attenuator
6 30%
build an isocab
0 0%
other???
4 20%
Voters: 20.
Page 1 of 2
title says it all. i can play as loud as i want to during the day, but i play most between 1am-1am. this cold be used for several different amps, including my 1974X, JTM45, Sovtek MIG 50 probably another i can't remember ATM.

the real options are:

1. get a new amp (lol)
2. get an attentuator
3. build an isocab
4. other method.

where i am currently living now, i have to somewhat respect my neighbors. i am more in the city jammed a little tighter, i went from land, to gulf to city had another house in the swamps of south florida, and now here. and i have another house listed. i wish i could say "fcuk it i am turning up to 11."

this is for a tele mainly. and i do want another amp. i may be a hoarder.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, you're missing the correct answer - "new home"

The other option is to be that scary mofo that nobody wants to upset.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^good options
Similarly, I've almost always used NMV amps. I just cut loose when everyone is out and then cop low volume when people are around. I think my ears are happy about it. It also makes you really enjoy playing live even more
I sometimes plug headphones into my DD-20 and its not the worst sound
Overdrive pedal. You can get a super nice one for 200 or less and then you can just deal with the sound. Then crank your amp when you can.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Guys, look at the equipment he has in his sig. He's not a dumbass who doesn't know how to use an overdrive pedal, or distinguish between power amp and preamp distortion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Guys, look at the equipment he has in his sig. He's not a dumbass who doesn't know how to use an overdrive pedal, or distinguish between power amp and preamp distortion.

I never judge anyone by their gear. dumbasses can buy good gear with the same credit cards used by smartasses

He already knows *some* of the answers to the question.

Other answers he's missed:

Buy a Fluxtone speaker (only if you insist on using tube amps). It will give you MUCH better quality than any attenuator. It will provide up to a 25 dB drop in volume (like turning your 30W amp into a 1/8thW amp). It will be medium expensive. You can run your tube amp to power tube distortion levels and it will still sound better (and quieter) than any of the attenuator choices

Buy a modeler and some headphones
. I'm using a Pod HD and a Torpedo C.A.B. with a set of AKG 240 cans, though I can also recommend Sony 7506, BeyerDynamic 770's and Sennheiser 280's. If you're stuffy about tube sound (which makes little sense in a low volume situation), a Kemper or Axe-FX works well, but the combination of the Pod HD and the C.A.B. sounds at least as good (to me) as my Axe-FX Ultra. YMMV. But you get to blast your ears into early-onset tinnitus, which isn't going to happen with any of the non-headphone solutions.

Fact is, we've had band practice (instruments) with a set of electronic drums and a bunch of modelers (and a keyboard) into a mixer and out to headphones cranked to concert volume and the baby next door slept like a ...well..., you know. We've also stuffed the singers into a bathroom surrounding a good mike. A few of the big thick packing (moving?) blankets hung around them deadened all the shouting and harmonies. We put in a small rack of headphones for the girlfriends. It made a pretty funny looking "garage band," but when we recorded what hit the mixer, we were pretty surprised at how good it sounded, to the point where we had a pretty quiet stage for a long time.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Overdrive pedal. You can get a super nice one for 200 or less and then you can just deal with the sound. Then crank your amp when you can.

i have a TS, OCD, Timmy, Zendrive, MI Audio Blues Pro, and i think another but that is at my other place.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by dspellman
I never judge anyone by their gear. dumbasses can buy good gear with the same credit cards used by smartasses

He already knows *some* of the answers to the question.

Other answers he's missed:

Buy a Fluxtone speaker (only if you insist on using tube amps). It will give you MUCH better quality than any attenuator. It will provide up to a 25 dB drop in volume (like turning your 30W amp into a 1/8thW amp). It will be medium expensive. You can run your tube amp to power tube distortion levels and it will still sound better (and quieter) than any of the attenuator choices

Buy a modeler and some headphones
. I'm using a Pod HD and a Torpedo C.A.B. with a set of AKG 240 cans, though I can also recommend Sony 7506, BeyerDynamic 770's and Sennheiser 280's. If you're stuffy about tube sound (which makes little sense in a low volume situation), a Kemper or Axe-FX works well, but the combination of the Pod HD and the C.A.B. sounds at least as good (to me) as my Axe-FX Ultra. YMMV. But you get to blast your ears into early-onset tinnitus, which isn't going to happen with any of the non-headphone solutions.

