Need some help id'ing this Gibson ES-335. The serial number is not legible on the orange label located through the F hole. I didn't check to see if there was a FON number inside the body, though I do not believe this guitar is old enough to have one. The headstock is busted, pretty severely to boot. The inlays appear to be a little different than the standard mother of pearl, having an almost gray/silver/blue tint to them. The body appears to be in very good shape with no major issues. I was not able to inspect the pickups or electronics.

Well, looks like an old one with smaller f holes and amber speed knobs. Maybe a 1959. Somebody beat on her pretty hard though. Stop tailpiece came and went over the years. A legible serial # or look at the internals would narrow it down some. Maybe this will help:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 27, 2014,
Hmm...that is a tricky one. Based on the look and the inlays (block inlay), it could have been made anytime between 1963 and 1981, so that's a very wide span of years. Are you sure of the ownership history of the guitar? The reason I ask is because when I see an obliterated serial number - particularly on an expensive guitar like a Gibson ES-335 - I immediately think that the guitar might be stolen.

The plastic handle and the red velvet interior strongly suggest that the case was made in the mid-to-late 1970s, but it may not be the original case. It certainly is nowhere near as thrashed as is the guitar.

Short of sticking a small Dental mirror in the body of the guitar, lighting it up with a flashlight, and trying to read the serial number that way, it may be very difficult to accurately date that guitar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If the pickups are PAF or Pat #, that should put it to the early 60's right?
you need to send that guitar to greg platzer at bcr music in lamoyne pa.

he'll make her good as new and probably give you a good idea when it was made.

dude is a savant when it comes to fixing these things.

congrats and good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
you need to send that guitar to greg platzer at bcr music in lamoyne pa.

he'll make her good as new and probably give you a good idea when it was made.

dude is a savant when it comes to fixing these things.

congrats and good luck.

Seconded. BCR Greg does some amazing work on headstock breaks (you'll find him on the MyLesPaul forum a lot). Send him the guitar, pay him whatever he asks (it'll be worth it) and, if you wish, have him bring the rest of the guitar up to speed as well. The serial number should be on that orange tag inside the F hole (I have a couple of mid/late '60's 335s with that same configuration). Unless that's been obliterated as well. If so, it's likely the guitar was stolen at some point, but it's also possible that any statue of limitations has run its course as well.
^ I came in here just to see if someone would say something like that. I'd like to see it restored. It's already a beautiful guitar even in its current state.
Quote by JustRooster
Dating a 335? Have you tried dinner and flowers?

Bah! Beat me to it lol