Hi guys. Pretty simple. I plan on putting a trem stopper by floydupgrades.com into my floyd equipped guitar. I just wanna know if doing that will give my guitar the feel of a hardtail.

I've heard that you get better tuning stability and more tone once the bridge gets blocked off. Too be honest. I only wanna be able to dive on this thing.

Another problem I have with fully floating floyds is that it feels more difficult to shred. Alternate picking runs are quite a bit more difficult for me...

Like I'm not able to grip the strings as easily??? Idk, it's hard to describe. I just know that I wanna set my guitar to dive only.

So will it feel more like a hardtail if I do this? Also, will string changes be much easier, even If I wanna change tunings?
Yes, it will give you the feel of a hardtail.

No, it won't give you better tuning stability. The whole point of a Floyd Rose system is that it has excellent tuning stability. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their ass.

Quote by DeathShredder23
Another problem I have with fully floating floyds is that it feels more difficult to shred. Alternate picking runs are quite a bit more difficult for me...

So adjust the action. What's the issue?

Honestly, none of what you're talking about is actually an issue. It's like you don't get half the point of a Floyd Rose.
I've used these devices on two of my guitars. They work great and are super simple to install. They will do everything that you are looking for. Definitely makes string changes easier. Have you seen the string change videos on FU.com? they are great and makes changing strings on a floyd a breeze vice a royal pain in the a$$. If you are looking for a Trem stop these are the ones to get.

Good luck.
Thanks for the sound advice. Just curious, but what about spring tension? Where does that come into the question once the tremolo stopper has been installed?

Does the amount of springs affect the overall tightness of the guitars action, or does it only affect how much force must be exerted when diving with the bar?

I only ask because I plan on replacing my shitty stock springs with the super duty red springs sold by floyd upgrades, and I didn't want my guitars tension to be so ****ing tight that I wouldn't be able to bend strings, ya know?

Can someone clarify this for me? Thank you!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

No, it won't give you better tuning stability. The whole point of a Floyd Rose system is that it has excellent tuning stability. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their ass.

It might improve the tuning stability a little. I mean, if you go really crazy on a Floyd it normally goes out of tune a little bit. So if you block it you're not doing that, but still getting the benefit of the string being locked at both ends.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
It might improve the tuning stability a little. I mean, if you go really crazy on a Floyd it normally goes out of tune a little bit. So if you block it you're not doing that, but still getting the benefit of the string being locked at both ends.

Not on a good Floyd, it wouldn't.

Quote by DeathShredder23
Does the amount of springs affect the overall tightness of the guitars action, or does it only affect how much force must be exerted when diving with the bar?

The springs have to do with balancing string tension. Normally, string tension is taken care of by virtue of the fact that your bridge isn't floating; however, with a Floyd Rose, we obviously have a floating bridge. So, other than possibly freeing up the middle spring slot, you shouldn't have to fiddle with the springs.

Putting in a tremolo stopper shouldn't mess up your action. If it does, then you're probably not using it as intended.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The springs have to do with balancing string tension. Normally, string tension is taken care of by virtue of the fact that your bridge isn't floating; however, with a Floyd Rose, we obviously have a floating bridge. So, other than possibly freeing up the middle spring slot, you shouldn't have to fiddle with the springs.

Putting in a tremolo stopper shouldn't mess up your action. If it does, then you're probably not using it as intended.

Awesome bro. Thank you for your response! So I guess this should be pretty damn simple then... Just pop the middle spring out to make room for the stopper, install the stopper, and then decide whether to take all of the springs out, leave them in, or replace them with the heavy duty spring from floyd upgrades. That's kind of what I wanted to do from the start because they are red in color and the theme of my axe is based off of my favorite color combo. (Red and Black)

What would happen if I took all of the springs out once the trem stopper was installed? Just as you said above, since there would no longer be a dependence on spring tension I should need them right? Or would I still need at least a couple of them to dive with the bar?
Quote by DeathShredder23
Awesome bro. Thank you for your response! So I guess this should be pretty damn simple then... Just pop the middle spring out to make room for the stopper, install the stopper, and then decide whether to take all of the springs out, leave them in, or replace them with the heavy duty spring from floyd upgrades.

I would replace them with the heavy duty ones. Keep in mind, simply by virtue of the heavy duty springs being newer, you may find you need 1 less spring. Maybe not, though. Try it and find out.

What would happen if I took all of the springs out once the trem stopper was installed? Just as you said above, since there would no longer be a dependence on spring tension I should need them right? Or would I still need at least a couple of them to dive with the bar?
Yes, you'd need a couple to dive. Don't just pull all the springs out (without replacing them, that is). Pulling all the springs out WOULD cause issues with your action.
I put wood blocks in my trems. 2 Real Floyds, and Ibanez Edge and 2 Fenders. I used to use the trem-stoppers and the wood blocks are cheaper, and easier to do with thin double stick tape. I keep all the springs in, and tighten them up a bit. Perfect tuning stability every dive and detune. The Tremstoppers didn't work flawlessly with the DTunas on my Floyds. They strings always went out just a little.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

It does a little bit, after extended use. Even on the good ones (unless I suck at setting them up, which is a possibility).

admittedly, it's a bit like saying wearing a motorbike helmet in your car is safer than not wearing one- it's probably overkill. but it's there all the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?