. Very good guitar...
^+1 for the Eclipse.

Check out the Epiphone Wildkat. Its an LP size semihollow with p90s and a bigsby. Very cool guitar when it isn't ruined with stupid, cheesy flames (not flamed wood, frickin' flames). I'm gonna buy one eventually.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 26, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
Check out the Epiphone Wildkat. Its an LP size semihollow with p90s and a bigsby. Very cool guitar when it isn't ruined with stupid, cheesy flames (not flamed wood, frickin' flames). I'm gonna buy one eventually.

It's a great guitar. I changed the pickups with Warman Dogsowars @ £19!!! and removed the master volume wiring which greatly improved the sound.
I guess you'd have to define versatile though... when I hear that I think HSS strat-style (but that's just me)... I had a Jackson DK2 with a Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge and two I think stacked humbuckers neck and middle (lI think Seymour Duncans SH1 or something like that) which I think was pretty versatile. You couldn't quite nail a real strat tone with it but it was pretty good... kind of regret selling it frankly, but I got tired of the floating trem...