So i really want a 7 string. My budget is 1000 or under, and I play prog metal. I was first pretty much set on getting the RGIX27FEQM (Ibanez rg iron label). I love the finish, and that it comes with EMGs. The shop near me has them in stock, so I was going to try one out and compare to the S series (lighter weight and mahogony) before making a decision.

However, just stumbled upon the ESP LTD H-1007. Basically all the same specs plus its mahogony and has a through neck. Also love the finish.

The Schecter KM 7 is cool too.

Only problem is my shop doesnt have the schecters or ESPs in stock, so I cant try them out in person. Any opinions/suggestions on where to go with this?
Trying an Iron Label out in a shop may not be of much benefit. It won't be setup and it will make or break that guitar.

I'd go KM 7. You can always ship it back if you order online.

The shop will also order one for you. They want your business.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thanks for the suggestion. Trying it out int he shop is more for the feel of the guitar and neck rather than the sound, though. I'm really liking the LTD, but I'm more concerned about the fatness of the neck compared to the Ibanez. It's already a jump from 6 to 7 strings, so the neck comfort is a concern for me
The width of the fretboard increases, but it doesn't necessarily mean the actual neck will be any thicker. It will vary from brand to brand.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ibanez thin, LTD medium, Schecter thick (this is going on previous 6 string necks)

My RGIR27FE is thinner than my LTD MH400NT, (obvs one is a 6 and the other a 7) Its pretty easy to jump from the 6 to the 7 and back again though.

Tbh i cant feel much difference in thickness between my ibby and LTD.

Out the three id say ibby or LTD. (never got on with schecters, i know they both come from the same factory though)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals

RG: 19 - 21mm

KM: 19 - 20mm

The actual shape of the neck will vary as well.

Also, I'm gonna throw this in here. Maybe you're interested in it. Maybe not.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9444-sct-607b
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames

Next guitar on my list is that LTD you linked Lemur. Great to play.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Definitely my next 7.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

RG: 19 - 21mm

KM: 19 - 20mm

The actual shape of the neck will vary as well.

Damn, so the KM7 actually has a thinner neck (by 1mm lol) Wish I could find dimensions for the LTD cause that is my top choice so far. Sucks I cant try one out in person, though.
Another thing to consider is scale length. The Ibanez and LTD are 25.5" and the Schecter is 26.5", so on the Schecter the frets will be a bit wider and further apart.

I think the LTD will have the thickest neck of the 3, but not my much. The Ibanez feels thinner in the hand, however, because the Wizard neck is a soft D shape while LTD and Schecter use a C shape.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Personally I'd go for the KM7 because I generally adore this guitar, but then I'd also say the scale length is a plus (unless you never ever plan to go below B standard, it's probably going to be better since it's going to hold tune better and feel tighter overall, but still not full-on long baritone).

The pickups are also a big question, whether you prefer passive or active. I've heard pretty much only good things about the Nazgul/Sentient combo and all the recordings I've heard definitely agree with this sentiment, but this is up to you.
I'll recommend a Schecter. I've played tons of them, and love them all. The KM7 in particular is an absolute beast. That's my next guitar, whenever I get the money together. Keith Merrow recently sold one of his $6000+ Custom guitars over facebook because according to him, "I just don't play it anymore. I love my KM7s THAT much".
Quote by TheLiberation
Personally I'd go for the KM7 because I generally adore this guitar, but then I'd also say the scale length is a plus (unless you never ever plan to go below B standard, it's probably going to be better since it's going to hold tune better and feel tighter overall, but still not full-on long baritone).

The pickups are also a big question, whether you prefer passive or active. I've heard pretty much only good things about the Nazgul/Sentient combo and all the recordings I've heard definitely agree with this sentiment, but this is up to you.

I actually plan to play in drop A most of the time. You think that will make a difference if im playing a 25.5?

The reason I ask is because 1. i prefer active pickups and 2. i have pretty small hands lol. Bigger frets may not be ideal
25.5 is fine for Drop A. Just need proper gauges to maintain tension.

I believe the KM 7's stock tuning is Drop A.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

Na, they come with a standard EB 7 string slinky set, in standard B. But drop A is just the drop D of the 7 string. Just fine with standard strings, but some would certainly like to go a little heavier, just for the tight chugs.
Quote by the_bi99man
Na, they come with a standard EB 7 string slinky set, in standard B. But drop A is just the drop D of the 7 string. Just fine with standard strings, but some would certainly like to go a little heavier, just for the tight chugs.

Agree with this,

And if you did go for the ibanez, a 707 in the bridge is a stupid choice imo.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by lemurflames

In theory yes, but I also play in drop A on a 26.5" Schecter, and it takes a .064 to get a reasonable tension for me in A (well, .062 is also passable) and the bridge is set all the way back for the 7th string for the right intonation, so I'm not sure what things would look like on a shorter scale. I guess 25.5" may still work, but A is the absolute borderline.

And yes, just looking at the strings it appears the KM7 setup for drop A indeed (also Keith Merrow's usual tuning and string gauges as far as I know).
I intonated a low G on my 25.5". It will be fine. You're worrying too much.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Not saying it can't work, just that 26.5" is safer. (I wouldn't hesitate in this case personally, and even though my hands are fairly small I feel perfectly comfortable with 26.5".)
I love my 26.5" Loomis.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
thanks for the help guys
Quote by Carrot
Agree with this,

And if you did go for the ibanez, a 707 in the bridge is a stupid choice imo.

Why do you say? Since the LTD is my top choice right now, what do you think about the 707 in the neck and 81-7 in the bridge in that mahogany body? A better setup?

Here's the link
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1007STBLK?adpos=1o1&creative=55280653081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CI7Ln7OFucACFQwV7AodAUgAwg
Quote by Ippon
Why not the 27" scale LTD SC-607B?

+607

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by esskater770
thanks for the help guys

Why do you say? Since the LTD is my top choice right now, what do you think about the 707 in the neck and 81-7 in the bridge in that mahogany body? A better setup?

Here's the link
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1007STBLK?adpos=1o1&creative=55280653081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CI7Ln7OFucACFQwV7AodAUgAwg

Always loved the 81, so the 81-7 would be a much better choice in the bridge than putting a 707 in the bridge. 707 in the neck is a good choice for me personally and i like the one in my RGIR, just feel the 707 in the bridge lacks 'punch' and gets muddy under gain.

Id probably jump on the H1007 or the SCT607b myself.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Ippon
^ Yes, specially if you like the Tele shape:

Im trying to find a reason not to put one on finance.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
So i just tried a few guitars out at GC. I tried a cheap Schecter 7 string with a fat neck, and I didn't mind it at all. I play a Schecter c-1 exotic now, so that wont be a problem.

I also didnt mind the extended scale of 26.5.

I actually didnt really like the super thin neck on one of the Ibanezes. The shorter scale made no difference to me.

So now it is between the LTD H 1007 and the KM7. Main differences being the set neck on the KM vs the set thru on the LTD, and the passive pickups on the KM vs the active on the LTD.

I know the pickups are personal preference, but i've never had experience with active pickups and really dont know what I prefer. I like the dynamics you get with passives, but what are the true CONS of having the passives that come with the KM? I mean, they designed it with those pickups for a reason
Me for personal preference i like passives.
But i love the play-ability of LTD's.

Passives seem to clean up more than actives with the volume rolled off, actives still have that bit of punch to them where as passives will clean up fully in my experience, but the passives still give the punch of actives when you need it.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by esskater770

I know the pickups are personal preference, but i've never had experience with active pickups and really dont know what I prefer. I like the dynamics you get with passives, but what are the true CONS of having the passives that come with the KM? I mean, they designed it with those pickups for a reason

The only electric guitar I own has active EMGs (the 81/85 set) and I love it. But I've played some others with passive pickups, and never really felt like either was obviously better. Obviously, if you're trying to play heavy stuff, which I'd assume you are, if you're going for a 7 string, you want high-output pickups, whether they're active or passive. I like the sound of my EMGs, but after watching tons of demo videos of the Nazgul/Sentient set that's in the KM7, I fiend for that tone.
There's also the AW-7 with D-Activators ($899 Alex Wade's sig, Zach's bandmate). EDIT: All the new ZH-7s should have D-Activators. Zach had it changed from EMGs after his sig released. He must have fallen in love with them when he used the AW-7 to record their self-titled album.

The 417 is in a completely different league than everything else that is being discussed here. In a bad way...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames
There's also the AW-7 with D-Activators ($899 Alex Wade's sig, Zach's bandmate). EDIT: All the new ZH-7s should have D-Activators. Zach had it changed from EMGs after his sig released. He must have fallen in love with them when he used the AW-7 to record their self-titled album.

The 417 is in a completely different league than everything else that is being discussed here. In a bad way...

I wasnt sure about the 417. The specs are basically the same, and the satin finish is pretty cool. I guess where its made makes a big difference huh
Quote by esskater770
I wasnt sure about the 417. The specs are basically the same, and the satin finish is pretty cool. I guess where its made makes a big difference huh

It typically does. Some chinese made guitars are not bad for their price, when they're cheap. But I wouldn't spend that much on somethin chinese. It's hard to find US made in the sub-$1000 range, but Indonesian and Korean guitars are usually way better than chinese. The KM-7 is Korean, plus all Schecters are run through their setup shop in California before they go to dealers. The US shop guys clean up and polish the frets, if needed, check the action and bridges and pickup heights and all that stuff. Plus the KM-7 has stainless steel frets. I don't know if the other guitars people have recommended here do, but that's super sweet.