Ive been thinking about going on craiglist for a band. Is this a horrible idea? Are bands better if its your friends you already know? Will my life be awesome?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
Ive been thinking about going on craiglist for a band. Is this a horrible idea? Are bands better if its your friends you already know? Will my life be awesome?

I got into my band by reacting to an add on a facebook group.
They were 2 friends looking for 3 randoms, we got together and jammed and they are great people.

Not so sure about using craigslist for it though.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Usually won't work due to chemistry but if you score some people that you gel with more power to you.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I've gotten into bands via ads before. 2 of them have been 'new' bands that were mostly formed by ads with non of us knowing each other, with one of them turning out to be a long term band that went/is going relatively well.

As for craigslist, I say go for it. Why would it be any better or worse than anywhere else to find a band? The only thing I can see bad from it is maybe you'll get more 'trolls' than some other places, but it's still a place where you can find other musicians.
It's also free to post on craiglist, so what do you lose? On the other hand, what do you lose by not posting? The answer is 'any possibility at all of finding like minded musicians that would have responded'.

I don't see it being much different from posting an ad in your local music store. I've had a few 'trolls' or just flat out horrible 'musicians' respond to posts from ads in music stores before so, why would craigslist be much different?
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
getting into bands with friends carries most of the risks of getting into a relation ship with a friend except probably not the risk of pregnancy from any of them

but if things in the band go poorly, it can sour your friendship big time

and so in a way it is often better to start a band with random people
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I didn't use Craigslist but as far as random people go I only knew 1 out of the other 4 people in my band from like high school and such. The rest of us all kind of met each other and it just so happened we were lucky and we all have roughly the same personality so we get along good. With that in mind CL would probably actually be a good way of meeting good musicians you had no idea existed.
Also let's say you get together with 4 guys all random from and to each other.

You jam and happen to have great chemistry with 2, but bad with one. You can ditch this person more easily, because he is a stranger.

However with friends, sometimes one just doesn't fit musically in your band (ie. forgets parts or write stuff that doesn't really lock with the rest etc.), but you don't want to get rid of him because he's original member, so you say nothing.

With this chances are big your band will disband or lock up after a while.

I'd say getting with strangers is not that bad, if no chemistry you jam once and never again, no big deal. It's the same as jamming with people on a jam night somewhere. You will also get satisfaction from the fact you are actively getting "musical contact" with other's.

In retrospect^ Maybe there are jam sessions at local bars and stuff. I've met a few great musicians whom I still jam with at those, that said I live in Amsterdam, and there are a lot of jam opportunities here.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 28, 2014,

However with friends, sometimes one just doesn't fit musically in your band (ie. forgets parts or write stuff that doesn't really lock with the rest etc.), but you don't want to get rid of him because he's original member, so you say nothing.

QUOTE]

Excellent point. I've seen this quite a few times in bands I've been in and some friend's projects. It can become a huge headache that snowballs quickly.

Edit: ignore my quote fail...todays the first time I've been on here in years
Some of the greatest ever bands derived from simply finding each other in a newspaper ad, the onlt difference now is that that ad is on the interwebz, so why not so for it?

I've done the kijiji thing for several months now. Met a lot of contacts and abnds through it, some abnds i couldnt stand, some were good but fell apart before i could give them another shot. Currently, i'm writing with a abnd i joined a month or so ago and we're going great. They were two guys from antoher band looking to form a new one and I happened to et to their ad on time.

Go for it, see if it's your thing
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
It worked for metallica. It doesn't really matter if you don't know each other before you start playing. As long as your aspirations and personalities align, it doesn't really matter if you've known each other years before, or if you just met.

The problem with starting a band with your friends is that it would be difficult to get rid of a member who is shit at playing, but is a good friend.
DeVillains!
You refer to people you don't know as "randoms"?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
It depends on what kind of band you are forming, what your plans for the future are, and how serious you are intending this to be. Do you just want to form a cute little band with your buddies that you can jam with every week, or are you intending on eventually making money with the band and 'making it'?.

From what I've seen bands that form from a group of friends tend to eventually develop some kind of drama due to petty differences (for example, someone is causing trouble but no one wants to say anything because you're bros), whereas with people who are more or less business partners, people are more likely to settle differences quickly (ie. point out when someone doesn't like a certain part of a song, kick people out, etc).

That being said usually the latter end up becoming your bros anyways if you end up going anywhere, and the band would be more solid.
Quote by Baby Joel

he wants to start a band with random3 and random88
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
A good amount of craigslist bands are like middle-aged dudes in classic rock cover bands who practice once a month and play bar shows here and there

There are younger original bands that are harder to find though but I would prefer starting a band with people I know first or joining a local band I'm familiar with. You never know what you're going to jump into from randoms but it's worth a try. I've jammed with quite a few I met from ads but none I was particularly interested in joining.
I'm currently in the process of starting up a band with half the members joining off craigslist. It's been interesting so far, I'm a rhythm guitarist and my friend is a bassist so I posted an add looking for drums and lead. I managed to get a drummer lined up although we still haven't gotten to practice with him since we won't have a large enough practice space to fit a kit until the start of september. I've gotten quite a few emails about a lead guitarist which was expected. We've have one come and jam with us and while his skills were really great and I loved what he brought to the songs his attitude was kinda shit. So we'll be jamming with at least one more person on lead guitar before deciding.

It is possible to make a band off craigslist, just post an ad. I think a lot of younger non-classic rock people just browse the musicians section and never really post ads. I mean really there's not much to lose by trying.
Quote by Baby Joel

if it's sexual, "randos"
i don't know why i feel so dry
Just over a year ago i joined a band where i only knew one of the guys, but we all hit it off instantly and performed together nearly every week for a short while, but unfortunately everyone drifted apart with their personal lives and we disbanded.

So yeah, it's a good idea if you find the right people.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
My band are randoms. We're having a great time.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.