I was wondering when it comes to effects pedal, which is simpler?Multi effects or just single multiple pedals? If single pedals are simpler, which effect should i get first?Overdrive? I just got an electric guitar and it sounds really plain and i didnt know i needed an effects pedal to give it that twang sound.
Simpler how? Both setups have their strengths and weaknesses.

It's mainly about the amp though followed by the pickups. You don't need effects to get that twang sound if you have the right amp (and pickups). What do you have?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Simpler how? Both setups have their strengths and weaknesses.

It's mainly about the amp though followed by the pickups. You don't need effects to get that twang sound if you have the right amp (and pickups). What do you have?

By simpler, i mean you wont have to go through and mix 20 different effects to get what you want. If i get a single pedal, all i have to do is turn the knobs right?Also i have an acoustic behringer amp and i dont really want to buy a new amp.
You need a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You need a new amp.

So are you saying even if i do get an effects pedal, i wont be able to get that twang sound on my acoustic amp?Right now i am really limited on cash and if possible i rather just use my acoustic amp and get at least one effects pedal for now.
Last edited by Darkn3ss99 at Aug 26, 2014,
Well you could probably get somewhere near it with something like a Line 6 Pod but your money would be better spent on a new amp IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Twang doesn't really come from a pedal. What kinda guitar are you sportin? You need single coils at least.

A pod or some other multifx may work great for you but I'd think it'd be pretty tough to get twang out of anything but a twangy guitar(/pups)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm the kind of the guy who prefer to work the gear I already own to make it sound like I want to, even if it's not ideal. Thing is, you really get around your stuff that way, and we often believe wrongly we need new gear/stuff to acheive the sound we are looking for.

That being said, a new amp woulnt really be a luxury...

Also:

Twang doesn't really come from a pedal. (...) You need single coils at least.

Even if there's a pedal with some sort of twang, it would be garbage.
Last edited by Taz9 at Aug 27, 2014,
Yeah, when twang is the issue, I may have understated the importance of the pickups. What do you have?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what brand/model is the guitar?

and we may come off brash, but i have a feeling that you woule be much happier with a new amp.

NO line6 spiders
NO Marshall MG

these would likely do you well and can be found pretty cheap.
VOX Valvetronix
Peavey vypyr
Fender Mustang
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
New amp. A pedal isnt going to help you.

Its like saying "my Soviet era Skoda keeps breaking down and leaks oil everywhere, i think its on the verge of exploding. I need it to go faster and be more reliable. What tyres should i get for it?"
Back to your original question; which better (actuall I know you said simpler), individual pedals or a multi? With individual pedals you can choose something that gives exactly the sound you are looking for. Pedals from diffent manufacturers give you different sounds, for instance if you are looking for some type of distortion are you looking for an overdrive sound or a distortion, metal or classic rock crunch. Only you know what you are looking for. When you buy a multi effects pedal you get a lot of choices but remember that they all come from one source, so a Boss pedal will give you sounds normally found in Boss pedals, which is different than sounds found in a Zoom pedal, or Digitech, Vox, Fender. They all sound different. My old Ibanez multi effects pedal has great distortions and overdrives and fairly nice chorus but the reverb and delay are not too good, while my Boss ME-25 pedal has nice reverb and delays but the chorus sucks and the distortions are not to my liking. If you are just starting out a multi effects pedal gives you a lot to choose from. At least you can learn about various effects like flangers, compressors, chorus, etc. and see if they are good for your use. I have a box of individual effects pedals that go back 25 years (or more) and I also have multi effects pedals. They all sound different and it's all a matter of opinion. What I think works for me may not work for anyone else..
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by Darkn3ss99
Ive got a epi les paul special ii

That is an awful guitar. It's impossible to get a "twangy" sound from that guitar.

And using that guitar through a Behringer acoustic amp? Another factor that makes it absolutely impossible to get the tone you're looking for.

Get a Squier Affinity Series Telecaster. For the amp, get a Fender Mustang I.
IMHO, it's the best cheap combination that will deliver the tones you're looking for.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah outside of just making do with the gear you have, you aren't really gonna get what you're looking for out of that setup. If you are just starting out, just keep the gear you have and save up money. Practice, practice, practice, then..... practice more. There is some pretty good cheap gear out there these days with some pretty good tube amps running 2-300 bucks that are gig worthy and you can pick up a MIM tele for around 200 if you hunt. What everyone is getting at, don't waste money on a pedal that isn't going to help you. Just save what money you have until you can invest in something worth keeping. Just don't give up and keep practicing and make your current gear sound as good as you can make it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Well said.

