I'm having problems with picking when learning the lead part of the Drawn To Black-riff by Insomnium. I am a beginner so it has passed a week already and I still can't play it properly.

Question 1:
Should you use bar chords in lead metal riffs or avoid them? For example, if I have to move the same finger down the same fret several notes in a row, is this bad? Because I think it's really hard. Should I use a bar chord here instead? Then how do you mute and play bar chords properly in metal?

Question 2:
When I need to pick like the second or the third string below, I think I should move my whole arm to bring the picking hand closer to the strings and to mute the previous strings with the fleshy part of the picking hand right? But my problem is that my underarm gets stuck on the guitar and my hand gets stuck in the strings when trying to move it. How much pressure should you have when resting the underarm on the guitar body and resting the picking hand on the strings to move your picking had up and down smoothly?

Question 3:
Is the Drawn To Black-intro lead riff too hard to learn for a beginner? There is a lot of picking going on.
Quote by Zerpent93
Question 1:
Should you use bar chords in lead metal riffs or avoid them? For example, if I have to move the same finger down the same fret several notes in a row, is this bad? Because I think it's really hard. Should I use a bar chord here instead? Then how do you mute and play bar chords properly in metal?

Ok, so firstly you're using the wrong name (and the wrong spelling of it); a barre chord is a chord, and not generally a lead idea, barre chords are things like this:

e|5
b|5
g|6
d|7
a|7
e|5

I think you're referring to lead ideas where you just have to play the same fret on different strings in sequence. As a general rule you want to practice a technique called "rolling"; you most often see this with reference to sweep picking. Basically you roll your finger over the strings as you need them to sound and take pressure off the ones you want to stay quiet. It's tricky to do and I'm not explaining it very well but now you know the name at least you should be able to find what you want more easily.

Quote by Zerpent93
Question 2:
When I need to pick like the second or the third string below, I think I should move my whole arm to bring the picking hand closer to the strings and to mute the previous strings with the fleshy part of the picking hand right? But my problem is that my underarm gets stuck on the guitar and my hand gets stuck in the strings when trying to move it. How much pressure should you have when resting the underarm on the guitar body and resting the picking hand on the strings to move your picking had up and down smoothly?

Basically... not much. If your arm is sticking then you're using too much pressure by a long way, you don't need to clamp the guitar to your body so just take it easy. You can mute the strings by using very little pressure indeed, and in fact the more pressure you use the more likely you are to create string noise as you move.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oh I see . Sorry for my mistakes. I am just a beginner so I was not sure about this.
I will lookup "rolling" and pay attention to not resting my arm nor my picking hand to hard on the guitar.

Thanks for the help!
Quote by Zerpent93
Oh I see . Sorry for my mistakes. I am just a beginner so I was not sure about this.
I will lookup "rolling" and pay attention to not resting my arm nor my picking hand to hard on the guitar.

Thanks for the help!

No no, resting is fine, just don't press your arm in to the guitar. Your whole body should be as relaxed as possible at all times.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.