helllo,
i think this is the right part to post it if not sorry
im pretty new to guitar so this might sound as a noob quistion
but ive went to the store and let my guitar set up to d tuning
can i tune it to drop c whitout having to adjust anything (exept for my string ofcourse)
will it play as good as it does now ?
thanks in advance joey
Hey Joey

It depends on how big a change your going for, if its drop D -> drop C just go for it and see what happens, and worst you can pull the strings back up to drop D and theres no harm.

Its a lot easier if your bridge is fixed. Changing tunings on a floyd rose or other tremolo bridge usually takes a lot of setup.

The strings will be under less tension. End result is you usually go for thicker strings. Strings under less tension will vibrate in a wider space. May not be an issue tho for a single step down. Depends how your action is set.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
thanks for the responce snapple im currently in open d tuning and i have 10. gauge strings and a fixed bridge so i dont think drop c will be too much of a change really thanks for the response
Last edited by joey.degroote.7 at Aug 27, 2014,
So, I noticed you've said both "d tuning" and "open d tuning", talking about your current tuning. Which is it? Because that will make a difference in just how far you have to go to get to drop-C. Are you currently in D Standard, Open D, or Drop D? Those are three different tunings. D Standard would be the closest to Drop C, out of those three. Just drop the low string one more step and you're there.

That said, if you've got 10 gauge strings and a fixed bridge, it shouldn't be a big issue either way.
Quote by joey.degroote.7
helllo,
i think this is the right part to post it if not sorry
im pretty new to guitar so this might sound as a noob quistion
but ive went to the store and let my guitar set up to d tuning
can i tune it to drop c whitout having to adjust anything (exept for my string ofcourse)
will it play as good as it does now ?
thanks in advance joey

What kind of guitar is it? What kind of bridge does it have? As many other details as possible would be helpful.

Edit:
Please list the tuning by strings. (For example: E standard is EADGBE.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 27, 2014,
my tuning is D-G-C-F-A-D
sorry for the confusion i didnt know that those things were different and my guitar is a epiphone les paul special 2
Quote by joey.degroote.7
my tuning is D-G-C-F-A-D
sorry for the confusion i didnt know that those things were different and my guitar is a epiphone les paul special 2

Ok, so it has a hardtail bridge then. Tuning from D standard (DGCFAD) to Drop C (CGCFAD) won't be an issue. Have fun, man!
I'm not sure if the intonation on the 6th string won't be a bit off in drop C, however. Check with a tuner on higher frets (or just on the 12th fret) if the notes aren't going sharp, if they do it might not sound perfectly good particularly with power chords.