Save, save, save. You'll be right. Just keep practicing. I practice scales without even plugging my guitar in and always have. Once you know them, you don't need to hear the instrument to train your fingers, let alone need godly tone.
Make do for now and save your sheckles. Patience really is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Preach on, Brother Cathbard!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not at all suggesting this to ts, just mentioning cause I thought it was amusing but, I was just at a friends house and his roommate just bought a Schecter Damien with Duncan Designed active pups and a line 6 spider (said he didn't like the controls on the vyper). I noticed his Spider had a "twang" setting and thought of this thread so I gave it a go.

I was stunned! Granted it was at a really low volume where a shitty amp can kinda hide, but I was pretty impressed I admit. The tone wasn't all that great but I was getting some pretty twangy tone using active pups. So, apparently it is very possible to get twang without single coils. I assumed (not that I'm all that knowledgeable of guitars) you absolutely needed a "twangy", single coil guitar to even attempt a twangy tone. I didn't think it would be physically possible with active pups. But it is! And I'll bet some other company does it even better.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think there are two types of "twang" sounds. The kind of twang found on records by players like Dick Dale "the King of the Surf Guitar" and the man who is nicknamed "The King of Twang" Duane Eddy. While single coils may get a twang sound much easier, it can be done with humbuckers. Brian Setzer followed right in the footsteps of Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, and Cliff Gallop and he plays Gretsch guitars with TV Jones Humbuckers and I can't think of anybody who gets more real twang than Brian Setzer.
I was stunned! Granted it was at a really low volume where a shitty amp can kinda hide, but I was pretty impressed I admit.

Yes it had to be really low volume I borrowed my friends spider two days ago to make a BAD - Bad amp day thread here on UG. The Twang setting is pure garbage I find.

I'll roll the volume knob back just to see, maybe I'll hear the hidden power of the spider
Quote by lucky1978
Not at all suggesting this to ts, just mentioning cause I thought it was amusing but, I was just at a friends house and his roommate just bought a Schecter Damien with Duncan Designed active pups and a line 6 spider (said he didn't like the controls on the vyper). I noticed his Spider had a "twang" setting and thought of this thread so I gave it a go.

I was stunned! Granted it was at a really low volume where a shitty amp can kinda hide, but I was pretty impressed I admit. The tone wasn't all that great but I was getting some pretty twangy tone using active pups. So, apparently it is very possible to get twang without single coils. I assumed (not that I'm all that knowledgeable of guitars) you absolutely needed a "twangy", single coil guitar to even attempt a twangy tone. I didn't think it would be physically possible with active pups. But it is! And I'll bet some other company does it even better.

now you mention it i noticed that happened with the spider i tried as well. i think i was using a strat, though IIRC (but it made it sound more like a tele).

that being said i agree with cathbard
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just save your cash I pick up pennies to fund my gear lol and I started
with a whole made amp my oldman made me and a 80's epi super strat
of some sort. And just play.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
You need a good fender tube amp with a nice reverb.... And a American fender telecaster...

They cost a lot of cash but it's the only way to get a real twang sound!!!
Quote by danielburgos
You need a good fender tube amp with a nice reverb.... And a American fender telecaster...

'65 Deluxe Reverb... US$ 1,000 new or US$ 600 used.
Quote by danielburgos

Dude, double post quoting yourself is pretty awesome! That's some Joe Rogan level coolness. Big frickin' +1!
Quote by danielburgos

i feel like quoting him again. power to danielburgos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What's the deal with the trolls on this thread?

Quote by gambit1983
Go to a music store and ask them. Also lookup gear on YouTube.

This forum exists precisely to answer this kind of questions. There are plenty of UG users who are far more knowledgeable than any music store employee.

If this is all you have to contribute, please don't post.

Quote by danielburgos
Quote by danielburgos

No, it's not "the only way to get a real twang sound".
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I watched a YouTube video a few weeks ago where someone listed the Top 10 ways to be a "guitar jerk". I found most of it pretty humorous and cringed because I had to admit to being guilty at times of (at least) two of things he listed.
One that seemed to be true in a lot of on line forums whether it is about guitars or other products is that the person who is being a "jerk" thinks that just because they have a particular guitar, amp, effect or other piece of equipment, anything else sucks. Players can also up their "jerk" quotient by insisting that if they paid more for their gear, they can look down on others who didn't. Conversely if they paid a lot less for their chosen gear they can mock those who "wasted" all that money by buying expensive gear.
I admit to having some "guitar jerk" moments from time to time. Maybe even posting this comment is one. I’ll go whip myself with a broken guitar string.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman

This forum exists precisely to answer this kind of questions. There are plenty of UG users who are far more knowledgeable than any music store employee.

If this is all you have to contribute, please don't post.

Not even that, but store employees have a pretty obvious ulterior motive when it comes to recommending anything. I'm not saying I'm necessarily as knowledgeable as them, but at least I'll give you my genuine, honest opinion which is independent- that's not to say it's necessarily right, or that I'm not biased, but at least I'm not selling what I'm recommending, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?