So I've asked about pedals before but this is different.
My brother is taking my POD with him to college.
The Orange amp i got for christmas (crush 35ldx) is a step up from my last amp in every way possible. I use the clean a lot which is very good. But I only like its overdrive when my POD is plugged in. I've been trying to play it without it but its just sounds really fuzzy and muddy, and turning down gain or overdrive doesn't really fix it.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for pedals. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. A brighter sound but still very gainy? if that makes any sense. This is the best example i could find of the kind of sound i had with the pod/want now
video
but i am open minded about sounds so... plz and thank you

forgot to add this stuff
budget: preferably in $100 range
genres: see video, that kinda stuff, i also enjoy jamming stuff similar to killswitch, rammstein. but i dont think i really want such a distorted sound.
new/used?: dont care
home/gig: mostly home
closest city: philadelphia pa
pretty much listed gear. guitar is epiphone special 1 with a dimarzio tonezone in the bridge
Last edited by goochlord at Aug 27, 2014,
A Bad Monkey could be a really cheap and easy way out -- especially if you buy used (and an used Bad Monkey shouldn't be very hard to find).

Or you could look for an used POD to replace the one your brother is taking with him to college.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
What is your EQ settings? sounds like you might have lots of bass and high's and are scooping your mids.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
What is your EQ settings? sounds like you might have lots of bass and high's and are scooping your mids.

Just the opposite actually. When the pod was plugged in, my settings were all at 10 on my amp. Don't ask me why, for some reason the settings on the pod wouldn't really shine unless the amp was like that.

Now that I just have the amp i changed it to my pod's settings
bass 4
mid 10
high 7

this sound does not make me happy
start with all the EQ knobs at 12o'clock and add and subtract each one at a time till it sounds acceptable to you. You may not like the amp and that is fine, but give it a try first.

If you want a pedal, look for a used Line 6 POD XT bean (they run $65 used) GC has a used POD XT live for $109 but it was just listed so you'd have to call the store here is the item # 110491324
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok well thank you all. I did find better EQ settings but it just isn't the same. I found a ridiculously cheap bad monkey on craigslist so I'm just gonna see how that works
Quote by goochlord
Ok well thank you all. I did find better EQ settings but it just isn't the same. I found a ridiculously cheap bad monkey on craigslist so I'm just gonna see how that works

When you use it, use the amps gain and use the Bad Monkey as a clean boost (gain at 0, level at max and tone to your taste)

It is not a fix all, but it should help a lot with more saturation and tightening up your tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
When you use it, use the amps gain and use the Bad Monkey as a clean boost (gain at 0, level at max and tone to your taste)

It is not a fix all, but it should help a lot with more saturation and tightening up your tone

His Orange is a solid state, so I'd do the exact opposite -- use the Bad Monkey with the amp completely clean (overdrive off) and add the gain with the Bad Monkey, adjusting it to taste on the pedal. In my experience, it works better than boosting (which in turn works better with tube amps).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Aug 27, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
His Orange is a solid state, so I'd do the exact opposite -- use the Bad Monkey with the amp completely clean (overdrive off) and add the gain with the Bad Monkey, adjusting it to taste on the pedal. In my experience, it works better than boosting (which in turn works better with tube amps).

The BM can do classic rock gain on its own, but nothing more. So if TS wants more gain, a Distortion pedal would be a better fit than an OD

Not all SS amps sound bad when boosted
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah I boost my Crate GX130 (VH140 clone) and it sounds pretty decent. I'd run the gain a bit lower on the amp and boost it with the Bad Monkey, bet it tightens it right up.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
An Orange Crush is no VH140C.

I don't think you'll be happy with anything short of another Pod. A used one like Rob suggested is probably your best bet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
An Orange Crush is no VH140C.

What exactly does this mean.

edit: oh just realized you were referring to the clone thing above. So here is what I take from this: the kind of OD/distortion in the video is greater than what the bad monkey will give me with the amp clean? Because my orange crush wont take kindly to boosting? I mean I'm still gonna try it, I don't mind chuckin $20 at the pedal

Makes sense, my amp was always on clean with the pod in. Pressing OD button while the pods OD was on resulted in static bullshite
Last edited by goochlord at Aug 28, 2014,
The VH140C is one of the best SS amps of all time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification