I now own the Peavey 6505+ head, running into a Mesa 4X12 cab.

I have always toyed with the idea of selling the 6505+ for some odd reason, perhaps just for a change, or to try something new. Recently someone offered to buy my head, so here is my question:

Should I even sell the Peavey? I play stoner/sludge/thrash/death'n'roll style music, so this begs the question, should I keep the Peavey, or in fact sell it for the Diavlo or the 5150III? I know the 5150III is a higher quality amp, but would it do all the sludge and doom stuff as well? It is also only 50 watts compared to the Diavlo's 100 watts. But would the Diavlo be a step down quality wise?

Thoughts and opinions oh guitar gear warriors.
The diavlo is good for the money imo, and it'd be better than the 5150 III for that stuff.

Stoner/sludge/thrash/death 'n' roll anyway get the voice in my head to scream "orange".
You might wanna look at the rockerverb II, or maybe the OR series.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I wouldn't call the 5150 III Mini a higher quality amp than the 6505+. The 100W absolutely, but the 50W is... eh.

Besides the nitpicking, I agree with Spambot 100%. The Diavlo would be best, but what you really need is an Orange.

Other flavors that'll do what you want great are a Mesa Rectifier (any kind, really), or a big simple Marshall (something like a 2203/2204 or a Vintage Modern, or maybe even an SL-X).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, an Orange Rockerverb is def my dream amp, but almost impossible to find on the used market in this area. The shitty thing is I need an amp for gigging, so I couldn't sell the amp and save up a bit. I may sell a guitar and use the amp and guitar money together and perhaps get lucky on ebay. Problem once again is it has to be in Canada other wise the freight and customs would negate getting it used more than likely.

Not adverse to a Recto or Marshall if they would do what I need them to. I do have a TS to throw up front, which I do normally anyways to tighten things up a little.

I run a pretty simple set up. Just amp, cab, tuner, tubescreamer, noise gate, guitar! lol
This screams rockerverb all over it.
A guy i know uses a rockerverb with a p90 equipped ESP viper to play sludge/stoner with and it sounds great.
Cab was a orange with v30's/g12t-75s in the X pattern. Sounded killer
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The 6505 and the 6505+ are the same as their 5150 counter parts. Difference is straight up in the name. That's my understanding anyways after conversations with a few peavey techs.

But I've personally never had them side by side before so I could be wrong. IMHO I don't know that I'd trade a newer amp for even a similar counterpart that is potentially 10+ years older.

Disclaimer- I'm a happy 6505 owner and definitely biased.
5150 = 6505

5150 Ii = 6505+
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by axe9096
The 6505 and the 6505+ are the same as their 5150 counter parts. Difference is straight up in the name. That's my understanding anyways after conversations with a few peavey techs.

But I've personally never had them side by side before so I could be wrong. IMHO I don't know that I'd trade a newer amp for even a similar counterpart that is potentially 10+ years older.

Disclaimer- I'm a happy 6505 owner and definitely biased.

The 5150 III, on the other hand, is quite a bit different than the Peaveys. It doesn't have the balls nor does it sound as "pissed off." I didn't like it at all when I played one, and it was the 100 watt version. Some people love them though.

Either way, both the Peavey and the Fender are not ideal for TS.

I'd say Recto or Orange.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X, JCM2000 DSL100/50, Laney GH50/100, Laney VH100r, Laney AOR 50/100, Orange OR80, Orange Thunderverb, Krank Chadwick, Krank 1980

These would be on my short list of amps you should try, the Laney AOR above them all. They are very cheap used and they do Stoner very well. They run $300ish used so you could probably keep you 6505+ and then you'd have a variety of sounds available.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In my opinion, the Marshalls, the rectifiers and rockerverb are nice amps but they're a step down if you're looking for the aggressiveness that the 5150/6505 and Diavlo have to offer. I'm personally not a fan of the 6505 because of its clean channel but that was greatly improved in the 5150iii but again it's all on your needs, I wouldn't just toss an amp toward a genre and call it a day. From what I've heard, (over YouTube anyway) the Diavlo seems tighter than the average amp with nothing infront of it and has its own form of aggressiveness that's a little different from a 6505/5150. Do some research and ask a lot of questions (call Randall and Peavey and email other crazy Gearheads) and really figure out what you want out of the amp before making a decision.

Personally, I would go for the Diavlo since it has balls of steel, a decent clean channel, and you'll have a more unique tone than the other 5 million people who own a record or 5150
If your okay with a drive, check out used amps in Nova Scotia or even NB, the few times ive been to NS theres been orange everywhere. There's A lot of marshals going used here in Fredericton lately.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???