Page 1 of 2

I have recently began re-reading the entirety of Calvin and Hobbes, in chronological order of publishing date. I read it loads when I was younger, but I haven't read it since I was probably thirteen. After reading it again (I'm still not finished reading it all), I've come to the non-shocking conclusion that Calvin And Hobbes is, in fact, the greatest comic strip of all time.

For those of you that haven't read it, you can read them all here: http://marcel-oehler.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/
Start with the first (number 11 in the first row), and continue reading until you are finished.

I was going to do a massive write-up on why Calvin and Hobbes is the best, but I'm on holiday for a week longer than anticipated, and I left my laptop at home. So all the information I was gathering was lost. I was planning on doing pie charts of the number of comics that belong to a particular theme (school, babysitting, philosophy, art, etc), but as I don't have the information on-hand, I am unable to do so.

However, I can post some comics that are my particular favourites, and that accurately represent the work of the genius Bill Waterson.

My most favourite. Calvin is shown transforming objects, one at a time, into alien objects. He also transforms his parents, who send him to his room as a punishment. Whilst there, he looks out the window and 'kaZAM's it into a foreign planet. This strip represents a disconnect from reality. Calvin is bored of Earth. He doesn't feel he belongs there. His parents are foreign to him. His house is foreign to him. So his imagination must create landscapes and objects that are more suited to his character.

I feel like this almost everyday. This comic hits home hard for me.

One of what I consider to be the funniest strips. Calvin's dad is a prominent character, often representing a caricature of fathers everywhere. He is constantly shown telling Calvin to do 'hard' things (describing them as 'character building). He'll take the family on a camping trip that none of them want to be on. He'll be cycling through a blizzard talking about how great the outdoors are. He'll be telling Calvin false information, such as the Sun setting in Flagstaff, Arizona. In this strip, Calvin masquerades as his father by parting his hair and wearing his dad's glasses. He enters the scene and does a perfect impersonation, which causes his mother to literally be falling on the floor laughing.

The raccoon story is arguably the saddest and most touching Calvin and Hobbes comics, and I would say it is probably the saddest and most touching of any comic. This is so much in this that it's hard to choose specific things to talk about. First, Calvin is a six year old kid, so this is likely one of his first encounters with death (as his family has stated in other comics that they have never owned a pet). It's amazing that, despite having no connection with the raccoon, Calvin still feels very attached to it. This also shows how even parents need the support of imagination, as the second strip shows Calvin's mum talking to Hobbes. There's a very poignant line about grief and losing someone, where Calvin remarks:
I'm crying because out there he's gone, but he's not gone inside me

The strip finishes with Calvin cursing the world, and then showing his deep attachment to Hobbes. It's possible that one of the reasons Calvin has created Hobbes in his imagination is because of this exact story (or one like it). Calvin cannot handle the thought of being abandoned. He can't deal with people leaving. This comic strip went on for ten years, and through each year, Calvin is still six years old, still in the same class, still has the same babysitter, etc. Calvin can't move on. So he created Hobbes, and imaginary friend, so that he'll always have a friend even when everyone around him dies or leaves.

Although these are only three comics from a vast ten-year collection, they show a small part of the depth that Calvin and Hobbes has. There is so much than this. For those of you who haven't read it, please do, because despite being just a comic, it is also very intelligent, witty, and philosophical.

For those of you who have read it, please discuss how much you love it, and share some of your favourite comics. For the sake of people with crappy computers and such, please spoiler large images. Virtually every comic can be found online through a simple Google search, so give us your favourites!

tl;dr Calvin and Hobbes is GOAT and is better than anything ever written ever.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I've come to the non-shocking conclusion that Calvin And Hobbes is, in fact, the greatest comic strip of all time.

Of course it is, silly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
yeah it's very good.

watterson is pretty interesting himself in how he didn't want any real attention on himself and wasn't interested in milking the character for money, he just wanted to make some nice work.

edit: his wiki page is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Watterson

I can't pick out favourites from everything lol, but will just say that there aren't any I didn't like.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Yep, favorite comic when I was a kid (via my dad) and still favorite.
My God, it's full of stars!
I've never understood people who see childhood as an idyllic time

It's better than what most adults have to deal with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's better than what most adults have to deal with.

Nobody wants to hear your stupid argument
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Nobody wants to hear your stupid argument

I know, I was playing devil's advocate because I'm bored.

In reality it depends.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
c&h will always be very important to me. the box collection of every strip is one of my prized possessions
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

This is another one of my favourites. It's just very relatable.

Here's another one that I like
it's all coming back

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

I like this one
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
It was the first comic book I ever received, back in 1992. I was 6 years old at the time.

I have a few of them:

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by chev311e
Very nice op

I was beginning to think that it had gone unnoticed but then this came to cheer me up
it's all coming back

This was the last published Calvin and Hobbes strip

it's all coming back

Yonkers!
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
thought this was going to be about the philosopher
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
GOAT doesn't even do it justice. Watterson > Shakespeare. I dressed up as Stupendous Man for Halloween one time when I was younger. Although I haven't read any in a while either, so thank you for giving me a reason to.
Quote by steve_muse
thought this was going to be about the philosopher

But Bill Waterson is a philosopher
it's all coming back

i think my favorite is still the ****ed up snowman one.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I feel like we have a new C&H thread every year. I quite like the comic, but I get tired when the same nostalgia topics come up repeatedly.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX

i'm having a hard time figure out the tattoos on your wrist. is one supposed to be vanillin? i can't tell if the oxygens are supposed to be double bonded or if they're actually hydoxyl groups or what.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Easily the greatest comic ever written.

I finally own all of the books.

Every.

Single.

One.

It's easily my favorite from both a writing standpoint and an access point. The jokes are accessible to pretty much anyone, and there's a lot to be read into with a lot of the gags and situations.

So good.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 29, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
I feel like we have a new C&H thread every year. I quite like the comic, but I get tired when the same nostalgia topics come up repeatedly.

As far as I know, the only other Calvin & Hobbes specific thread was from 2012, and necrobumps are bad, so yeah. Sorry we're all boring and can't think of original threads after years and years
it's all coming back

Why are the two main characters boys this comic is sexist.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Page 1 of 2