Hey everyone.
I used to own a JCM2000 DSL 100 halfstack. Ended up taking a hiatus from playing live so I figured I'd move it on. I currently have a blackstar ht 40 for my "at home" amp. I'm beginning to REALLY miss the crunch channel on the DSL. The blackstar does okay but the gain range is too small. Don't get me wrong, it does full cleans well and has dirt for ages but there's a happy area in between robbing it of pure dynamic blues crunch. I can't seem to get those tones I used to get from the "crunch" setting on the marshall clean channel.
I think I'm going to have to go back to the DSL, but I see they've changed the range up a bit. The features and the price is right for the 100H head (if I needed such power). It's just a shame that the 5 watt head doesn't have the crunch mode. REALLY annoying actually.
Considering I'd be looking at the better part of 900AUD for the head, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew of a smaller head type amp that could save me a few bucks considering I wouldn't need 50/100 watts... BUT, it has to break up similar to the Marshall. The tone nuances could be different but the gain dialing would be similar. Obviously I'd be trying it out before any purchase but knowing models to look for will save time. So if anyone has tried a smaller type head that has a crunch break up range similar to the classic marshall, please throw a suggestion this way!
EDIT, oops, think it's the 15 watt head, not a 5. Either way, no "crunch" mode on the classic gain channel...
Thanks everyone.
Last edited by chiliwillifreak at Aug 28, 2014,
The new DSL's aren't like the old JCM2000 DSL's. Go used. You want a JCM2000 DSL built after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I certainly hope not. My 2006 DSL had a $450 thermal runaway issue. From what i've seen they're quite similar in design. I have no idea of the feel but the sound seems fairly close from listening to someones...
Quote by Cathbard
The new DSL's aren't like the old JCM2000 DSL's. Go used. You want a JCM2000 DSL built after 2003.

As he's in Australia, I believe there's a guy over there who makes amps out of JD boxes which have the Marshall crunch...
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ Cath is also australian, and I believe what you just described is very close if not 100% Cath
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ you got troll'd smambot.

Quote by Cathbard
The new DSL's aren't like the old JCM2000 DSL's. Go used.

all of this.

i thought the dsl 50 and 100 watt heads were very usable at lower volumes. the older ones, not the new crap they're making. (yes it's crap just pass on it).

also, a Jet City 22 watt combo had a nice mid crunch to it, imo. but if it has to say Marshall on it then go with the older DSL JCM2000.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020

Yep

Jet City is a good shout though, excellent amps for the money & awesome sounding.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you can find a new or used Krank 1980/1980 JR that would work great. The older Krank Chadwick will also do a nice plexi/800 crunch
The older Marshall jcm2000 dsl50 may be worth a look
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
Quote by GaryBillington
Yep

Well I'm a spambot after all, so I suspect I deserved it.

Also if you like yourself the crunch coming from a DSL, I'd get a JCM200 DSL.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
From a fellow owner of a 2000 I would say just look around for a good used one. That's how I found mine. I played the new DSL at GC awhile back and it just doesn't even sound the same...(crap in other words as mentioned above.)
I don't actually have a JD amp ready to go. I have parts for one, but I've been too busy with band related shenanigans to actually make one. They do do a good crunch though, if you crank them and/or boost them.

JCA's have good crunch. Soldano crunch is pretty damn fine crunch. If crunch is the aim, the SLO is king. One of the SLO based JCA's could be worth a try.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The new ones are just so fizzy and lifeless when you play them. In a recording they do alright, but they don't hold true to the old JCMs.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The new ones are just so fizzy and lifeless when you play them. In a recording they do alright, but they don't hold true to the old JCMs.

My exact thought on the new models. Incredibly fizzy even when its cranked.
The JCA50 by Jet City is dirt cheap used. I bought mine for $300 CAD, so you should easily be able to find one in your price range. They are a good head at any price point IMO. Their OD channel is just awesome. It's not exactly like a DSL but it's not completely different either. I find it has more low end growl while taking out some of the harshness that Marshalls can have.

I own a Krank 1980 head. Which (if you can find one) are good heads to look at. They're another variation of the Marshall crunch. More similar, but they use 6l6s so at higher volumes they sound a little different.
^1980's use KT88/6550's the 1980 Jr (which I have) uses 6L6's

But yes a great marshall type amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 28, 2014,