Hey everybody,

I write song a lot, but i think make cover of other artist song is also beneficial.

To set my guitar level, i can pick properly 16 notes at 100 bpm (not terrible).

So i have think to lean some Faceless song like legions of the serpent, the ancient covenant, sons of belial, xenochrist, some necrophagist song (epitath album), periphery song (have a blast, luck as a constant, mile zero, etc...) to improve my technique and also my creativity. What do you think? Any good ideas for song to learn?
Quote by Ludo-Barth

This is an absolutely meaningless piece of data. In every way, this little statistic means nothing.

Quote by Ludo-Barth
So i have think to lean some Faceless song like legions of the serpent, the ancient covenant, sons of belial, xenochrist, some necrophagist song (epitath album), periphery song (have a blast, luck as a constant, mile zero, etc...) to improve my technique and also my creativity. What do you think? Any good ideas for song to learn?

Yes, those all sound like fine choices if you want to improve, but then again so does any song you don't already know.

Learn the music you want to hear yourself play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ludo-Barth
Hey everybody,

I write song a lot, but i think make cover of other artist song is also beneficial.

You want to improve your creativity on guitar?

Learn these Hendrix tunes: Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Bold as Love, Wind Cries Mary etc. It's hard to explain how this will open up your playing, but it will - a lot. You need to step out of your comfort zone if you want to expand. There's no guitarist in history that was more creative than Hendrix - that's his wheelhouse. Learn a few tunes and you'll see why. The rhythm work is what you'll probably get the most out of.
Quote by reverb66
There's no guitarist in history that was more creative than Hendrix

Entirely debatable.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by reverb66
there's no guitarist in history that was more over-rated than Hendrix.

Fixed that for you.

Jokes aside he was a phenomenal guitarist, but there definitely are people (yourself) who over-rate the shit out of him.
Quote by vayne92
Fixed that for you.

Jokes aside he was a phenomenal guitarist, but there definitely are people (yourself) who over-rate the shit out of him.

Find me a guitarist with a more amazing and varied catalogue of original enveloppe-pushing compositions, sound design, and performances - and who managed to do that before the age 30, with a career only spanning three years. he/she ain't out there - I've looked, and I'm still looking...
Quote by reverb66
Find me a guitarist with a more amazing and varied catalogue of original enveloppe-pushing compositions, sound design, and performances - and who managed to do that before the age 30, with a career only spanning three years. he/she ain't out there - I've looked, and I'm still looking...

subjective, subjective, subjective, subjective, subjective and subjective.

I'm not even calling him a bad guitarist. I think he's ****ing amazing. I play Jimi Hendrix over the sound system at work, but I still think he's over-rated.

Every aspect of music is pretty much subjective. Things you may found godly I may certainly not, and vice versa.

Ultimately though this song is about TS finding songs to improve his playing, which can be done with essentially any song really. More than anything the kind of songs he should be playing are the kinds of songs he enjoys playing.
Sure, I for example could learn some Jimi Hendrix and sure it may improve my playing, but it definitely isn't the kind of music I want to be playing. I've been playing heaps of U2 this last week. I have no idea why, but even the Edge with his much more limited catalogue than Jimi Hendrix resonates more with me than Jimi Hendrix does.

I think we could both go on a constant tangent with this Jimi Hendrix thing man. I think it's best we just leave it at music being subjective.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by vayne92
Fixed that for you.

Hendrix might not sound that original or progressive right now because thousands of bands imitaded his playing, his sound and his style. But to think that he created a whole new sound and a whole new style decades ago, I think he earns to be respected a lot