Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Last edited by freshtunes at Aug 28, 2014,
Strong piece.

The first stanza sets the mood quite well, it gives me a feeling of loneliness, hopelessness, cold, rainy cities, glaring, buzzing TL and a relentlessly rotating fan. Nice.

The second part picks up the pace. The rhythm intensifies, I could picture our man frantically, deliriously searching. I like the repetition of 'case', very rhythmical again. I like the phonic pairs thoughts/dots, missed/disc.
Not sure what to make of the last two lines, I fear that's a bit too vague for me.

The third part is simply perfect.

Another tasty little almost-rhyme in the fourth, in distance/listen. Then the stretched-out cadence of rewound/sound/bounds/now. "The year rewound" changes my earlier interpretation of a frantic search into one of quiet resignation.

Now, I may be a bit old-fashioned in this respect, but I've never fully understood the urge to cut off sentences in certain ways. For the most part (in your piece) I feel it, but not everywhere. Would you care to explain your motivation? I'm willing to learn.
Also, I myself am usually (also quite old-fashioned) one for a rather strict rhyme-sequence (maybe that's because I write lyrics more often than poetry, and classicalish poetry more often than modern poetry). Same as above, care to elaborate?
That said, I am starting to feel how the two points above add to the general feel of your piece, so I will definitely explore that direction.

Lastly, I'd love to hear what inspired you to write this; I feel there's a lot in there I don't understand.

Edit: I might add, I haven't been on this forum for ages, but after my first 5 random thread-clicks on this sub-forum today I was rather disappointed. This one shows some of the glory I used to know.
Last edited by Philip Xander at Aug 28, 2014,
Simple and fun piece, yet it lacks edge. Please read some language poetry , I believe you will love it and grow with it. This is your path and you should continue onwards to develop your vocabulary and use it to make your wordplay a true swordplay.

A great article focusing on Charles Bernstein but with great examples and truly inspiring ideas, can be found here as well: http://parnassusreview.com/archives/1534

Now it may sound like I didn't like your piece or I am being rude by not critiquing it properly, but I do think it exemplifies your potential and just requires some tightening to be truly masterful.
This is not a pipe