Hi,

I have a guitar with Floyd Rose and the G string recently started going horribly out of tune in a few minutes really easily. Also, I can barely move the fine tuning screw. Is it possible that the two problems are connected?

Any suggestions before I take it to the store?

Thanks in advance
Tami
Yes, that's possible. Do you have a locking nut? If you do, and the string is properly secured at that end, that leaves something at the FR end as the culprit. Is the string installed properly? Maybe something is pinching or jamming causing the fine tuner to malfunction and the string to slip.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/
Quote by stormin1155
Yes, that's possible. Do you have a locking nut? If you do, and the string is properly secured at that end, that leaves something at the FR end as the culprit. Is the string installed properly? Maybe something is pinching or jamming causing the fine tuner to malfunction and the string to slip.

http://www.treeguitarworks.com/

Stop advertising your site. You know the rules and that's twice now.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stormin1155
Do you have a locking nut? If you do, and the string is properly secured at that end, that leaves something at the FR end as the culprit.

I do have a locking nut and it seems to secure the string well.

Quote by stormin1155
Is the string installed properly?

I think it is. How can I make sure?

Quote by stormin1155
Maybe something is pinching or jamming causing the fine tuner to malfunction and the string to slip.

Can I try doing anything about it?
See if it will unscrew the fine tuner all the way out. Could be corrosion on threads thats preventing it from turning.
Concerning the G-string, i had the exact same problem a few weeks ago that made me so mad i stopped playing that guitar. After taking everything apart and systematically checking everything for the problem, I found that an allen screw on the saddle that adjusts the intonation of the string was not tight. This caused the string to slip out of tune everytime i used the whammy. I felt pretty stupid cause I blamed it on the floyd rose special being cheap and complained about it on the forums here. Not properly installing strings will also cause this.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
Could be corrosion on threads thats preventing it from turning.

It seems to be a little bit corroded. Not much but who knows. In that case, should I just buy a new screw?
Guys, I just realized that when it goes out of tune it always gets lower first, but when I tune it and play again, it gets higher. Then lower again, and so on. So, if I'm not mistaken, it can't be that it's slipping as it would get only lower and lower, right? Seems to be something moving in there. Any ideas?

BTW, it goes out of tune really easily. I don't even have to use the whammy.
Last edited by tami626 at Aug 28, 2014,
press down on the part the tuning screw presses, it should spring back up and move freely, might be something blocking it dirt or whatever, check them all for good movement
That particular string is always the bitch, isn't it? Ever broken a g string trying to finger A Minor? Shit sucks.
Quote by the_bi99man
That particular string is always the bitch, isn't it? Ever broken a g string trying to finger A Minor? Shit sucks.

I have never broken a G string but it still sucks.
I had the exact thing happen. Take the screw completely out of the middle of the locking nut and take the little square thing out. Check for a groove cut into it. I swapped the middle clamp with the one over the lower strings, and ordered three new ones from stewmac. Drove me crazy finding the problem. Hope this helps.
Quote by the_bi99man
Ever broken a g string trying to finger A Minor?

Sounds illegal (and immoral) to me.