Heya guys !

Been searching the web for some good answers but nothing enough satisfying. I bought a guitar, used, from a guy recently. Its a fender standard strat. Great guitar, plays great, feel great etc etc.

My only problem is: The neck bolted on to the body. The fit is pretty much perfect, not any gaps on the sides etc etc. But I'ts not bolted all the way down onto the body. The part closest to the neck pickup is pretty much bolted all the way down, but the 2 screws closest to the headstock leaves a gap between the neck and the body of the guitar. The gap is big enough for me to insert a creditcard but only a few millimeters in. In other words the neck isnt touching the body in a few areas where its bolted on. eventhough the gap is pretty smal im kinda worried since its a pretty big area of the neck that doesnt touches the body. Hopefully u guys understand what i mean.

I this something i need to correct or is this something normal ?
How is the action? You can loosen the strings and tighten the screws and retune, that will change the action slightly.
I will take pictures and post as soon as i get home from work.

The action is low on the 1-10 frets then pretty high on the remaining..

Will get pictures for u guys asap..

Thanks so faar for your comments !
Is the neck-bolt pate missing? The bolts may be to long for it if the plate isn't buffering everything.

The neck may just also be warped, which would be a bummer.
the plate is in place, but its an american neck-bolt plate, for an american std, but they guy told me that they'r the exact same size.

How do i check is the neck is warped ?
is the action ok? it might have a shim.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here are some pictures. I dont rly know how to determine whetr or not a neck is warped, but i took a picture of the neck aswell, please tell me if u guys need another angle... The action is low on the first 1-10 frets and after that it gets pretty high, or atleast higher and higher until it reaches the last fret.
Attachments:
strat2.jpg
Strat3.jpg
strat4.jpg
Ok, the action shouldn't go from low to really high. It should be more consistent than that. You should notice some change, but not enough that it goes from really low at fret 1 to really high at the last fret.
oooh ya

assuming it's not still under warranty or whatever (if it is, take it back), i'd take the neck off to see what's going on.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oooh ya

assuming it's not still under warranty or whatever (if it is, take it back), i'd take the neck off to see what's going on.

Haha its that bad ? :/
someone didn't hold the neck tight into the pocket when they put the screws in. easy fix with nothing but a screw driver. if you aren't confident in your ability to do it then have the store/shop do it.

1 - loosen the strings so there is no tension on the neck.

2 - remove the 4 screws holding the neck on.

3 - hold the neck in the pocket so it's all snug like it should be.

4 - put screws back in nice and tight but don't over screw where you strip out the wood.

5 - retune it back up and perform a proper set up of the bridge, truss rod etc if needed.

if any of that sounds too hard for you then it probably is. (no offense, i just don't want you messing up your guitar based on my crappy instructions). just take it to a store and show them what's up with it. a tech can set that up for $20-50 depending on your local market's pricing.
Quote by gregs1020
someone didn't hold the neck tight into the pocket when they put the screws in. easy fix with nothing but a screw driver. if you aren't confident in your ability to do it then have the store/shop do it.

1 - loosen the strings so there is no tension on the neck.

2 - remove the 4 screws holding the neck on.

3 - hold the neck in the pocket so it's all snug like it should be.

4 - put screws back in nice and tight but don't over screw where you strip out the wood.

5 - retune it back up and perform a proper set up of the bridge, truss rod etc if needed.

if any of that sounds too hard for you then it probably is. (no offense, i just don't want you messing up your guitar based on my crappy instructions). just take it to a store and show them what's up with it. a tech can set that up for $20-50 depending on your local market's pricing.

Thank u very much for that informative answer. Just got it properly set up at a guitarshop who did it for free. Now there is no gap and the action is perfect.

Thank you all very much for your helpfull comments. This was my first "serious" guitar purchase and it almost ended up rly bad...
Quote by faji
Haha its that bad ? :/

probably not, as greg says. or someone might have put a half-assed shim in or something.

just to see what's going on, i didn't mean to scare you

EDIT: ah you have it sorted, sweet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?