Hi Guys,

I've got a Gibson LP Studio and Fender Custom FMT HH and just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to put an on/off switch into either somehow? I know you can do that trick with turning a pick up's volume down and using the pickup selector to do this, but I need my pickup switch, as well as a 'killswitch'.

I've searched online and I can only find people putting one of those funky buttons Tom Morello has in, which isn't what I'm after.

If anyone's wondering why I don't just get a volume pedal or something I am disabled and cant use legs/feet so would need this to be accessible to my hands.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
Quote by jamie_hough
Hi Guys,

I've got a Gibson LP Studio and Fender Custom FMT HH and just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to put an on/off switch into either somehow? I know you can do that trick with turning a pick up's volume down and using the pickup selector to do this, but I need my pickup switch, as well as a 'killswitch'.

I've searched online and I can only find people putting one of those funky buttons Tom Morello has in, which isn't what I'm after.

If anyone's wondering why I don't just get a volume pedal or something I am disabled and cant use legs/feet so would need this to be accessible to my hands.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Someone I work with made himself a little killswitch in a box that connects to the socket, the benefit of that is you only need one for all your guitars and aren't making any permanent mods.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028409

Pretty sure he could build another one, he might even be prepared to sell the one he's got!

[EDIT] i suspect it used a momentary switch but I don't see why he couldn't build one that latched.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Steven proposition is very nice!

It makes me wonder if you use any other kind of effects? I recently discovered built-in guitar effect units. Like one of these: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/turquoisemoleeater/More%20Guitars/YasukiLPFX-1_zpse0e70f68.jpg

Maybe there's one you could find with a kill switch. They are kind of rare however.

Making yourself a kill switch or having the one Steven can get you is proly best, but I just wanted to point you out those effect units in case. And it'll get you other effects that you can use, wich is nice if you don't use some yet.
Last edited by Taz9 at Aug 27, 2014,
Yeah one of those would probably work much better!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cheers guys you've all really helped - that cable looks like the way to go at least for now. Failing that I'll take them into the local guitar shop and see if he can do anything. If anyone has anymore ideas though please keep 'em coming!
i had about $300 invested in a series of trades fora faded Gibson SG. this is the stoner guitar. i popped an EMG81 in both neck and bridge (i like EMG81's at lower tunings only, otherwise its 85 and 60's).

there is a switch for each pickup. just an on off switch for each pickup. i eliminated all pots and other switches. i just got two switches from radioshak. its in C#std or Drop B.

but the switches are cool and simple.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hi Jamie,

I'm the guy that made the kill switch. I can build you one super cheap if needs be.

We can try and get something much smaller than my original one too if you want. Just get in contact and maybe we can sort something out .
"Man, you can shred as much as you f**kin' want, but if you can't make my ass move, then f**k off!" - Dave Grohl.
some how i missed the "kill" in the switch. to myself.

i haven't owned or installed one in any of my guitars, but back quite a few years ago had a band mate that did, it was cool at first, but then it drove me insane. he played that more then he played the ****ing guitar. and IMO it hurt the bands sound.

not saying they are bad, just some tend to over use them.

that is just my opinion and experience. $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My Shadow Kill pot post slipped by unnoticed? Isn't that exactly what you need?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My Shadow Kill pot post slipped by unnoticed? Isn't that exactly what you need?

I have no idea what it is or what to do with it :S

Looks like the kind of thing I would get a guitar tech guy to do for me, was planning on going to the local guitar store and asking
It's just a pot with a momentary push button switch. It replaces one of your existing pots. Can't you solder?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
on the topic of killswitches... does anyone have a link to a momentary pushbutton that fits in a pot hole (~8mm)? I don't want the pot in there, just a short button.
Quote by Cathbard
It's just a pot with a momentary push button switch. It replaces one of your existing pots. Can't you solder?

My soldering skills are rather poor but I can just about get by as long as I don't mind how pretty it looks. But is a momentary switch one that needs to be held down or can it be 'flicked' on and off like a pick up selector?
Momentary means it has a default position that it springs back to when you remove your finger. Normally Open (often abbreviated as N.O.) means you press and hold the button to make/hold a connection. Normally Closed (N.C.) means you press and hold the button to break a connection.
Yeah, momentary is exactly as the name suggests, it's only on while you hold it down. If you want it latching (ie stays where you put it until you hit it again) then all you need is a normal push/pull pot like you would use for coil tapping.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification