So I have this extremely tight budget of $680 in which to buy a guitar as well as an amp. The actual problem is that I live in the Middle East where a barren land called Saudi Arabia (In city called Jeddah) exists -_- Pretty much no one here plays instruments so there are literally no shops. The ones which are, are like over the top prices.

The option which remains with me is to get it from Amazon through their AmazonGlobal Shipping. Now the budget would be an extra $110 if it weren't for the product shipping.

I did a bit of research & found this to be a good buy:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Plus Top, Maple Fingerboard

It's shipping is roughly $65 which will be covered from the $110 I set asides.

For the amp, my friend recommended me to get this practice amp for now. Marshall MG2CFX
Where it's shipping is the rest of the shipping budget.

Now if there are any other options available, which also ship here, I would gladly hear. Also, since I can't get all this money in one go, should I buy the guitar first and then the amp or vise verse?

Help very much appreciated
Pretty nice guitar to use.
As for the amp try a peavey VIP1/2/3 or a peavey vyper. Fingers crossed that comes in budget. Havent a clue how looking for one used would be.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
1) check out Reverb.com and eBay for guitars & amps you like. Some of the people selling gear there DO ship internationally.

Also, some of the Asian guitar makers- Ibanez, Fernandes/Burny, ESP/LTD, Orville, Tokai, Yamaha, Edwards, etc- may be cheaper for you to import than the products from US ones.

Fellow UGer gregs1020 pointed out these sites:
www.rinkya.com
www.jauce.com

As well as buyee and fromjapan (though he didn't supply links.

I also know that homegrown Indonesian brands like Swing and Radix are making good guitars which may be cheaper for you to aquire.

2) normally, I suggest you buy when you find a good deal. But you REALLY have to figure in massive shipping costs. So, if you can, try to buy both from the same dealer- it might save you in shipping costs. It also may help you work a better deal if you communicate with the seller via email or whatever, bemoaning your situation and asking if you can get a bulk purchase deal by buying an amp and axe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 29, 2014,
guitar sounds good

what type(s) of music will you be playing? most people aren't too fussed on the marshall MGs, a modeller is normally a better idea but it depends on what music you play most.

assuming you don't already have any guitar gear, if you can't get both at once you should get the guitar first since the amp on its own will just sit there in the corner doing nothing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Carrot
Pretty nice guitar to use.
As for the amp try a peavey VIP1/2/3 or a peavey vyper. Fingers crossed that comes in budget. Havent a clue how looking for one used would be.

Trying to search around but through amazon, it would cost be an extra $60
Quote by dannyalcatraz
1) check out Reverb.com and eBay for guitars & amps you like. Some of the people selling gear there DO ship internationally.

Also, some of the Asian guitar makers- Ibanez, Fernandes/Burny, ESP/LTD, Orville, Tokai, Yamaha, Edwards, etc- may be cheaper for you to import than the products from US ones.

Fellow UGer gregs1020 pointed out these sites:
www.rinkya.com
www.jauce.com

As well as buyee and fromjapan (though he didn't supply links.

I also know that homegrown Indonesian brands like Swing and Radix are making good guitars which may be cheaper for you to aquire.

2) normally, I suggest you buy when you find a good deal. But you REALLY have to figure in massive shipping costs. So, if you can, try to buy both from the same dealer- it might save you in shipping costs. It also may help you work a better deal if you communicate with the seller via email or whatever, bemoaning your situation and asking if you can get a bulk purchase deal by buying an amp and axe.

Ebay shipping is a whole lot expensive than amazon & since it's usually individual sellers, they take a lot of time sending the stuff. Once ordered a mouse which never reached me but thankfully received a refund.

Thanks. I will check out those links you talked about.

I actually want a guitar which would serve me well for at least 2-3 years. And I might lose interest if the sound isn't very good & since I barely have any idea about guitars, I went for the one which is most popular with beginners and also being of good quality.

From amazon, at least, I can get Fender from Fender themselves. Marshall from Marshall & Peavey from Peavey. They all got their proper retailers so can't get from the same dealer. I can do the email thing but first I need to find a seller for what I want which actually ships at a not so expensive price >.<
Quote by Dave_Mc
guitar sounds good

what type(s) of music will you be playing? most people aren't too fussed on the marshall MGs, a modeller is normally a better idea but it depends on what music you play most.

assuming you don't already have any guitar gear, if you can't get both at once you should get the guitar first since the amp on its own will just sit there in the corner doing nothing

Yuh. I looked a bit into it & Fender guitars tend to be good. Want to spend a bit for the first time since I have no idea how to play or any know hows.

I guess I will be mostly playing rock/metal but then again, I might want to try out other genres like Jazz. Focus would be on playing something like SOAD/Black Sabbath/LZ. Around the lines.

Yup, got none at all. Sounds like a good plan. You think I can play the guitar without an amp? If so, how?
If you're mainly playing the heavier stuff, the peavey vypyrs and VIPs carrot mentioned come well-regarded. I haven't tried it Being a modeller it should have some versatility for other styles of music, too.

Yeah you can play without an amp. an electric guitar still makes noise without an amp, it just doesn't sound that great, like a very quiet acoustic. But you can still "play" it. A lot of players (myself included) practise unplugged a lot of the time, since it's quiet and saves you from having to fire up the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8XWnkK8aKQ

I'd get an amp as soon as you can, though, because playing unplugged as a choice is one thing, playing unplugged because you have no amp is another. You don't want to sour yourself on it before you even start.

EDIT: the other disadvantage of not having an amp is that you can't test that the guitar's electronics are functioning properly once you get it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 29, 2014,
Tried one of the VIPs cause thats the i was given to test a guitar out on a while ago. decent little amp but im not one for modellers.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you're mainly playing the heavier stuff, the peavey vypyrs and VIPs carrot mentioned come well-regarded. I haven't tried it Being a modeller it should have some versatility for other styles of music, too.

Yeah you can play without an amp. an electric guitar still makes noise without an amp, it just doesn't sound that great, like a very quiet acoustic. But you can still "play" it. A lot of players (myself included) practise unplugged a lot of the time, since it's quiet and saves you from having to fire up the amp.

I'd get an amp as soon as you can, though, because playing unplugged as a choice is one thing, playing unplugged because you have no amp is another. You don't want to sour yourself on it before you even start.

EDIT: the other disadvantage of not having an amp is that you can't test that the guitar's electronics are functioning properly once you get it.

Thanks for the reply. I get what you mean now. For the checking of electronics, I can always ask my friend who got an amp with him.

Quote by Carrot
Tried one of the VIPs cause thats the i was given to test a guitar out on a while ago. decent little amp but im not one for modellers.

A lot of you are saying something about modellers. What does that mean? Are they different from Electric Guitar amps?
For $100-200, you can get some kind of portable digital modeler- Korg, Boss, Line6, Tascam and others make them- to play through headphones. They're small enough to fit in a guitar case, and (depending on model) feature things like amp & pedal simulations, tuners, metronomes, preprogrammed drums, USB connectivity, micro SD drives or even microphones. Perfect devices for practice, anywhere, anytime.

I used Korgs (mostly) for 3 years while I shopped for an amp.

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by Coloneltreavy

A lot of you are saying something about modellers. What does that mean? Are they different from Electric Guitar amps?

different form, they are electric guitar amps, just have loads of different effects, some have different amp models on them, cab sims, etc etc. gives you a rough idea on the actual amp. kinda thing.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For $100-200, you can get some kind of portable digital modeler- Korg, Boss, Line6, Tascam and others make them- to play through headphones. They're small enough to fit in a guitar case, and (depending on model) feature things like amp & pedal simulations, tuners, metronomes, preprogrammed drums, USB connectivity, micro SD drives or even microphones. Perfect devices for practice, anywhere, anytime.

I used Korgs (mostly) for 3 years while I shopped for an amp.

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Wouldn't buying a practice amp be more worth, then? I was thinking and I can probably connect headphones to the amp but I won't be able to play to cover the whole room with a portable digital modeler. Not a big fan of using the headphones unless necessary But Thanks for the info. Maybe I will need it someday
Quote by Carrot
different form, they are electric guitar amps, just have loads of different effects, some have different amp models on them, cab sims, etc etc. gives you a rough idea on the actual amp. kinda thing.

So Normal Electric guitar amps don't have that many effects? Actually, are effects useful as such for a beginner?

