So I've been playing bass for about 5 or 6 years now, and I feel as though my playing skills have surpassed the quality of my instrument at this point, and I'm ready to buy my first mid to high end level bass. I've come down to two that I can't make up my mind between, the Spector Legend Classic 5-String and the Warwick Corvette Rockbass $$ 5-string.
I know both the instruments are very high quality, and some of my favorite bassists play both of them (Dan Briggs and Arif Mirabdolbaghi for Spector, and Ryan Martinie and Mark Michell for Warwick.) I'm looking for the one that's the most versatile, but with an emphasis on metal playing. I'm also looking for a strong B string, but also crisp highs. Lastly, being able to stand up to lower tunings is a must.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Last edited by Whiplash2067 at Aug 28, 2014,
Keep in mind that your favorite bassists are playing the top tier versions of both brands. The basses you're interested in right now won't be the same quality. I would personally go for the Warwick. If you can, try them both out. I've just never been a fan of the midrange Spector models that I've played.
Since I have played more Spectors, I would go with the Spector Legend Classic. Either of those basses should do what you are looking for, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Black Ox
Keep in mind that your favorite bassists are playing the top tier versions of both brands. The basses you're interested in right now won't be the same quality.

Not necessarily in Dan Briggs´ case, but for the most part this is true. Which is why i would recommend going for a used German Corvette or used Spector Rebop or Euro if that's possible. The next tier up for either brand is miles above their cheapest import lines, and its very possible to get good deals on either.

I know that may not sound like the most decisive advice, but if you can swing it, it really is worth looking at the next level
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you've got heavy hands you'll probably like the B on the Spector a bit more than the Warwick, being slightly longer scale it will feel a bit tighter (depending on your string gauge choice of course). 34" B strings require a little bit of control, you'll get a feel for it.
Personally I have a very light touch and prefer 34" scale fivers, although I did used to own a Spector Euro 5 which I loved to bits, just weighed a tonne.

Still, buy something used, you'll get a better instrument for your money. I wouldn't rate either of those instruments as "very high quality".
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The lower-tier lines (RockBass and Legend) of both brands are over-priced for what they are. The Warwick is probably preferable to the Spector, though still not a great buy. Conversely the used prices for both brands (especially Warwick) are a steal right now. I got a used (mint) German made slim neck Bubinga Corvette for less than the price of a new RockBass Corvette. It's also easily my favourite bass I've ever had in my hands.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan