I have joined a metal band who are going to record an album in December. They have 8 songs which are completed except for the solos (I have to write them, since I'm the lead guitarist).

The problem is, 6 out of 8 songs are too fast for me (180-200 bpm). My speed limit is around 120 bpm (I can play both rhythm and lead with relatively controlled technique at that tempo).

My main concern is rhythm playing (downpicking, gallop, reverse gallop, tremolo picking with and without palm-muting), but I also don't want to neglect my lead playing abilities (alternate picking, legato, sweep picking).
When I practice, I pay attention to my technique and posture and I practice at extremely slow tempo (8th and 16th notes at 50 bpm).

Is it possible for me to make such a major leap in terms of both rhythm and lead playing in 3 months?
No idea, and there's only one way to find out. If you can't though, there's no shame in just not recording; the whole project will be better served by you taking a back seat and the other guy doing all the rhythm work on the recording.

I will say though; for a speed jump of that size... I think it's unlikely. Possible, maybe, but unlikely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod tends to give good advice. So take on board what he said.

But who is setting these recording date deadlines? If you can't play your own songs, then why are you attempting to record them? It takes a long time to improve at your instrument, so just do the best that you can (obviously). I think it would take longer than 3 months to learn 8 songs back to front in 3 months, especially if they are out of your current playing abilities.
Quote by wildozer
Zaphod tends to give good advice. So take on board what he said.

But who is setting these recording date deadlines? If you can't play your own songs, then why are you attempting to record them? It takes a long time to improve at your instrument, so just do the best that you can (obviously). I think it would take longer than 3 months to learn 8 songs back to front in 3 months, especially if they are out of your current playing abilities.

Sounds like TS joined an already existing band and sometimes these things happen; I had to learn one of the tracks on my band's album in the studio as we were recording it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sounds like TS joined an already existing band and sometimes these things happen; I had to learn one of the tracks on my band's album in the studio as we were recording it.

Yup, that's the situation I'm in.
Quote by Scratcher17
I have joined a metal band who are going to record an album in December. They have 8 songs which are completed except for the solos (I have to write them, since I'm the lead guitarist).

The problem is, 6 out of 8 songs are too fast for me (180-200 bpm). My speed limit is around 120 bpm (I can play both rhythm and lead with relatively controlled technique at that tempo).

My main concern is rhythm playing (downpicking, gallop, reverse gallop, tremolo picking with and without palm-muting), but I also don't want to neglect my lead playing abilities (alternate picking, legato, sweep picking).
When I practice, I pay attention to my technique and posture and I practice at extremely slow tempo (8th and 16th notes at 50 bpm).

Is it possible for me to make such a major leap in terms of both rhythm and lead playing in 3 months?

1) Have you actually tried playing the songs? Just because the tempo is fast doesn't necessarily mean the tune is too difficult to play, it all depends on the actual riffs being played. Some really uptempo stuff is actually much easier than it appears at first glance.

2) start practicing fast speeds - you've probably put in more than enough 50bpm time. You may surprise yourself - 3 months is a long time if you put in a ton of hours per day.

3) lead playing over faster tempos can actually be easier than mid tempos sometimes, you can get away with playing less notes if the drums, bass and guitar are already very rhythmically busy. Even playing quarter notes at fast tempos will sound like your blazing all over the fretboard - there is an illusion of speed there.