Hey all!

After many years of guitar playing, I've started to play with the idea of getting a stack after ten years of using only combos. Specifically, I'm going to sell my Fender HRD and Peavey Valveking and replace them with (probably) an Orange TH30, an amp which appears to suit all my needs. (Other amp suggestions are also welcome)

But, I have no idea what cab to accompany it with, since I have no experience with stacks. Open back or closed back? How many speakers and what size? I have no idea. I'm looking something that can do a bit of anything. Specifically, it needs to be able to handle 'big' stoner or space rock sounds which my 1x12 combos can't really deal with. So I was thinking at least a 2x12 of some sort I don't want anything massive; this will be sitting in my bedroom most of the time, and in these days of sophisticated in-house PAs, few non-professional guitar players 'need' huge amplifiers.

Or, should I just go for the TH30 combo?

Help.
I'd go with a 212 with V30's. They react nicely to the TH30. Greenbacks are also a good option, in my opinion. I like the V30's more, but the Greenbacks work for a more vintage sound-character.

The combo ain't bad, but won't get much bass-response.
Ive got that cab and i was the same as you re quality. Its actually solidly built and is made from plywood not MDF (if im not mistaken). Closed back too

Its basically made out of the same stuff, has the same dimensions and has the same speakers as the Orange closed back cab. The only difference really is the colour of the tolex and the badge.

The HB one is about £150
The Orange one is about £550
Quote by LivinJoke84
Ive got that cab and i was the same as you re quality. Its actually solidly built and is made from plywood not MDF (if im not mistaken). Closed back too

Its basically made out of the same stuff, has the same dimensions and has the same speakers as the Orange closed back cab. The only difference really is the colour of the tolex and the badge.

The HB one is about £150
The Orange one is about £550

Yeah, that was what was confusing me. I've heard that Orange use English made celestions, but I'm nearly certain that's not true. Even if the components on the Orange are better, are they 3x the money better? I doubt it.
I dont think they even are English Celestions, if that even really matters anyway.

As you say, the price difference does not represent the increase, if any, in quality. If the Orange one was £200 then it might be tempting but not at 366% the price!!
It's really hard to beat that harley benton for the money it goes for. It's little (if any) more than buying two vintage 30s alone at retail prices (and for that reason, not much of a risk even if you hate the cab, you can always salvage the speakers out of it and put them into a better cab in a worst case scenario).

I don't really play stoner though so I'm not sure what type of speakers best suit it. I think it uses a pretty sludgy (?) tone and v30s are pretty tight on the bass...

EDIT: I think only mesa uses UK-made V30s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I'd have a hard time justifying paying so much more for the nearly identical Orange.

I don't mind if they have a reasonably tight bass, I'm not really going to be playing anything super sludgy and extreme. Above all I want something versatile, since I also play a lot of blues/jazz/rock/metal. As long as they work well with a lot of Hawkwindy effects, I don't mind.
Get the HB 2X12. I play some stoner rock and they are fine in my Randall 2*12. The TH30 is a good head to use a fuzz with on the clean if it's distortion is not your thing.
TH30 sounds good with V30 or G12h30's

I actually saw a guy using a TH30 head and a Orange PPC412HP with K-100 and it sounded very nice and really big. I seemed to tame the high-end
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Yeah I'd have a hard time justifying paying so much more for the nearly identical Orange.

I don't mind if they have a reasonably tight bass, I'm not really going to be playing anything super sludgy and extreme. Above all I want something versatile, since I also play a lot of blues/jazz/rock/metal. As long as they work well with a lot of Hawkwindy effects, I don't mind.

aye

i dunno if i'd call vintage 30s versatile or not. they're fitted to virtually everything; they're much like a duncan JB in that respect. personally i think they're better for heavier stuff where you need punch and tightness.

they do combine pretty well with other speakers, though- you could always get the HB cab, take out one of the v30s (and sell it, or just keep it for backup) and put something else in there (g12t75, classic lead, g12h30 creamback (i haven't tried the creamback, just the standard g12h30, but you narrow down your wattage-handling if you use the regular g12h30) or something like that).

EDIT: oh yeah just to clarify, i haven't tried the th30
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm yeah that's definitely something to think about. I guess I need to do some speaker homework.

While I'm here, any suggestions for possible alternative amps? The Orange seems to do everything I'll need it to, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to try before I buy in Belfast.
I like the TH30, but IMO you really need an EQ pedal in the loop to help with tone shaping. The single tone knob just can't do what I want it to (although the tone knob is pretty responsive for being on 1 knob)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Hmmm yeah that's definitely something to think about. I guess I need to do some speaker homework.

While I'm here, any suggestions for possible alternative amps? The Orange seems to do everything I'll need it to, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to try before I buy in Belfast.

last time i was there (which was several years ago, to be fair), 2 mac music in banbridge was an orange dealer. they might be worth a ring (not sure they're aware of the internet, like a lot of businesses here ) to see if they have one in stock.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?