Page 1 of 2
Favourite albums and albums that disappointed you
Best:
Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden
Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Behemoth - The Satanist

Worst:
Killer Be Killed - s/t - very generic considering some of it's members, I blame Max Cavalera.
Opeth - Pale Communion - I'm a fan of prog rock but this just seems like aimless wankery in search of a song.
probably not a popular choice, but best of 2014 for me is Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by captainsnazz
fka twigs

Are you saying for best or worst? As much as I enjoyed Water Me, I found the album a bit... forgettable. It's just all a bit bland and samey. I think basically they have a sound, and it sounded very fresh and interesting for one track, but hearing it again and again for an entire album is a bit dull.
Same as Jungle. Everyone loved The Heat, but then they released a whole album and people realised that actually that's all they can do.

My best I think would be Adult Jazz. It's just another progression along the Alt-J altindie line, but it's great. Same goes for Glass Animals.

Worst? I've no idea really, if I thought it was shit I wouldn't remember it haha.

EDIT: Oh also Royal Blood is good. I haven't listened to their album as an album much yet, but I can't imagine it being bad.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Aug 28, 2014,
I haven't heard that many albums from 2014, but I'm really enjoying Two by Owls and The Albatross by Foxing.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I think Long Road Home by Charlie Simpson is good.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Best albums I've heard so far (not many since I'm lazy)

The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
Lana del Rey - Ultraviolence

The only other albums I've heard this year were Love Death Immortality by The Glitch Mob, which fell below expectations, and the MSG:UC Soundtrack Volume 4, which is mostly made up of remixed versions of older tracks, so it's not really new music for the most part.
Yeah I think the only 2014 release i've actually listened to is Get Hurt by TGA and I really like it.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
so much good stuff has already come out this year, i cant keep track of it all. at the end of the year ill go back and catalog everything.
banned
For me, the best albums of 2014 so far are:
  • ††† - †††
  • Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together
  • The Black Keys - Turn Blue
  • Blood Red Shoes - Blood Red Shoes
  • Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Piano Nights
  • Bury Tomorrow - Runes
  • Foster The People - Supermodel
  • J Mascis - Tied To A Star
  • Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
  • Mogwai - Rave Tapes
  • More Than A Thousand - Vol.5 Lost At Home
  • Wolfmother - New Crown

I don't have any albums for the "worst of 2014".

The most disappointing one, though, was Opeth's "Pale Communion".
I'm perfectly fine without the brutal riffage and the death metal growls, but please give me the haunting, gorgeous delicacy found on the "Damnation" album. Those moments were the band's strength and most important characteristic for me, what made them my favourite band.
Now they're gone, and I can't see more than old-school prog imitation on these two latest albums. And I really crave new music from the "old Opeth".
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by MadClownDisease
Are you saying for best or worst? As much as I enjoyed Water Me, I found the album a bit... forgettable. It's just all a bit bland and samey. I think basically they have a sound, and it sounded very fresh and interesting for one track, but hearing it again and again for an entire album is a bit dull.

This is probably my aoty so far too but we'll see. Plus I haven't heard too much new music.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 28, 2014,
isn't this just the "AOTY" and "definitely not your AOTY" threads put together?

good:
DIRTY OLD MEN - Blazing
FLOW - 26 a Go Go!!
nano.RIPE - namida no ochiru sokudo
yuzu - shinsekai
bakudan johnny - hajimete no bakudan johnny

bad:
i don't think music is bad, i'm a positive person
i'm not much of a fan of the vocals on yutaka hirasaka's contrast, if that counts for anything
Best:

Warpaint - S/T
Royal Blood - S/T
Beck - Morning Phase
Real Estate - Atlas

There have been others that would make the list like Jungle, The Horrors but its only been a couple of songs I have really liked. Still enjoying shit from the last 2 years like Jagwa Ma, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala etc.
I think the only new album I've listened to this year it Get Hurt by The Gaslight Anthem and I like it, so that.
I think I've only listened to a couple of 2014 albums. I've really enjoyed Explorations by Jordan Rudess. The only other one I've heard is new Opeth record, and I pretty much agree with the following -

Quote by Linkerman

The most disappointing one, though, was Opeth's "Pale Communion".
I'm perfectly fine without the brutal riffage and the death metal growls, but please give me the haunting, gorgeous delicacy found on the "Damnation" album. Those moments were the band's strength and most important characteristic for me, what made them my favourite band.
Now they're gone, and I can't see more than old-school prog imitation on these two latest albums. And I really crave new music from the "old Opeth".
Oh and I thought John Butler Trio's Flesh and Blood came out in late 2013 turns out it was early 2014, so there is also that. It was a decent album however not my favourite of theirs.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I quite enjoyed Pale Communion, but far and away my vote for album of the year is Sharon Van Etten's Are We There.
Last edited by Llamalegs at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
fka twigs

Nah
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
^Numbers is terrible
Quote by ErikLensherr

Chvrches are shit and I hate her accent
Quote by ErikLensherr

No they are so good the synth sounds so lovely

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
They played at the edinbruh New Years street party and I was bored as shit. They have maybe one decent song and the rest are all generic synth wanks
Quote by ErikLensherr

I saw them at Leeds and they were quality. Listening to Royal Blood's album now though to see how it is.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
dood chvrches is 2 mainstrem

Best album either Lost Forever//Lost Together by Architects or Machine Hearts, Machine Minds by Our People Versus Yours. I quite liked Void by Vanna too.

And the new Prodigy album when it comes out will poo on all other albums.

As for worst I don't listen to music I don't like so no answer
'Actions speak louder than words' he said. With words.

NOOT NOOT MOTHERFCUKERS
Quote by TeddytheSpoon
dood chvrches is 2 mainstrem

Best album either Lost Forever//Lost Together by Architects or Machine Hearts, Machine Minds by Our People Versus Yours. I quite liked Void by Vanna too.

And the new Prodigy album when it comes out will poo on all other albums.

As for worst I don't listen to music I don't like so no answer

Everything since The Here and Now has been a terrible attempt to imitate Hollow Crown but it will never be as good as Hollow Crown so it's just boring.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Everything since The Here and Now has been a terrible attempt to imitate Hollow Crown but it will never be as good as Hollow Crown so it's just boring.

What are you chatting. Here and Now was doodoo but Daybreaker and the last one have been quality. They sound like a natural progression from Hollow Crown.

i preferred ruin anyway
'Actions speak louder than words' he said. With words.

NOOT NOOT MOTHERFCUKERS
I liked THAN. It was post-hardcore and sort of generic in the grand scheme of things but it was them breaking out and trying something new, there was an incredible variety of sounds on the album but it still had the feel of Architects. However most people hated it and they did a U-turn for the next two albums after banging on about how THAN was "what they really wanted to do".

Daybreaker was an annoying, preachy version of Hollow Crown which killed the momentum of all songs with either stop-start breakdowns or irrelevent "atmospheric" synth sections, and the new album was more of the same.

Architects used to be one of my favourite bands but the 2 new albums completely killed my passion for the group and they're incredibly stagnant and dull now, at least to me. Nothing has progressed from Hollow Crown. Just rehashes.

Can you honestly say there has been much progression from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBU3U4VMt6U

To this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHTy_dcSKE

Zero progression in sound apart from maybe slightly better production.

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 29, 2014,
**** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything - silver mt zion is best album anyway
Quote by ErikLensherr

Best:
ACxDC - Antichrist Demoncore
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Jizue - Shiori
Punch - They Don't Have to Believe

Bad:
Mastodon - Once more round the sun
Opeth - Pale Communion

most of my "best" new music this year are actually 2013 releases I got late though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2