Fact is, we've had band practice (instruments) with a set of electronic drums and a bunch of modelers (and a keyboard) into a mixer and out to headphones cranked to concert volume and the baby next door slept like a ...well..., you know. We've also stuffed the singers into a bathroom surrounding a good mike. A few of the big thick packing (moving?) blankets hung around them deadened all the shouting and harmonies. We put in a small rack of headphones for the girlfriends. It made a pretty funny looking "garage band," but when we recorded what hit the mixer, we were pretty surprised at how good it sounded, to the point where we had a pretty quiet stage for a long time.

i will look into a fluxtone speaker idea. cool idea.

REALLY? a pod and headphone rec while i am already 95% there with some nice amps. that i built with higher end components?

despellman, its borderline insulting at the top. you have to see my posts and at least realize i am not a complete idiot. but i do buy a lot of things.

but i really don't care.

and as far as the house goes, its an investment property while i pick up another short sale lowball and make some money on that. i don't mind it here but it won't be permanent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 7thString
^good options
Similarly, I've almost always used NMV amps. I just cut loose when everyone is out and then cop low volume when people are around. I think my ears are happy about it. It also makes you really enjoy playing live even more
I sometimes plug headphones into my DD-20 and its not the worst sound

thats what i do for those amps. i just have more time at night from 1am-4am when i can really sit and be undisturbed by anyone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard

thank you for your faith in me.

the list on my profile is longer than my sig.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I was gonna say od pedal too just cause that's what I use and figured maybe you're not used to apartment playing. Everything sounds better loud so if you can't be loud anyways, an od pedal isn't all that big of a deal, and it works.

I'm really intrigued by the fluxtone speaker (Holy shit! $1400 for the celestion blue copy! $1400 for any speaker, nevermind. Holy shit!)(excuse me) dspellman mentioned though and I'm sure there are better options if you have the loot but an od pedal does do the job.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 28, 2014,
maybe it will sound decent with the orange dual terror @ 7watts. still damn loud, but i can be a little loud, just not all the way. i love that amp but sometimes i forget about it.

i think its going to be an attenuator for the solution.

i was talking to a few of you in a diferent thread.

what model should i go for? hotplate? or ???
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Buy a Pod HD. Or, given your predilection for expensive toys, and Axe FX. And a nice set of headphones.
Quote by jpnyc
Buy a Pod HD. Or, given your predilection for expensive toys, and Axe FX. And a nice set of headphones.

i am not the digital type, but i do see their uses and abilities.

just looking to heat up the power tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
hmm yeah I'd go headphones over attenuator because you could get a decent amp / cab sim pedal ie tech21 and build a headphone amp for less than a decent attenuator, plus you can crank it up as loud as your ears can handle that way. Other than that, the VOX lil night train (just the head) has a good sounding headphone out, has a master volume and will be similar price to an attenuator. Also good for testing preamp tubes
I definitely understand your situation, I'm quite the nocturnal player too. Headphones just put my mind at ease rather than worrying if the semi low volume is bothering people. YMMV
Install a master volume.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Install a master volume.

i have one in the 18w it has terribly small range.

it would be a sin to throw a MV on a JTM45.

and either way i need to push it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 7thString
hmm yeah I'd go headphones over attenuator because you could get a decent amp / cab sim pedal ie tech21 and build a headphone amp for less than a decent attenuator, plus you can crank it up as loud as your ears can handle that way. Other than that, the VOX lil night train (just the head) has a good sounding headphone out, has a master volume and will be similar price to an attenuator. Also good for testing preamp tubes
I definitely understand your situation, I'm quite the nocturnal player too. Headphones just put my mind at ease rather than worrying if the semi low volume is bothering people. YMMV

not really looking for a night.

i have 40' on each side , but single pained windows and i just don't want to piss anybody off. i don't know them, i won't know them. nobody enters the house other than i. if somebody plays we go in the garage. i insulated the garage door really well in the panels. so it should be qiet.

problem is the window placement that is where the volume would come, other than that its a blocked and poured house.

every window is shut.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The first question that comes to my mind is the following:
couldn't you use your non MV amps during the day and use the others at night?

Also attenuators aren't the best if you want a pure/natural/warm/analog/tube/valve/hot/exciting/vintage tone.

I'd go for a high end digital pre to play at night.
Kemper PA/AXE FX...
Or an 11R or an HD500x.

Also I second what dspellman said to an extent - as a general rule, not referring to anybody here, I can't see any reason why an idiot couldn't spend thousands of dollars in high quality gear.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The first question that comes to my mind is the following:
couldn't you use your non MV amps during the day and use the others at night?

Also attenuators aren't the best if you want a pure/natural/warm/analog/tube/valve/hot/exciting/vintage tone.

I'd go for a high end digital pre to play at night.
Kemper PA/AXE FX...
Or an 11R or an HD500x.

Also I second what dspellman said to an extent - as a general rule, not referring to anybody here, 2. I can't see any reason why an idiot couldn't spend thousands of dollars in high quality gear.

1. yea i could, but there are more things going on and distractions. get a business call quite often during the day and evenings, then the wife is home in the evening, that bedroom is far back though so a bit of noise at night doesn't bother her. and she is used to it.

2. no i agree anybody could max out a credit card. but it was just the fact that i am on here all the time and most people get familiar with other names or avatar pics, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
1. but couldn't you hold it for some time and use the MV amps only at night?
This is what bothers me

Also playing amps at relatively low volumes isn't satisfactory if ya ask me.
Because of speakers and air pressure and things, amps and everything passed through speakers in general tends to sound better at higher volumes if you ask me.

Until you get unwanted distortion of course.

2. again, no offense to anybody, still I can't see why a regular couldn't be an idiot a person with opinions far different from what is generally accepted as common sense.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
attenuator for power amp distortion, but your speaker response is going to be lame at whisper volumes. so i'm just gonna rec an axefx and a pair of decent headphones.

i don't need whisper. i need quiet enough so that i am not heard from my neighbors houses i am on a lot where each side has 40' to the property line, so 80' gap.

i will figure it out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Don't you have a small[-ish] room in your house that you could turn into your practice space/studio, and fit it with proper noise insulation?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Don't you have a small[-ish] room in your house that you could turn into your practice space/studio, and fit it with proper noise insulation?

i will just have to fit in the walk-in-closit, but i like having my gear at one place (at this place its in the great room and the addition in the back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
No offense Derrek but people are coming into your thread to offer suggestions and it just seems like you are attacking everyone

(Edit: Let me rephrase that - 'it just seems like you are not happy when the response is not what you want to hear')

Suggestions like using ODs, Modellers, installing a MV, etc etc are all decent. If you don't want people to bring it up then put that in your OP so people don't waste time. Just my friendly .311 cents.

As far as attenuators, I'm not convinced they will solve your problem. I have read mixed reviews on Hot Plates (resistor based attenuators). The coil based ones like the Weber Mass products seem to be the way to go on a lower budget. That said, I have heard good things about the Rivera Rock Crusher and the Ultimate Attenuator. There is a guy on the splawn proboards that swears by the Ultimate Attenuator.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
2. no i agree anybody could max out a credit card. but it was just the fact that i am on here all the time and most people get familiar with other names or avatar pics, etc.

I have to agree that it came across as kinda insulting... I'm not on here often at all but still have seen enough threads / posts by trashedlostfdup to know that he isn't 'some dumbass with a credit card.' Respect your regulars guize!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

REALLY? a pod and headphone rec while i am already 95% there with some nice amps. that i built with higher end components?

