Hi, I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now and I think its about time I actually so something with being able to play the guitar. I've taken playing/practicing really seriously over the past year and have practiced quite intensely and I've learnt a hell of a lot. I feel that I may be good enough to perform live, not as a lead guitarist but as a rhythm or something (no disrespect to rhythm guitar players), just so I can learn the very basics of playing live. As I can imagine its nothing like playing to yourself, or to a record. Does anyone out there have any advice for me, the do's and dont's? I think my setup is decent enough to perform with listed below. I plan on playing rock/hard rock/indie rock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Gibson Les Paul Standard (Year 2000)
Amp- Marshall JCM2000 50W with a 4X12 Super Lead Speakers
Backup- Fender Strat Mexican & Epiphone G-1275

,Ryan
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by ryan2t69
I plan on playing rock/hard rock/indie rock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Here's my advice. Don't.
First things first, buddy. Ever played with other people? No? Have a couple jam sessions with some other guys or gals. Meet some musicians that you'd consider having a band with. Then worry 'bout your setup (which is pretty decent really, maybe you could use some effects pedal in there too - that's all though)

If there are people with experience on this field in your area, best talk to them about this stuff - they'll give much better knowledge face-to-face than the forums can.
small band? as opposed to a big band like swing jazz or something?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Don't:
-Have any hope of anything
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by theogonia777
small band? as opposed to a big band like swing jazz or something?

Doesn't have to be a small band of course, anything with some kind of groove will do
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Here's my advice. Don't.

I agree with sam, get a macbook and make sick wubs

glad you're finally coming around sam
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
I agree with sam, get a macbook and make sick wubs

glad you're finally coming around sam

*Farts*
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Here's my advice. Don't.

Just cos you're not good enough to make it doesn't mean he won't be.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

If you've never played with other people before, I'd give that a try before showing off your 1337-skillz.

And, if that is not an option you can always commit sudoku on the patio of a retired tortoise-caretaker.
Quote by ryan2t69
Doesn't have to be a small band of course, anything with some kind of groove will do

But why male models?
get someone to JAM ALONG, a guitarist, a bassist or a drummer, then try to pull out some easy covers of well known songs even if you are just 2 people, once you get there it's time to bring more people to the party ( a power trio at least ) then….work your band's asses out on covers or your own material trying to sound AS A WHOLE BAND (record your rehearsals then carefully listen). There you are, that's the way I've done it.
Uruguayian, MD and PhD, 33 years old, playing guitar from my late 17th's, at least 6 bands that I can remember been the guitar player or the bass player, At least 2 bands with local radio hits as guitar player, still learning music and guitar with private teacher and picking up the guitar to jam along with backing tracks or drum beats or whatever every day. Of course I love it.
P.S: when trying to replicate the explained above….GET SOME REALLY REALLY GOOD EAR PROTECTION, your hearing must last 'til the end of your life not least.
Quote by Philip_pepper
But why male models?

Phillip seriously what are you doing
Quote by Philip_pepper
But why male models?

I don't understand the question
On the subject of starting a band:
Just find some people who want to jam with and start from there. Playing together is just a matter of experience and practice. Also remember to communicate. In the end it will be no fun for anybody if no one talks about what they want to do or listens to what someone else wants to do.

On playing live:
Again, just a matter of experience and practice. Just remember to always be nice to the people who own the venue and (if there are any) the sound engineers and such. Your band can play amazingly well, but if the mix sucks, no one will be able to tell. It's important to tell the person mixing what you want, because if he/she doesn't know if you want anything specific, he/she is not going to be able to give you what you want. Though also take what they say very seriously, they will know what sounds right and what doesn't.

And I can't tell you how often I've spoken to pub owners who mentioned they never want to have some band play there again, not because they played bad, but because they were assholes. Also, venue owners have connections. Very important!

And really important, if anyone (venue owners, sound guys, other bands) gives you feedback, don't take it as a bad thing. No one is forcing you to do what they tell you as a lot of stuff is also partly subjective, but definitely consider what they say. If they've been around longer than you have, they will be more experienced, and as I mentioned, experience is everything.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by ultimate-slash
On the subject of starting a band:
Just find some people who want to jam with and start from there. Playing together is just a matter of experience and practice. Also remember to communicate. In the end it will be no fun for anybody if no one talks about what they want to do or listens to what someone else wants to do.

Absolutely true.

Also, remember that everyone has slightly different tastes, there will be music that you will want to play that others may not be too keen on and there will be music that others will want to play that you are not too keen on.
Essentially, in a band situation, the price you pay to be able to play the music you want to play is having to play music that you don't particularly want to play.