Hey guys, first time poster. I need some help with an old guitar I got my hands on. I think it has a grounding issue, but I'm not sure what to do. If the guitar is plugged in to an amp, the guitar still picks up the strings, but unless I'm touching something metal (most notably the end of the cable inserted in the jack) there is a white noise type of sound, almost like a live cable is disconnected. The grounding wire (at least, what I think is the grounding wire) is actually sandwiched between the tailpiece and the body. The wiring setup is just a jack, tone and volume pots, and a single coil pup.

Any advice on what the issue is/how to fix it? I tried using some contact cleaner but that didn't do very much. The guitar brand is "Kent". Also, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Thanks, and hope to see you on the forums soon c:
Well before I do any soldering, I did find that part of the grounding wire wasn't attached to anything. I think it was originally under the pick guard, which is metal. Now that the tailpiece and the pick guard wires are normal, it sounds a lot better, but there is still some buzzing unless I touch a metal piece on the guitar.

Your wiring thread said this is normal, but I've never known grounding issues to be normal and ignored.

Update: After a bit of fiddling, I have nearly zero buzz, even when not touching metal. My pedals seem to cancel it out.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 30, 2014,