Uh considering your situation, I don't see how thats a bad idea. You can crank your amps during the day and you just need something at night to dink around with.

And what's wrong with having a pod and nice amps? You make it seem like it's sacrilege to even suggest it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wasn't insulting your intelligence. Just trying to give options. In this situation there are no real "winners". Every solution has drawbacks. You just have to decide which one has the least compromises.

Using an od instead of cranking the amp is a great way to get driven sounds without loudness. Does it sound as good? Usually no. But it's a cheap solution, or in your case free since you have a few overdrives.

An attenuator would work, but it may not give you the best cranked amp to lowered volume ratio that you're looking for. It will help, but you may end up unsatisfied. Attenuators are also expensive.

A pod would be cool because it could be super quiet and you could play anywhere any time. Also, they sound good! Not as good as a cranked amp in your face, but still good.

I'm sure there are other options with their own good points and drawbacks. You asked for solutions and we are giving some. I don't think you're necessarily "attacking people" but it does seem like you are getting answers you don't want to hear. If that's the case, what DO you want to hear? Because that may be your answer. This is YOUR gear and YOUR money and YOUR ears. So in the end you need to do what you want to do.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Aug 28, 2014,
This thread

But yea attenuator seems the best option to me. Mostly because you could use it on any amp that you want.
maybe pick up a cheap used Vox AC4TV .... goes down to 1/4 watt , but the sound quality is probably not what your used , might sound better with a cab
The type of amps that modellers don't tend emulate that well are the NMV amps. I would not buy a POD to try and get those tones. It's just not their cup of tea. I love my POD, but it's not a Bluesbreaker or a Champ

An Isocab with a mic is probably the best option for you. I assume you have some nice monitors
Quote by trashedlostfdup
title says it all. i can play as loud as i want to during the day, but i play most between 1am-1am. this cold be used for several different amps, including my 1974X, JTM45, Sovtek MIG 50 probably another i can't remember ATM.

Given that you play for less than a minute each day, crank them as loud as you would like...

More seriously, a highly inefficient speaker setup sounds like your best bet. Use 2 low(er) efficiency speakers in a cabinet facing each other and acoustically phased for cancellation. Varying the gap between will give some control over volume, although I've not run any calculations as to optimum placement etc.

You could dry run this by facing 2 of the same or similar 1x12 cabs together if you've got em.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 28, 2014,
Plexiglass maybe you only need to cut your volume by a few dbs for it to make a huge difference
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
i moved into an apartment last year, right now i tend to use MV amps (particularly the CEC as it sounds pretty good at low volumes), modeling, distortion/OD pedals and small inefficient speaker/amp setups.

recently though i bought a Two Notes Torpedo, which is a load box/cab emulator. this has also been a favorable option.

all of those options above have drawbacks. none of them totally gets the sound i am used to using a cranked amp, though i have been pretty happy with some of the results.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
Given that you play for less than a minute each day, crank them as loud as you would like...

I was thinking 24 hours... I thought 'I do most of my playing between 1 am and 1 am the following day too!'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020

*runs*

although to be honest i've been asked to turn that down on occasion.

what is that?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Arby911

More seriously, a highly inefficient speaker setup sounds like your best bet. Use 2 low(er) efficiency speakers in a cabinet facing each other and acoustically phased for cancellation. Varying the gap between will give some control over volume, although I've not run any calculations as to optimum placement etc.

You could dry run this by facing 2 of the same or similar 1x12 cabs together if you've got em.

i have a pair of the celestion EVH speakers (20watt based on GB, i think they are pretty low efficiency/sensitivity (forgot proper phrase.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have a pair of the celestion EVH speakers (20watt based on GB, i think they are pretty low efficiency/sensitivity (forgot proper phrase.

You could achieve a significant volume reduction by placing them in close proximity (2" or so) facing each other and wiring them out of phase. I suspect it would accomplish exactly what you want it to and if you built them into independent 1x12 cabs, you could use them as normal if you needed to.

Distance and offset will affect the cancellation, so you could tweak them until you found your sweet spot.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2