Hi, anyone with the EVH 5150 III 50 Watt experience some noise when changing the channels with midi or the pedal? I hear some noise when switching the channel. Is this normal? Thanks Ashley
What kind of noise?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Its a clicking noise. Its only when done with a footswitch/midicontroller not when pressing the buttons up front.
Just tried it on mine. It does make a click, but it is so inaudible on mine that I never really noticed. Seems normal to me, unless it is an incredibly loud click on yours.

If it really seems like an issue to you, you can return it or contact Fender/EVH support.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
what happens when you switch channels on the front panel (by hand)?

When I press the small button its ok but when I release it it makes a noise (its more a plop than a click). Is this the same way with yours? Its not a loud plop but you can hear it. And since I am at the moment only in bedroom-modus I don't know how that turns out, when cranking it on stage.
Last edited by ashbury666 at Aug 28, 2014,
There's a barely audible click inside the amp when I switch channels with either method and the speaker does make a tiny bit of noise if the amp isn't on standby.

I think my Peavey 5150 212 also does this when I switch channels. I never thought it to be strange or anything. Just circuitry switching channels.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
...I did a video. You can hear what happens if I change the channels by hand. In this example the amp is only connected to power and the speaker. Everything is turned to "0". No guitar connected. The plop doesn't get louder when you increase the volume. Also this plop has nothing to do with the sound the switches make. There is a more click noise from the switches inside the amp. The plop comes from the speakers. I don't know if this is normal and handable on stage. Is this the noise you also get:
http://youtu.be/VzbVeS1OiYo
Turned my amp on: Mine also makes that noise using the speakers. My experience with amps is limited but this sounds like normal operation to me. If the volume of the noise stays the same even with the channel volume up, then it's nothing to be stressed out over.

Now, if the amp was sitting there making that noise intermittently while you are playing, then that is an issue.

If it still bothers you, you can always replace the amp with another 5150 III. But I bet they are all going to make that noise.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
As far as that video goes, it seems normal to me, I wouldn't worry about it.

About the switches' "clicking noise" you were referring to, can you post a video as well?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
They're referring to a mechanical-sounding click that happens inside the chassis when you switch channels. It's barely perceptible if you switch channels at bedroom volumes. You'll never hear it in rehearsal or any other live environment.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
yes thats true. You can hear those clicking noises coming from the inside of the amp a little bit in the video. But they are no problem I would say. They sound "mechanical". But the other noise - the plop sound - coming from the speakers worried me more. But if you all say this is normal for that amp, I can live with it. I was just worried that somethings broken.
hkaplan@fender.com

Howard Kaplan
EVH Engineering

I believe he is the man that designed the amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1