Hi,

I started learning not much long ago. I have an Ibanez GRGR121EX and an Orange Crush Pix 35 LDX. Not top quality instruments but good enough to get me started.

After a while, as you start to learn to play, you plan to buy new guitar and amp (I know I should focus more on practicing and less on dreaming about sexy gears. But let’s be honest, we all are guilty of this :p ). In my country we don’t have good music stores - reasons are irrelevant; there just isn't. You don’t have a lot of options. So, going to stores and trying out different guitars and amps is not an option for me. I will have to buy internationally.

Bearing that in mind how do you buy your next gear? So, for instance, I want to get a good start and a tele and I’m willing to spend a decent amount. Do you buy a high end product right away or do you get something in between – neither cheap nor too expensive – and try to understand the instruments and how to get the best value for your money? So, do you think it would be more logical to get a 1000 USD strat, 1500 USD tele, for instance, or do you try out lower budget strat and tele to understand the instrument first before spending a whole lot of money?

I hope the questions are clear.

Thanks in advance.
Buy what you want and what will inspire you to play it. If you have always wanted a Mia fender you won't be happy until you get it and it will be cheaper in the long run to buy it then buy 3 guitars over a couple months working up to buying it.
My philosophy is this, the instrument you play is irreplaceable if it fits you better than anything else. The amp to me is secondary in a sense that you can always get that later. As far as getting the best value for your money....meh, that's the poor person in you talking. Get the gear YOU want, because if you settle for the "the best value" which is just "second or even third pick because what you can't afford is what you want" You're gonna be extremely unhappy in the end.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by mhanbury2
Buy what you want and what will inspire you to play it. If you have always wanted a Mia fender you won't be happy until you get it and it will be cheaper in the long run to buy it then buy 3 guitars over a couple months working up to buying it.

I agree and that makes sense; just interested to know what others, particularly experienced players and musicians, think.

Thanks.
Quote by RBM01991
My philosophy is this, the instrument you play is irreplaceable if it fits you better than anything else. The amp to me is secondary in a sense that you can always get that later. As far as getting the best value for your money....meh, that's the poor person in you talking. Get the gear YOU want, because if you settle for the "the best value" which is just "second or even third pick because what you can't afford is what you want" You're gonna be extremely unhappy in the end.

I will eventually get what I want even if it is a 5/6 thousand dollar instrument. But my point is should you experiment with cheaper instruments before buying the expensive one? Of course, you wouldn't want to buy a test guitar every time you purchase a new one. But before getting your first top quality guitar you may want to experiment... I'm not sure. Its worth taking into consideration what experience people think. Hence that question.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. Also there is no shame in being materially poor (without assuming you insinuated it).
Quote by saqib09
Do you buy a high end product right away or do you get something in between?

if you aren't the son of the Emir of Qatar you go mid level and get to know the instrument. learn how to "set up" the instruments yourself so they play great. there are plenty of resources for this online available to you.

if you are the son of the Emir of Qatar you buy 10 of each and have Eric Clapton come give you lessons on a strat and Brad Paisley give you lessons on a tele while Slash tries to tune up his Les Paul and Brian Setzer laughs his ass off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
if you aren't the son of the Emir of Qatar you go mid level and get to know the instrument. learn how to "set up" the instruments yourself so they play great. there are plenty of resources for this online available to you.

if you are the son of the Emir of Qatar you buy 10 of each and have Eric Clapton come give you lessons on a strat and Brad Paisley give you lessons on a tele while Slash tries to tune up his Les Paul and Brian Setzer laughs his ass off.

NO, if I were the son of the Emir of Qatar I will buy Fender, Gibson, Suhr and set up human cloning labs so they can make a duplicate of Merle Travis. Lessons from Eric, Jimmy Page would be nice too. Ok, enough silliness...

Of course, lot of it is just using your best judgment and common sense, I agree.

So, you support getting, let's say, a $500 start and trying out different pick ups would be the way the go before you buy the 1.5/2K one?

See, someone before you already said getting the high end/dream gear would be sensible. So, there isn't a consensus about this. But I guess there is much to learn from the experienced people. Hopefully I will from the responses.

Thanks.
Quote by saqib09
Hi,

I started learning not much long ago. I have an Ibanez GRGR121EX and an Orange Crush Pix 35 LDX. Not top quality instruments but good enough to get me started.

After a while, as you start to learn to play, you plan to buy new guitar and amp (I know I should focus more on practicing and less on dreaming about sexy gears. But let’s be honest, we all are guilty of this :p ). In my country we don’t have good music stores - reasons are irrelevant; there just isn't. You don’t have a lot of options. So, going to stores and trying out different guitars and amps is not an option for me. I will have to buy internationally.

Bearing that in mind how do you buy your next gear? So, for instance, I want to get a good start and a tele and I’m willing to spend a decent amount. Do you buy a high end product right away or do you get something in between – neither cheap nor too expensive – and try to understand the instruments and how to get the best value for your money? So, do you think it would be more logical to get a 1000 USD strat, 1500 USD tele, for instance, or do you try out lower budget strat and tele to understand the instrument first before spending a whole lot of money?

I hope the questions are clear.

Thanks in advance.

Well back in the early 1990s I did not know anything other than wanting to get my first electric guitar. Being located in the country side of western Denmark meant I never at that point was close or ever in a music store. I did have one or two inspirations having seen a Stratocaster briefly years earlier and a guitarist I went to school with who had a white Applause Strat that he told me not touch and I respected that.

In any case I found a black Applause Strat which was in my price range and after a bit of time the seller send it to me. Then I found out about TAB books and got 2 Metallica books.

By 1993 I moved to a bigger city which had the local music store for the area and I spend a lot of time there. Being inspired by the music and magazines and what not I would try to find what I was into but somehow the quest was not be accomplished that way.

I quickly found out that trade and money could upgrade the gear so in and out for some time trying to find the tools that would work for me.

As for gear being expensive I did somehow let it control me but my desires where stronger and I just found the way to do it even the $5500 Jackson US RR custom shop I got new in january 1997.

Usually it is whatever I have to do at any given point! It even was back then when I think back. My Jackson was a personal challenge where I tried to compromise and went to burning desire action. This is nuts! I am going to order it and get a job! In that order and it went according to plan.

As for how I plan? I look at what do I need and then go through the process of figuring that out.

Whatever works for me is my conclusion after 20 years of experience. That is how I end up with a home build stratocaster on one end and my highend US Jackson on the other. What is the special gear that would work for you? That is your quest that you have to find out. Once you find it that will be there for years.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Aug 27, 2014,
I did the mid-level before high end and it helped me because I learned that I didn't want the features in a guitar that I thought I wanted.

As an example, I was convinced I had to have a floyd rose, even though I didn't use it a lot, but having one on a cheaper mid-level guitar for a while and realizing I changed tunings a lot more than I realized and how much of a pain and inconvenience the floyd rose was for that, I realized it isn't a feature I really wanted or even needed.

That is the benefit in going mid-level first - especially if you're still learning what you want in an instrument.
Just because a pricetag is high doesn't mean that the guitar will feel nicer to you. My main guitar is an American Standard Strat, but my next two main guitars are a $600 Sterling JP60 and an Ibanez hollowbody that's less than 500 bucks and I absolutely love both of these guitars. A tiny bit of elbow grease and they've turned into extremely comfortable, good sounding guitars. Sure I'd kill to have a Suhr, Blackwater, Blackat, the list goes on and on, but guitars don't have to be expensive to be great players.
Quote by anders.jorgense
Well back in the early 1990s I did not know anything other than wanting to get my first electric guitar. Being located in the country side of western Denmark meant I never at that point was close or ever in a music store. I did have one or two inspirations having seen a Stratocaster briefly years earlier and a guitarist I went to school with who had a white Applause Strat that he told me not touch and I respected that.

In any case I found a black Applause Strat which was in my price range and after a bit of time the seller send it to me. Then I found out about TAB books and got 2 Metallica books.

By 1993 I moved to a bigger city which had the local music store for the area and I spend a lot of time there. Being inspired by the music and magazines and what not I would try to find what I was into but somehow the quest was not be accomplished that way.

I quickly found out that trade and money could upgrade the gear so in and out for some time trying to find the tools that would work for me.

As for gear being expensive I did somehow let it control me but my desires where stronger and I just found the way to do it even the $5500 Jackson US RR custom shop I got new in january 1997.

Usually it is whatever I have to do at any given point! It even was back then when I think back. My Jackson was a personal challenge where I tried to compromise and went to buring desire action. This is nuts! I am going to order it and get a job! In that order and it went according to plan.

As for how I plan? I look at what do I need and then go through the process of figuring that out.

Whatever works for me is my conclusion after 20 years of experience. That is how I end up with a home build stratocaster on one end and my highend US Jackson on the other. What is the special gear that would work for you? That is your quest that you have to find out. Once you find it that will be there for years.

I really appreciate the long response man. Thanks.

You are right, it matters where are and everything else affect what you do. Just trying to learn what other people with more experience have done. Thanks again.
Cheap gear has a purpose. The percentage of people that want to learn how to play an instrument is high, and most act on it and buy an instrument, and give it a try. As you know, since you play, it isn't as easy as it looks. Most people get frustrated and give up. If you are of the few that don't give up, you soon find that your guitar doesn't stay in tune or brand new strings break or whatever, if you started out on a cheap guitar. This is when you upgrade.
my gear was

yamaha pacifca starter package (with the amp) (280$)

then sold it and got a washburn parallaxe 20 (822$)

and next month im getting sg standard (1000 something something $)
take the time to know what tone you are aiming for

and its up to you and your conscience :p

and i feel you here also we dont have many stores( 5 stores ) 3 of them sells electric guitars and every thing is fu**king over priced yesterday i tried a fender SQUIER strat with a 600$ price tag

and i'd rather be the Emir of kuwait xD
please ignore my username
Quote by Soccerguy
Just because a pricetag is high doesn't mean that the guitar will feel nicer to you. My main guitar is an American Standard Strat, but my next two main guitars are a $600 Sterling JP60 and an Ibanez hollowbody that's less than 500 bucks and I absolutely love both of these guitars. A tiny bit of elbow grease and they've turned into extremely comfortable, good sounding guitars. Sure I'd kill to have a Suhr, Blackwater, Blackat, the list goes on and on, but guitars don't have to be expensive to be great players.

"Just because a pricetag is high doesn't mean...." --- Of course, that is true. But the real question is what should be the most sensible strategy to find out what is best for you.

Not that I presume a cheaper guitar must be bad, but I think it is correct to assume that a top quality guitar will most likely cost you a lot of money, generally speaking. I base my strategy on that presumption. I'm not against buying cheaper priced instruments at all. I was blown away by the Delux Player Strat, for example, and it's only 650 USD.
Quote by rickyvanh
Cheap gear has a purpose. The percentage of people that want to learn how to play an instrument is high, and most act on it and buy an instrument, and give it a try. As you know, since you play, it isn't as easy as it looks. Most people get frustrated and give up. If you are of the few that don't give up, you soon find that your guitar doesn't stay in tune or brand new strings break or whatever, if you started out on a cheap guitar. This is when you upgrade.

I did start out with a cheap one. I think I'm not gonna give up But I get your point.
Quote by saqib09
So, do you think it would be more logical to get a 1000 USD strat, 1500 USD tele, for instance, or do you try out lower budget strat and tele to understand the instrument first before spending a whole lot of money?

Thanks in advance.

A basic Fender American Standard Strat or Tele is a safe bet - they are professional grade instruments at the lowest price point and they retain their value.

If you're searching for amps etc. then use you tube as a reference along with verifying the actual gear used by professionals who play similar styles.
Here's another point, if you buy mid grade gear and out grow it, you can sell it and recover some of your money.

I would buy used gear if money is an issue. It's not too hard to find someone like yourself who is progressing and wanting to upgrade. Just check the gear out thoroughly, if it looks abused, pass on it.

Either way, you are going go through gear until you find what you really want. It's normal.
Quote by rickyvanh
Here's another point, if you buy mid grade gear and out grow it, you can sell it and recover some of your money.

I would buy used gear if money is an issue. It's not too hard to find someone like yourself who is progressing and wanting to upgrade. Just check the gear out thoroughly, if it looks abused, pass on it.

Either way, you are going go through gear until you find what you really want. It's normal.

If it looks abused pass on it?

Not true in my case.

Back in the summer of 2000 I was on a 1 week holiday in London UK. Naturally I went for Denmark street as most of the guitar stores are located there.

One day I found myself looking up towards the 1 floor and a window with a lot of what looked to be used guitars. What the hell let's check this one out. So I got to the door and buzzed the bell to get in.

Upstairs I found the used second hand guitar store and I looked around for a little bit. On a wall there was a Stratocaster reminding me of my home build one so I asked if I could try it out.

Yes what amp would you like?

I looked around and so this combo Marshall by the other wall so told the seller that would do. Kind of a relief to find a Marshall at least at that point I felt.

I was so used to be playing lower in stores so I plugged into low which turned to out be so good to me that I asked the price for the amp. Next looking into my wallet and then on to locate an ATM.

I still got that amp and its been used since 1978 where Thin Lizzy was using it backstage.

Its like this. If the thing works looks does not matter at all other than your eyes.

Then we have the story of getting my drum kit but a short version.

I found it online and got it shipped to Denmark from London UK. This kit was used for rental and what not since 1987 in all sorts of setup configurations you could imagine.

It started to arrive in 3 dfferent boxes and I can recall when I opened them up kind of what have I got my self into as it looked very used indeed.

Dirty and old skins. Broken and missing tension rod screws. Missing hardware and wrap the needed to be glued back was the main things.

In any case work with what you got and I must say that I found the love of the kit and still got it. It got cleaned up and polished (quite some time for 9 drums). I learned to tune them up. I got new Tama screws to replace the old. Glued the wrap and found all hardware I wanted.

All the rental marks are still there but it is part of its history which started with a tour accident in Germany 1987 with DIO. After that the kit was used for rental.
Quote by reverb66
A basic Fender American Standard Strat or Tele is a safe bet - they are professional grade instruments at the lowest price point and they retain their value.

If you're searching for amps etc. then use you tube as a reference along with verifying the actual gear used by professionals who play similar styles.

Thanks very much for a precise and logical answer. This is what I thought too.
What I mean by abused is not worn, missing a knob, showing signs of years of wear and tear, etc. I'm referring to abuse such as a guitar being thrown across the room because someone couldn't get the riff for Enter Sandman, or being stored improperly. Someone selling it because they ruined it by misuse. Sometimes you can't see these things right away.
Quote by RBM01991
As far as getting the best value for your money....meh, that's the poor person in you talking. Get the gear YOU want, because if you settle for the "the best value" which is just "second or even third pick because what you can't afford is what you want" You're gonna be extremely unhappy in the end.

Maybe that's the rich person in you talking. Some people have other constraints and can't necessarily go and get whatever they want. Besides, if you're just a casual player, just starting out, not playing in a band, whatever, maybe it makes more sense to do your research first and buy something that is still attractive to you, yet makes sense for you to buy at the stage you're at... to me it makes more sense to buy and try out many different types of guitars, strats, LPs, semi-hollows, without necessarily breaking the bank at first, and then you'll probably start getting a better idea of what guitar you really want and what fits you and the music you want to play. At this point when you're sure and you know what you want and who you are as a musician then to me it does make sense to invest in the guitar of your dreams...

Besides, hunting for good deals and good value guitars is kind of fun...

Whichever way you decide to go, you'll have fun!
Last edited by OliveG at Aug 27, 2014,