I'm using a can of Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel lacquer, and after the 10 min wait to apply another coat, in some big spots, there these whiteish bumps like sand that appear.

How do I get that to not happen and what causes that?

I should sand them away before applying another coat right?
Your using acrylic lacquer and it takes a while to dry.

What your talking about is called "orange peel" and is normal. You need to wet sand to get rid of it.

You can boil some water in a pot and put the spray cans in the water for ~2 min and when you take them out the cans will "spit" way less and you will get a better spray pattern
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've seen pics of orangepeel..this isnt it.

I think maybe overspray?

I could gently run my finger over it and it would rub off like sand grains, which must be hardened lacquer right?

After I posted that first time, I used some 2000 grit to get rid of that, and wiped it down with a damp cloth, seems smooth and orangpeeley now.

I think I still need to add more coats to it yet though. Think a day between sprays will be ok?

And should there have been a rattle in the can? Mine had no rattle.
Last edited by xocarek at Aug 27, 2014,
sounds to me like you have your mix of lacquer to thinners wrong ... thin out the lacquer a little more
I always wait a minimum of 30 min between coats when I paint and I have never had issues using duplicolor acrylic lacquer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think the waiting might have been the problem..the can says 10 min between coats.
i was going to wait an hr this time, but if you say 30 was good, ill go with that
Quote by xocarek
i think the waiting might have been the problem..the can says 10 min between coats.
i was going to wait an hr this time, but if you say 30 was good, ill go with that

Yeah no issues, but I spray thin coats so take that into consideration. last guitar I used Duplicolor on, I sprayed 7-8 color coats and 5 clear coats.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
only 5 clear coats?
I'm on about a can and a half already...
Shouldn't it at lest have some shinyness to it?
mine still has spots that seem matted instead of glossy. or can i turn those matted into glossy with sanding?
when your done paining, then wet sand with 800 grit, then 1200 grit and then 2000 grit sand paper.

Then you need to buff the guitar with some decent swirl remover (car wax) and a high speed applicator. Something like this is what I use

put as many coats as you like, I was just giving an example
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So you think sanding will take the matt like away then?
I was thinking maybe it is orange peel, but maybe like a more compact orange peel? Is that even a thing?

I have the sandpaper ready. Is that buffer just like a drill bit add on?
Quote by xocarek
So you think sanding will take the matt like away then?
I was thinking maybe it is orange peel, but maybe like a more compact orange peel? Is that even a thing?

I have the sandpaper ready. Is that buffer just like a drill bit add on?

No wet sanding will make the entire guitar a matte look. When you start buffing the guitar it will get the nice gloss look you want. Remember use swirl remover first then a regular car wax for the final buff. It is a process you want to take your time with

yes it is a drill atatchment
here is a inexpensive one
www.amazon.com/Pro-Buffing-Ball-High-Speed-Polisher/dp/B003VLAFVY/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1409311717&sr=1-12&keywords=drill+polishing+pad

I suggest you watch some youtube videos buy Sully's Guitar Garage he has a great video on what your doing he has a lot of videos you might benefit from also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4tS06BUbg_M
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate