I'd give if there were boobs involved
14 33%
I can't give and I have a note from my doctor
7 17%
I can think of a funnier poll option
14 33%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
So, following all the ice bucket stuff (Patrick Stewart's was the best btw) I was wondering if anyone here gives to charity and if so, why and to what charity, and if not, why not?

I give a little to two different charities (heart foundation and doctors without borders) every month, but that's basically just because someone asked me if I wanted to give to them, and I thought, well, why not?

There are so many charities out there and I must honestly say that I don't really connect with any of them specifically, and a lot of stuff that's going is horrible, so I can't really prioritise what I think needs my help (read: money) more. And giving five cents to four hundred different charities doesn't seem very useful.
I work in non-profit fundraising (well I've been trying to get a job in it)...sooooo yeah.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Yes i give to charity

... and this thread title is misleading *flips table*
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
patrick stewart is a goof i tell ya didn't even wear a floral suit smarten up kiddo

I'd rather donate time than money to a charity

donating money is incredibly important still, but I just don't feel like it's enough, or it's empty.

Like, I'm out $100, and I don't get to see where it goes and don't get to actually help someone, even though I am. I'd rather genuinely be there, doing something.

which is why I don't really donate to charities
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
The charity I donate the most to is the SPCA.

My family donates to various medical ones every year, and I donate my time to the hospital.
cat
I've been on the committee for the local branch of a charity for around 6 years now. My current term is up in December, but owing to circumstances at home, I really don't have the time to put into it anymore, so I'll not be seeking re-election at the AGM.
I will continue to give small amounts of money and time; should things improve, I'll probably take another turn on the committee, too.
I give monthly to four different charities, been doing it for years. Its not loads i admit but its better than nothing. If everyone could just spare a fiver a month for their favourite charity I think it would make a real difference.

The ice bucket thing has raised plenty of money and awareness (the latter is half the battle in some cases) but I do feel some people are just doing it to get in on a short lived trend. I wonder what the percentage of people chucking water over their heads have also donated
The approach of choosing the most "deserving" or most "efficient" charity didn't feel right for me since I'd be forever second guessing my donations and it'd end up on big names that probably get enough support. To avoid that headache, I go with what bothers me most while trying to avoid donating purely on sentiment.

atm I give regularly to homeless charities for London. have thought of giving some of my time up on the weekends to something like Shelter or St Mungo's but doing would make might schedule a bit too tight right now.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I don't.

1) There aren't really any charities I 'connect' with. Maybe I will once somebody I know gets something life destroying...Like a baby.

2) I'm skint and have £0 at the end of a month. I can't afford to.

3) I'm kind of, desensitized to charity and kind of despise it due to how much every charity shoves it all in my face, like the 50 guys in town center at any given time or the 400 different charities for 3rd world countries that are constantly advertising on TV.
It's gotten to the point where when one of these adverts comes on telling me little Aboga will die of starvation I tend to think "Good, now f*** off" just because of how much that stuff is spammed at me.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I'm broke at most are for-profit anyway. I do want to start doing volunteer work for stuff though.
If I had more money I would probably give it to WWF and greenpeace and other eco terrorists.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I've donated a few times to different charities, including Suicide Prevention Charities (don't remember the specific one) and ALS.

I've also donated my time numerous times to Habitat For Humanity, which is a non-profit that helps build affordable houses for folks.
I pretty regularly give money to Amnesty International and Save The Children, and occasionally to Doctors Without Borders.

Yes, I care. I wouldn't give money if I didn't.
Where's the 'I donate if I feel compelled to do so' option?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by theguitarist
The approach of choosing the most "deserving" or most "efficient" charity didn't feel right for me since I'd be forever second guessing my donations and it'd end up on big names that probably get enough support. To avoid that headache, I go with what bothers me most while trying to avoid donating purely on sentiment.

Yeah, I recognise the second guessing part.

Anyway, it's good to see there's people who give a shit in the pit.

Fun fact: If you replace the word "tragedy" in the song of the same name by the Bee Gees with "charity", the song could be about someone telling a homeless man to go to a homeless shelter.
Every month I give money to Cancer Research UK and the NSPCC. Anybody who knows me will tell you that if somebody tries to stop me in the street I will actually stop and listen so I get caught with a lot of charities for a couple of weeks. I also give money to charity whenever there's a collection or anything. Over the years from what I've worked out I've given almost £4,000 to Cancer Research UK and not much less to the NSPCC.

I never waver from those charities. I don't believe in giving to a million little ones and I don't believe in Help for Heroes or anything that supports people whom the government should already be supporting. Stopping Cancer and helping at risk children are my priorities.

Also worked for a while as a Counsellor for the NSPCC.
My wife and I have done the most for Relay For Life, she's ran a few and done countless thousands of hours of volunteering, but we give to others occasionally.

She's a social worker, so it's sorta part of her job to participate in these things. She really liked interning with troubled/disadvantaged youth and families.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I'd rather donate time than money to a charity

donating money is incredibly important still, but I just don't feel like it's enough, or it's empty.

Like, I'm out $100, and I don't get to see where it goes and don't get to actually help someone, even though I am. I'd rather genuinely be there, doing something.

which is why I don't really donate to charities

This.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Why donate to charity when I can spend the money on myself or friends instead?

'Cause being a selfish douche isn't cool?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Selfish? Sustaining the surplus population is not a good thing.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Not donating money to charity doesn't make you a selfish douche. I'd rather buy friends drinks or food or take a girl out than donate it to some schmuck with cancer spilling out of ever orifice.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Selfish? Sustaining the surplus population is not a good thing.

Oh, Neo. Never change.

Not donating money to charity doesn't make you a selfish douche. I'd rather buy friends drinks or food or take a girl out than donate it to some schmuck with cancer spilling out of ever orifice.

See...it's statements like this that don't support your argument.

I don't actually disagree with you (I was playing devil's advocate earlier), but this is just a bad argument.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Oh, Neo. Never change.

I don't actually disagree with you (I was playing devil's advocate earlier), but this is just a bad argument.
Not a bad argument at all. You haven't refuted it and you apparently don't know what selfish means.
Not a bad argument at all. You haven't refuted it and you apparently don't know what selfish means.

Exactly. It isn't like people actually donate to charity to aid a cause. They simply do it to feel superior to everyone else by feigning compassion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Think about it. Which is more ethical? Helping out a guy with cancer, or spending the money going to movies with your friends (or whatever you do)? If you say the latter, you don't understands ethics well.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Think about it. Which is more ethical? Helping out a guy with cancer, or spending the money going to movies with your friends (or whatever you do)? If you say the latter, you don't understands ethics well.

told you, reduce the surplus population. 1 less person = more space + resources for EVERYONE else. You make 7 billion people happy.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Oh, Neo. Never change.

Fvck off sam, you're gonna ruin charity for everyone.

Quote by Neo Evil11
told you, reduce the surplus population. 1 less person = more space + resources for EVERYONE else. You make 7 billion people happy.

6,999 999 999 billion*

Oh, right the OP.

I donated a sleeping bag to Bosnia during the floods. I'm so righteous it's not even funny.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Neither is more or less ethical than the other.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Exactly. It isn't like people actually donate to charity to aid a cause. They simply do it to feel superior to everyone else by feigning compassion.

Only mostly, occasionally people will lose a loved one and then start genuinely caring about whatever cause was responsible and a few people actually donate anonymously and don't make a point of bringing it up in front of others.
I donate to a few different charities here and there, but I could probably afford to give more with what I'm making right now.

But honestly I'd much rather just quit my job and start working for a nonprofit.

Only mostly, occasionally people will lose a loved one and then start genuinely caring about whatever cause was responsible and a few people actually donate anonymously and don't make a point of bringing it up in front of others.

You're ruining my fun, stop that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Fun is a luxury that can only be afforded to the financially affluent at the exploit of the proletariat and therefore I have a moral and ethical obligation to stamp it out wherever I see it to preserve a harmonious society that is not corrupted by materialism, excess, and the concentration of wealth in the upper strata of society.
Page 1 of 2