So anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a new amp in the not-so-distant future. Suffice it to say, a 100-watt, all-tube amp. This would replace a 120-watt solid-state Crate and its accompanying cab.

The thing is, I'm pretty set on pairing this new amp with Eminence Legend 1275 speakers, and the idea I had was to simply replace the 25-watt Celestions in my Crate cab with the 75-watt Legends. I mean, come on; it's not like the enclosure is gonna fall apart. I won't be playing any louder than usual.

So, that's not really the issue... at least I'm pretty sure it's not. My question is: What other problems might I run into? Would I need to replace the wiring with a thicker gauge? What other variables am I not thinking of?
Last edited by SamZee at Aug 27, 2014,
The existing wire should be ok, how its wired will depend on the head and the ohms of the speakers you get. You might be working a little backwards though, its usually best to know the head you want, the sound your after, and then look for the appropriate speaker to help deliver that sound.

As far as the cabinet, it can make a difference depending on the material its made out of etc, but that usually comes into play when the rest of the rig is figured out. I have an old peavey cab that is made out of birch ply and is as solid as any Marshall or Mesa Ive opened up. But most crates were particle board, which is probably fine for moderate use, but long term would give a touring musician problems.
Thanks for the insight, good sir. Yeah, one thing I definitely need to do is refresh myself on Ohm's Law and all that. As far as choosing a head and a cab after, I actually know which one I'm going with, I just didn't want anyone trying to talk me out of it, hah.

The amp I'm looking at has dual outputs and selectable 4, 8, and 16-ohm modes. The Legend 1275s are 8 ohms each... Kind of forgot how those numbers add up... I'd be wiring in series/parallel, no? For a stereo configuration?
Last edited by SamZee at Aug 28, 2014,
There are literally hundreds of wiring diagrams out there to help you with this.

If you have a 4x12, you'll normally be wiring each pair of 8 ohm speakers in series (each pair would then total 16 ohms) and then wiring the two pairs together in parallel to give you an 8 ohm mono cabinet. And that would match up with the 8 ohm tap on your output transformer.

It's probably not worth worrying about a stereo configuration if you have a mono amp, but if you DO ever get a stereo tube amp, you simply separate the two pairs and plug each pair into the output (at 16 ohms) of each side of your stereo amp.

The other way to do this is to wire each pair in parallel (giving you a 4 ohm pair) and then wire the two sides together in series to give you an 8 ohm mono load. In that case, each pair would plug into a stereo amplifier with a 4 ohm load.

And, of course, simply using two outputs from a mono amp will NOT turn it into stereo <G>.
If you have a stereo tube power amp like the Carvin TS-100, it's a different story.