Thanks
Quote by Coloneltreavy
(a) Thanks for the reply. I get what you mean now. For the checking of electronics, I can always ask my friend who got an amp with him.

(b) A lot of you are saying something about modellers. What does that mean? Are they different from Electric Guitar amps?

(a) ah no worries, yeah that would work just fine.

(b) There are a couple of meanings of "modellers". Some are amps which have amp-modelling built in. It means they mimic the sound of various different classic amps (not as good, but you get a lot more versatility and they're cheaper). Some multi-fx pedals and things like that (like what danny said) also have amp modelling, but you need to use a separate amp with them (or headphones).

Quote by Coloneltreavy
Wouldn't buying a practice amp be more worth, then? I was thinking and I can probably connect headphones to the amp but I won't be able to play to cover the whole room with a portable digital modeler. Not a big fan of using the headphones unless necessary But Thanks for the info. Maybe I will need it someday

yeah if you want to play loudly as well as quietly then an amp which has modelling built-in would make more sense. As you said, most of the practice-type modelling amps normally have a headphone socket so you can also use them with headphones for quiet playing.

Quote by Coloneltreavy
So Normal Electric guitar amps don't have that many effects? Actually, are effects useful as such for a beginner?

Thanks

It depends... some do, some don't. The very cheapest amps normally don't and are very basic. Then the more expensive (normally tube/valve) amps normally don't have them either. Most modelling amps, like the Peavey Vypyr, do have effects built-in. They're often a bit basic, but they're good enough to let you see what effects are like and to let you decide which ones you like before spending more on separate effects.

You don't really "need" effects, but they can be fun to play around with. The advantage of getting them built-in is that they don't cost too much. That's another reason why modellers are good for a beginner, you have virtually everything you need built into the amp already, for a fairly reasonable price. You aren't breaking the bank but you don't feel short-changed on features either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 29, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc

It depends... some do, some don't. The very cheapest amps normally don't and are very basic. Then the more expensive (normally tube/valve) amps normally don't have them either. Most modelling amps, like the Peavey Vypyr, do have effects built-in. They're often a bit basic, but they're good enough to let you see what effects are like and to let you decide which ones you like before spending more on separate effects.

You don't really "need" effects, but they can be fun to play around with. The advantage of getting them built-in is that they don't cost too much. That's another reason why modellers are good for a beginner, you have virtually everything you need built into the amp already, for a fairly reasonable price. You aren't breaking the bank but you don't feel short-changed on features either.

^ This. Glad Dave covered it cause I've had a little bit too much to drink and effort to type.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) ah no worries, yeah that would work just fine.

(b) There are a couple of meanings of "modellers". Some are amps which have amp-modelling built in. It means they mimic the sound of various different classic amps (not as good, but you get a lot more versatility and they're cheaper). Some multi-fx pedals and things like that (like what danny said) also have amp modelling, but you need to use a separate amp with them (or headphones).

yeah if you want to play loudly as well as quietly then an amp which has modelling built-in would make more sense. As you said, most of the practice-type modelling amps normally have a headphone socket so you can also use them with headphones for quiet playing.

Thanks a lot, Dave. That was really helpful and I can now get what modelling amps are and also about effects. I saw this a while ago and was wondering what it really was but now it makes sense (But damn, it's expensive). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProfilingAmp

By your comment, I am guessing you suggesting me to go for the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1? Or is there a better one which comes in the same price tag (Nothing more I can afford)? Or go for the Marshall amp I talked of (small chance of that happening lol)?

Again, Thanks a ton for taking your time in explaining all of this to a newbie such as me. I know I could've gone and researched it myself and not bothered you but I barely knew anything to begin with to pick up research on ^_^
Quote by Carrot
^ This. Glad Dave covered it cause I've had a little bit too much to drink and effort to type.

Ah, np dude. You also helped out a ton in where I was struggling.
I spent a few years as an ex pat in Saudi in Riyadh.

Your best option might be to wait until you go on vacation outside Saudi. Getting something shipped to Saudi means it has to go through Saudi customs there and the mental midgets that run it they will trash your guitar and you may get it in pieces.

I would get a Steinberger and a headphone amp of some sort. The Moss Micro BR 80 is an amazing tool all around and compact too.

Anyways good luck hope it goes well.
Quote by Coloneltreavy

It depends on your personal situation.

In my case, the modeler let me practice anywhere I felt like bringing my guitar, and without fear disturbing anyone. Even though I have an amp & a carpet of pedals NOW, I still use the modeler a when practicing in gardens, in empty rooms wherei work or go to school, etc.

Plus, it let me sort out what effects and amps interested me able I was playing on the pricey guitar I bought that ate my whole budget.

But if you have no need to be quiet- as I did- go for a modeling amp or an amp & pedals of some kind.

Quote by Zhaezzy
I spent a few years as an ex pat in Saudi in Riyadh.

Your best option might be to wait until you go on vacation outside Saudi. Getting something shipped to Saudi means it has to go through Saudi customs there and the mental midgets that run it they will trash your guitar and you may get it in pieces.

I would get a Steinberger and a headphone amp of some sort. The Moss Micro BR 80 is an amazing tool all around and compact too.

Anyways good luck hope it goes well.

Damn dude, really? Did you have an experience like that before? I did ask amazon and they said they will take care of everything till it reaches by doorstep. Here is what they said "If the items are eligible, there is no need concern about the SASO certificate and problem with customs. Our carriers clear the customs and sent the package to the shipping address. "

And I don't think I have a shipping option to get a steinberger, nor do I know much about guitars to look around and see which one fits best for me. The reason I am going for a Strat is because the company is well renowned and especially that guitar. I also see some youtubers play it and they bring about the desired results on what songs I want to try playing

And that Boss thing is out of my budget ^_^ By a long shot.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It depends on your personal situation.

In my case, the modeler let me practice anywhere I felt like bringing my guitar, and without fear disturbing anyone. Even though I have an amp & a carpet of pedals NOW, I still use the modeler a when practicing in gardens, in empty rooms wherei work or go to school, etc.

Plus, it let me sort out what effects and amps interested me able I was playing on the pricey guitar I bought that ate my whole budget.

But if you have no need to be quiet- as I did- go for a modeling amp or an amp & pedals of some kind.

I don't really move around a lot and doubt that I will be taking my guitar to places asides from my house, where I need to be quiet. There are times like where I do need to be quiet, but then I could just plug in headphones on the amp (I heard that's possible). Maybe, when I am a bit more experienced, I will go for it but I really want to have the proper feel of the guitar at the start. Rocking hard and all :P
Quote by Coloneltreavy
Damn dude, really? Did you have an experience like that before? I did ask amazon and they said they will take care of everything till it reaches by doorstep. Here is what they said "If the items are eligible, there is no need concern about the SASO certificate and problem with customs. Our carriers clear the customs and sent the package to the shipping address. "

And I don't think I have a shipping option to get a steinberger, nor do I know much about guitars to look around and see which one fits best for me. The reason I am going for a Strat is because the company is well renowned and especially that guitar. I also see some youtubers play it and they bring about the desired results on what songs I want to try playing

And that Boss thing is out of my budget ^_^ By a long shot.

I do have experience they disassembled the tunomatic bridge on my vintage ES 125 and lost most of the parts. I had to put together my locking tuners on my strat they parts were strewn throughout the case. Other people had torn clothing and other things in disrepair due to the customs there.

Steinberger is just a nice guitar that is very small and compact. Basically a stick with pickups. But it is a decent guitar.

http://www.amazon.com/Steinberger-Spirit-GT-Pro-Standard-Electric/dp/B001R2TIM6/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1409415817&sr=1-5&keywords=steinberger
Quote by Zhaezzy
I do have experience they disassembled the tunomatic bridge on my vintage ES 125 and lost most of the parts. I had to put together my locking tuners on my strat they parts were strewn throughout the case. Other people had torn clothing and other things in disrepair due to the customs there.

Steinberger is just a nice guitar that is very small and compact. Basically a stick with pickups. But it is a decent guitar.

http://www.amazon.com/Steinberger-Spirit-GT-Pro-Standard-Electric/dp/B001R2TIM6/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1409415817&sr=1-5&keywords=steinberger

Oh damn. That must have sucked. Alright. I will confirm it from amazon that they bring the product as a whole or else I won't buy.

Steinberger definitely does have the looks? What about the sound quality? Is it equal, superior or inferior to the Fender (Mex) Strat?
Quote by Coloneltreavy
(a) Thanks a lot, Dave. That was really helpful and I can now get what modelling amps are and also about effects. I saw this a while ago and was wondering what it really was but now it makes sense (But damn, it's expensive). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProfilingAmp

(b) By your comment, I am guessing you suggesting me to go for the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1? Or is there a better one which comes in the same price tag (Nothing more I can afford)? Or go for the Marshall amp I talked of (small chance of that happening lol)?

(c) Again, Thanks a ton for taking your time in explaining all of this to a newbie such as me. I know I could've gone and researched it myself and not bothered you but I barely knew anything to begin with to pick up research on ^_^

(a) No problem

And yeah you can get very expensive modelling amps too, which are supposed to be great (the axe fx is another one, and an older one is the line 6 vetta), but I haven't tried them.

(b) As I said, I haven't tried the vypyr, but it does seem to be one of the ones which is recommended most often for heavier tones. So take from that what you will I'd say that I've rarely been steered wrong on here, if one of the regulars says something about kit I haven't tried I normally take their word for it. But that doesn't necessarily mean you'd agree, either.

I haven't tried the newest version of the Marshall MG either, which is supposedly a little better, but the older version (which I have tried) is not great at all, in my opinion. It's nowhere near as versatile as a modeller, and doesn't sound that great, either. It's one thing buying an amp which is less versatile if the one or two sounds it does are far better than a modeller (and those are the one or two sounds you really need)- that makes sense. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy something which is less versatile which also sounds worse as well

(c) No worries. I'm well aware of how difficult it is at the start. I recently got an SLR camera and knew nothing about them and was glad I could ask people who knew about them- it's much, much better than trying to do the research yourself when you have no clue about anything.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Vypyr VIP 1 is a pretty solid little amp. I went to Guitar Center to buy a practice amp and was ready to get the little Orange Crush combo, but after playing both that and the Vypyr decided on the Vypyr (they had one used for $79, but even at its regular new price its a good deal). With the Vypyr you get a solid amp with a pretty wide variety of tones, as well as a bunch of built in effects. It will do very well for heavier music like the bands you mentioned.

One thing I will mention though, while the Strat is a classic guitar with a great tone (I have one), it isn't as popular for heavy metal type music. In that genre the Gibson (or Epiphone on a budget) Les Paul is pretty much the standard. With heavy metal, or even hard rock, usually humbuckers are preferred for more output and thicker distorted sound. Les Pauls have humbuckers, while Strats usually just have single coils. The Strat you linked to on Amazon does have a humbucker in the bridge positon, so you do kind of get the best of both worlds, but it might be worth it to look into the Les Paul option and see if there is anything within your budget.
^ I'd say if anything a superstrat (with a bridge humbucker) is actually better for heavy music than a gibson/epi (though granted a lot of it is preference). To me, the longer scale length, bolt-on neck and woods used make it sound tighter under heavy distortion (and/or dropped tunings) whereas gibsons/epis can sound a bit muddy.

I agree if you're talking about an SSS strat, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) No problem

And yeah you can get very expensive modelling amps too, which are supposed to be great (the axe fx is another one, and an older one is the line 6 vetta), but I haven't tried them.

(b) As I said, I haven't tried the vypyr, but it does seem to be one of the ones which is recommended most often for heavier tones. So take from that what you will I'd say that I've rarely been steered wrong on here, if one of the regulars says something about kit I haven't tried I normally take their word for it. But that doesn't necessarily mean you'd agree, either.

I haven't tried the newest version of the Marshall MG either, which is supposedly a little better, but the older version (which I have tried) is not great at all, in my opinion. It's nowhere near as versatile as a modeller, and doesn't sound that great, either. It's one thing buying an amp which is less versatile if the one or two sounds it does are far better than a modeller (and those are the one or two sounds you really need)- that makes sense. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy something which is less versatile which also sounds worse as well

(c) No worries. I'm well aware of how difficult it is at the start. I recently got an SLR camera and knew nothing about them and was glad I could ask people who knew about them- it's much, much better than trying to do the research yourself when you have no clue about anything.

Alright. If I get the option, I would get the Vypyr for sure. Marshall is pretty popular with bands so I thought it would generally be better than other brands but seems the low budget variants aren't so good. I would prefer versatility to begin with as well, since I want to try out different things. That does leave Vypyr as the best choice.

That's true. I also like to help out people where I am a little more experienced in than them. But still, Thanks ^_^

Quote by lose311
The Vypyr VIP 1 is a pretty solid little amp. I went to Guitar Center to buy a practice amp and was ready to get the little Orange Crush combo, but after playing both that and the Vypyr decided on the Vypyr (they had one used for $79, but even at its regular new price its a good deal). With the Vypyr you get a solid amp with a pretty wide variety of tones, as well as a bunch of built in effects. It will do very well for heavier music like the bands you mentioned.

One thing I will mention though, while the Strat is a classic guitar with a great tone (I have one), it isn't as popular for heavy metal type music. In that genre the Gibson (or Epiphone on a budget) Les Paul is pretty much the standard. With heavy metal, or even hard rock, usually humbuckers are preferred for more output and thicker distorted sound. Les Pauls have humbuckers, while Strats usually just have single coils. The Strat you linked to on Amazon does have a humbucker in the bridge positon, so you do kind of get the best of both worlds, but it might be worth it to look into the Les Paul option and see if there is anything within your budget.

Alright. Since everyone is recommending that, I will go for it But actually, it's not just heavy metal that I plan on playing, but those were just examples of what I like. Something like Time after Time or from The Beatles as well.

Oh, Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering what the difference between different kinds of coil positions and which ones are used for which kind of playing. I had researched on the Les Paul but even the starter is for like $1k. Epiphone is a nice option but then I heard you can't compete it to Fender, but their sub-company - squire. Where as Gibson basic guitar comes in par with the guitar I mentioned, whereas a whole lot more expensive.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I'd say if anything a superstrat (with a bridge humbucker) is actually better for heavy music than a gibson/epi (though granted a lot of it is preference). To me, the longer scale length, bolt-on neck and woods used make it sound tighter under heavy distortion (and/or dropped tunings) whereas gibsons/epis can sound a bit muddy.

I agree if you're talking about an SSS strat, though.

I did search specifically for the HSS option because I was looking for more diversity in which I can play & I guess the one I mentioned does that job. It is true that most metal bands prefer the Gibson, though. Or the Ibanez. Since I don't have many options, strat definitely stands out as a good option.
I really like the Agile LP copies.......very good quality for the price and they sell direct to the custmer....They range from 250 to 350.......great looking and the 2 i bought for students were beautiful and sounded great...Rondomusic,com

Also Guitar Fetish has a line of guitars by one of my heros Earl Slick, I recently recieved the Tele style for 225 and I aqm blown away by the tone....

For amps i would go used and solid state because tube amps weigh so much that shipping would be a fourtune (my peavey 5150 weighs 90lbs). Line 6 has a few good options as does Peavy and Marshall.
Quote by Guitaraddict45
I really like the Agile LP copies.......very good quality for the price and they sell direct to the custmer....They range from 250 to 350.......great looking and the 2 i bought for students were beautiful and sounded great...Rondomusic,com

Also Guitar Fetish has a line of guitars by one of my heros Earl Slick, I recently recieved the Tele style for 225 and I aqm blown away by the tone....

For amps i would go used and solid state because tube amps weigh so much that shipping would be a fourtune (my peavey 5150 weighs 90lbs). Line 6 has a few good options as does Peavy and Marshall.

Thanks dude but I am a complete novice in buying guitars so I don't even know how to check the tone and such. That's one reason why I want to get something from a popular brand.

Apparently, the shipping is cheaper of the Peavey Vypyr 1 compared to the guitar xD I guess it's because to ship a guitar overseas requires a lot more attention as to not damage it. Not many used amp options available in where I live but I will search around. As for the Solid state amps, I was gonna go for the Marshall one but seeing as it's sound quality isn't that good while price is same as the Peavey one, I would prefer going for Peavey.
@Zhaezzy I contacted the amazon employee and here is what they had to say

Hello,

I understand you're concerned about the shipping details of the items you'd like to purchase.

I checked and can confirm that you can order your items and indicate that they are gifts so they can be gift wrapped if you want to make sure they won't be damaged at customs.

To learn about gift wrap and other gift options, visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=759346

Please be assured that we make every attempt to make sure your order is packaged securely and efficiently. If you buy an item and discover it's not what you expected or it arrived damaged or defective, you can return it for a refund via our Online Returns Center (http://www.amazon.com/returns) or you may contact for other options that you'd like to have.

Furthermore, international packages will be sent via DHL Global Mail, IMEX, UPS, I-Parcel, MSI, or DHL Express to meet the requested shipping speed requirements. Final delivery may be carried out by the local post office or a local courier. Shipment tracking may not be available for all carriers to all destination countries.

And BTW dude, where did you buy that thing from? The one which got fked in customs?
Last edited by Coloneltreavy at Aug 31, 2014,
Quote by Coloneltreavy
(a) Alright. If I get the option, I would get the Vypyr for sure. Marshall is pretty popular with bands so I thought it would generally be better than other brands but seems the low budget variants aren't so good. I would prefer versatility to begin with as well, since I want to try out different things. That does leave Vypyr as the best choice.

That's true. I also like to help out people where I am a little more experienced in than them. But still, Thanks ^_^

(b) I did search specifically for the HSS option because I was looking for more diversity in which I can play & I guess the one I mentioned does that job. It is true that most metal bands prefer the Gibson, though. Or the Ibanez. Since I don't have many options, strat definitely stands out as a good option.

(a) yeah the dearer (and older/vintage) tube marshalls are good, but the cheap solid state ones, not so much.

(b) It sort of depends on what you mean by "metal", lol. A lot of the bands I listen to (they might be more considered "hard rock" now than "metal") use superstrats more than Gibsons. As long as you have the bridge humbucker there, it should get you into the ballpark, though. That's the main thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) yeah the dearer (and older/vintage) tube marshalls are good, but the cheap solid state ones, not so much.

(b) It sort of depends on what you mean by "metal", lol. A lot of the bands I listen to (they might be more considered "hard rock" now than "metal") use superstrats more than Gibsons. As long as you have the bridge humbucker there, it should get you into the ballpark, though. That's the main thing.

There's no point in getting the tube ones since I can just go for the peavey one

Even I personally like the sound of the Strat. It attracts me more so because I can play a range of music on it & the design. Its looks are far better than a Les Paul, IMO :P Ibanez and others look cooler but LP vs Strat. The Strat wins
Yeah I mean for the price the good marshalls go for you have a lot of options, plus if you're only starting out it's overkill (at least until you realise what type of amps you like best- I don't buy the argument that some say that beginners should use crap gear (since better gear helps you regardless of your playing ability, if you ask me), but at the same time you should probably know what type of expensive amps you like before you start buying them ).

And yeah I mean if you like the strat more go for it. As you said, super/fat strats are pretty versatile (I'm biased because I like them, but still) and hard to go wrong with for a starter. If you prefer Ibanezes they do a few models with HSS pickup layouts (the SA series I think) which might be worth a look too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I mean for the price the good marshalls go for you have a lot of options, plus if you're only starting out it's overkill (at least until you realise what type of amps you like best- I don't buy the argument that some say that beginners should use crap gear (since better gear helps you regardless of your playing ability, if you ask me), but at the same time you should probably know what type of expensive amps you like before you start buying them ).

And yeah I mean if you like the strat more go for it. As you said, super/fat strats are pretty versatile (I'm biased because I like them, but still) and hard to go wrong with for a starter. If you prefer Ibanezes they do a few models with HSS pickup layouts (the SA series I think) which might be worth a look too.

Yuh, I thought so as well. Though, thanks for the tip.

I am biased here as well >.< But one of my fav bands - System of a Down - use Ibanez so I kinda like that as well. I searched amazon for the Ibanez but they don't seem to have any with international shipping. I will check around nonetheless
Check Sweetwater and Thomann for international sales of Ibbys.

Also check individual or small retailers selling in eBay or ESPECIALLY Reverb.com.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Check Sweetwater and Thomann for international sales of Ibbys.

Also check individual or small retailers selling in eBay or ESPECIALLY Reverb.com.

Sweetwater only ship through FedEx priority mail which is like 200-300$ for the shipping. Thomann doesn't ship to where I live.

Ebay - I am not sure since the sellers don't always know the country's customs policy and end up not delivering it or get stuck in between. Happened to me once.

As for reverb, the one I remember checking was Chicago musical instruments or something who also had a huge shipping price.