Hello! The question is what gear should I use for home recording clean signal of guitars/bass-guitars for further reamping? I'm not going to mix something seriously and such stuff, I just only need really good quality of clean signal recording.
For this, you should use the gear recommended in the sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by sirFlyingV
I'm not going to mix something seriously and such stuff, I just only need really good quality of clean signal recording.
A really good quality of clean signal recording is what you need for something serious.

If you don't need something serious, get an unbranded guitar link.
If you do, get a decent audio interface.

Also yeah, getting an idea of what audio interfaces are and how they work would be a good idea.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by GaryBillington
For this, you should use the gear recommended in the sticky.

Sticky says that Focusrite - SAFFIRE 6 / SCARLETT 2i4 would be good. But still it's kind of budget interface, is it really good enough to use it for recording signal that will be reamped and recorded in real pro studio? Should I use some directbox with it?
So you've gone from this:
not going to mix something seriously and such stuff

To this:
good enough to use it for recording signal that will be reamped and recorded in real pro studio

That's two very different levels of ambition.

What exactly are your aims/goals?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
So you've gone from this:

To this:

That's two very different levels of ambition.

What exactly are your aims/goals?

exactly - now it's pretty popular in studios to record first clean signal of guitars (with sound from ampsims or real amp for reference, with sound close to what is supposed to be in result), focusing on playing, not on details of sound, and then to reamp that signal, tweaking amps and mics as much as needed to get perfect sound without playing hundreds of takes with different sound. But studio time is expensive, so two-three days in studio can cost like serious sound interface, which you can buy once and use every day. Also i think that in such way pro-level monitoring is not needed when you are recording clean signal, but signal itself must be recorded good enough to use it in pro studio. This is the idea - to get a sound interface to record high quality guitar signal at home, and reamp it in studio, not for trying to do cool home mixing, or recoding drums.
0.k., got that.

The biggest bang for the buck you can achieve is, if ya ask me, an apogee duet.
If you don't have a mac, an audient id22 will not be as good but it will still be good.

Then if you don't wanna spend that kind of money, get a mackie onyx blackjack.

See the thing is, directly recorded guitars don't matter much - you can change their sound a looot if you know what you're doing, and using a cheap interface won't really get you a much worse result than an expensive interface, especially if the sound is gonna get distorted on purpose, say using whatever amp's distortion channel.

Lemme give you an example - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Spambot_2/music/play1271345
This was recorded with a vintage spec'd tele running into an m audio fast track pro USB, which you can get nowadays for less than $100 used.

Also I wouldn't get a focusrite.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
OK, well let me put it this way - some of the guys on here are pro's, and they fed into the sticky to come up with the recommendations.

EDIT - Luca, you still need to get those added to the sticky!!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 29, 2014,
^ I am still in the process of rewriting most of it with included explanations of what audio interfaces are, what they do, why would you need one instead of another and so on.
I'll send it to chemicalfire asap, though I'm trying to write a comprehensive guide and gotta finish it first

Also non of the guys here are pro's in the literal sense afaik.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Direct boxes are used to bring the impedance level of something down to line level and balance the signal, so you can pick up (a lot) less noise.

When recording, you would need a DI box if your interface didn't have a high impedance input.
Thing is, most interfaces nowadays have high impedance inputs, so no, you don't need one.

Also if you bought a DI box better sounding than an nice interface's input stage, you'd be paying more for that than for the interface alone.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For reamping, don't get a Scarlett 2i2. Get a 2i4, they have a pad function which you will need.

Record a clean DI into your DAW through a Scarlett 2i4, there preamps are fantastic and clean, they will sound professional and aren't too expensive.

Then get yourself the Palmer Daccappo, this is your reamp box. You hook this up to the outputs for the Focusrite interface and then into the input of your amp. Get a microphone or a DI out of the amp and then run that into your interface, start playing on your DAW your clean DI guitar track and then record the microphone.
No DI box is needed.
Signal chain>

Guitar > Focusrite 2i4 input > DAW (Reaper is a good free one) > Focusrite 2i4 Output > Palmer Daccapo reamp box > Input of amp.

Then

Microphone infront of amps speakers > Input of Focusrite
Quote by AJScott
a Scarlett 2i4, there preamps are fantastic and clean, they will sound professional and aren't too expensive.
I don't mean to offend you, but this makes it sound like you've either never heard a 2i4, or you haven't heard anything else in your life.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola