I have a les paul that must not be grounding right. I have it plugged into a Marshall MG50. It makes a real loud buzzing until I touch the metal guitar cord coming from the guitar (which it obviously is then grounded because it goes away). How can I fix this problem? Thanks
verify that your guitar is wired like this:

the ground from the jack should ideally be grounded to the exact same spot as everything else. badly soldered or unsoldered shield ground (from the jack) is usually the reason for ground noise in a guitar. If all is well and you still have the problem, then try switching/fixing your guitar cable. If that doesnt work, then it might be the amp, a case where youd have to take it to a tech.

Since the noise disappears when you touch the cable jack, Id suspect its the cable. If you dont have another cable and have a multimeter lying around, you can test the shield of the cable for continuity easily.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it very much. When my strat or takamine is plugged in with the same cord it is completely silent. Strange! When I touch the metal of my toggle switch or the jack plate its self, the hum goes away also. Ill try what you said, thanks
Bustapr, where would you put the jack ground to? I've heard that it should be grounded to the back of the volume pot, underneath the bridge, another part of the jack, etc. I feel like that is the problem.

I had a guitar recently with a grounding problem. There was a wire from the jack area that was loose that lead under the tailpiece. The issue was solved by sandwiching the loose wire between the body and the metal pickguard.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 2, 2014,
the ground from the jack(the cables shield) will be connected to every ground in the guitar. theres only 2 parts to the jack which are the signal wire and the shield. everyone has their own way of grounding the pickups to the pots or the back of the pots. Unless the guitar is something similar to a tele with its metal bridge plate, then the bridge should be connected to ground. if the buzzing stopped when you put the wire beneath the pickguard, the the pickguard is probably touching the bridge, otherwise that ground wire isnt doing anything.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
That ground wire connects the circuitry with the rest of the metal on guitar, since it goes through to the bridge.

I'm going to try to do some more research on grounding, I still don't understand these concepts fully.