Im in the market for a new SS amp, ive had some Randalls in the past, a few RG's, and an RX (which I quite like the sound of). I also have a few high end tube amps including a mesa and a nice v30 cab (will use the randall through the v30 cab), but since its a pain to always use a tube amp, esp when im playing a lot late at night at low volume, i have decided to get another SS.

The problem is im in australia where even a RG80 is a substantial $520 investment, and only one shop in the country stocks them. So I would have to buy it deaf.

Basically, since I already like the Randall sound, i would just like to know how the new RG's, particularly the 80, sound in comparison to the previous generation of RG/RX series amps. Also do they have more gain than the RX Series? If it sounds like a better, higher gain version of an RX120 (minus the volume), i'll definitely grab one.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
but since its a pain to always use a tube amp, esp when im playing a lot late at night at low volume, i have decided to get another SS.
How is it a pain to always use a tube amp?

Also a solid state amp won't sound better at low volumes just because it's a solid state amp.

Pretty much everything sounds better when turned up, to a certain extent, and that has to do with the speakers pushing more air and the fletcher-munson curvesm which basically result in you getting a fuller and possibly punchier sound.

If you want to play late at night and get a good tone, get a good amp modeler and a pair of cans.

As for the randall's they make nowadays, I really haven't tried them but what I heard here and there mostly was that the cleans are a bit meh, and the distortion is reeeally powerful.
Very good for thrash and similar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
ha ha, sorry but i disagree with everything you say.

1. It is most definitely a pain to always play tube amps. flick it on, wait for it to warm up, play it, flick it on standby, go for a ciggie, get distracted and accidently leave it on for an hour, horrible sound at levels that wont wake my neighbors, wasting tube life practicing random crap that i dont care how it sounds.

A solid state at very low volume will sound much closer to at optimal volume, while a tube amp will sound 10% of its potential at midnight wont wake my neighbors volume.

I have tried modelers, and i really cant stand them, or playing anything using headphones. Maybe if I had 5k to drop, id consider one but even then, naa.

Its like cars, yeah its nice to have a porsche to drive on the weekends, but you need a comfy sedan for your day to day driving.

I love it, posting just for the sake of posting.
RG's & Mesa's
Tube amp "potential" is a complete load of horseshit. It's a myth brewing pot concocted from ingredients such as old pre-MV amps (yeah, like the amps they were using 50 years ago), and complete disregard/ignorance of the (very real) fletcher munson curves effects.

Tube amps sound better when they're louder.

How fascinating, just like every thing else does! The human ear likes things louder. Period.

Also, going back to that people-stuck-in-the-60s thing, standby switches are totally irrelevant. They're there because they seem kind of cool and make an amp look higher quality and some other unimportant reasons. You don't need to use it or wait for the amp to warm up (flick it on same time as power). Your amp "warms up" in a matter of seconds.

Ditto for turning the amp off. All the standby does is possibly prevent the (harmless) popping noise that can happen when turning an amp off.

If your amp sounds horrible at talking volumes, that just means that your amp sounds horrible (either it's a bad amp, or it's just no the right amp for you). Has nothing to do with "potential" or any other crap like that.

I've owned 100W Peavey monsters and I now own a 6W simple VHT. Used them all with drummers and in tiny apartments. I've owned almost damn near every Peavey Vypyr that's come out, and I now own two Line 6 PODs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 29, 2014,
Thank you offworld.

Also a couple things to add to that...
Quote by Offworld92
How fascinating, just like every thing else does! The human ear likes things louder. Period.
It's not only that.
Guitar speakers tend to sound better when moving a bit, and at low volumes they barely do considering their size.
Quote by Offworld92
You don't need to use it or wait for the amp to warm up (flick it on same time as power). Your amp "warms up" in a matter of seconds.
Standby switches were useful when amps were done on the very cheap, and the components in there couldn't handle the voltage that comes up in tube amps for the first half minute they are on.

Now though they don't matter shite.

And it's not only a matter of seconds, my amp takes half a minute or maybe more to warm up.
Quote by Offworld92
Ditto for turning the amp off. All the standby does is possibly prevent the (harmless) popping noise that can happen when turning an amp off.
Though in more than a year without using a standby switch, I've never even heard any popping noise

So, TS, just out of curiosity, what amps do you own?
'cause you might wanna get better ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have a RG1503. They are more or less hot rodded versions of old RG amps. If you like Randall RGs you will love these ones. A big improvement over RG75 G3 I used to own. And yes, they have a lot of gain on tap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
hmm yeah my amps are pretty crap, i have a few mesa's, my latest one being a mini recto (for that low volume midnight playing which it cant do for crap), had some randall tube amps in the past that I didnt really like.

those mesas are pretty crappy though.

You can barely even get the poweramp section audible at low volume on these amps. Im talking real low volume. Plus on tube amps I find they require different settings depending on volume where as a SS you can just set it the way you like it and the EQ, gain etc, stay pretty much the same regardless of volume
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by e32lover
You can barely even get the poweramp section audible at low volume on these amps.
What do you exactly mean by this?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Just because an amp is objectively good doesn't mean it's a good amp for you. Mesas aren't particularly known for their low volume tones. But a lot of amps are great at low volumes.

One in particular that comes to mind, which actually happens to fall in Mesa ballpark tonally, is the Peavey JSX. I had one for a while, check it out. Cheap too.

Otherwise, have you tried the volume cut in the loop trick? Take an EQ and put it in the loop, cut the volume on the EQ like halfway below unity or so, then turn up the master volume on your amp to compensate. It should sound much better at talking levels. This is how I tamed my 6505 and 5150 that I used to have, works fantastically.

I'm not sure if you'll have any problems if your amp has a parallel loop or not (one of the big things I don't like about a lot of Mesas).

EDIT: Are you trying to get poweramp breakup out of a Mesa at talking volumes? Because all of that is just wrong, not going to happen.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 29, 2014,
Thanks Offworld. Dont get me wrong I love the sound of mesas, just not at low volumes. Would this loop trick work with an o/d pedal in the effects loop?

Apart from the extra channel and a bit of extra headroom, is there any difference between the RG80 and the RG1003h (apart from the h being just a head)?

I sort of wanted a combo, but i'll be using it 99% of the time with a cab, so i could get just the head if it has any advantage for my application.
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Aug 29, 2014,
^ if it's clean enough and you can turn the gain lower than unity, it will work.
Thing is, overdrives aren't really known for being clean nor for giving you a gain lower than unity, so while you should definitely try this with an OD pedal if you have one, an EQ will most likely get you better results.
Quote by e32lover
go and play one and youl see
I was being ironic - what you wrote there doesn't make any sense, so I was trying and prompting you to explain what you meant by that so we could help you solving that issue.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Damn guys, why bother with the argument. Dude wants an RG, let him get one. I agree that it probably won't be that much better if at all, but hey, let TS figure it out.

FWIW, the new RGs are pretty sick fr what I hear.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the advice.

Its amazing how little info there is on Randalls site regarding these amps.

One thing i cant figure out, the new RG heads all have 3 channels, clean dirty and extreme, however the rg80 has 2 channels, clean and ?. Also, do they all sound the same apart from the headroom? I was reading a thread where a guy had a 1003h and didnt like it, and bought a 3003h and said it sounded much better.

Now im leaning towards the 3003h since its only 30% dearer than the RG80 where I am.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
Im in the market for a new SS amp, ive had some Randalls in the past, a few RG's, and an RX (which I quite like the sound of). I also have a few high end tube amps including a mesa and a nice v30 cab (will use the randall through the v30 cab), but since its a pain to always use a tube amp, esp when im playing a lot late at night at low volume, i have decided to get another SS.

The problem is im in australia where even a RG80 is a substantial $520 investment, and only one shop in the country stocks them. So I would have to buy it deaf.

Basically, since I already like the Randall sound, i would just like to know how the new RG's, particularly the 80, sound in comparison to the previous generation of RG/RX series amps. Also do they have more gain than the RX Series? If it sounds like a better, higher gain version of an RX120 (minus the volume), i'll definitely grab one.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
so for gain wich is best if you ever found out Rg or Rx in the g2 75 versions if possible. I like to play Deicide , Cannibal Corpse, metalica, slayer anyways heavy shit. Would like an opinion thanks :-)
Probably would have been better to start your own thread, this one is a year and a half old, but I would go RG over RX every time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.