Yesterday I finished building my flying V guitar kit. Instead of rocking out, i found that the action was waaay to high. The bridge was as low as it would go so instead I tightened the trussrod. I tightened it half a turn and waited half an hour, there was no noticeable improvement so I continued tightening it and waiting. Now I'm at a point where I don't dare to tighten it any further but the action is still too high (1cm, or almost half an inch). I'm not even sure if the trussrod did anything. So what should I do now? My brother said that if I take off the neck and place some weights on it for a week or so that the neck would bend the way I want. I don't know if that's a good idea, so I'm considering placing a small piece of wood in the neck pocket (it's a bolt on) too make the neck angle more accute. Does anyone have any advice or other idea's that might work?
Shim the neck. Put a piece of wood under the heel like you say at the end.

EDIT: It's a half an inch where? 12th fret? I don't think you can shim that out. You may have screwed up somewhere.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Aug 29, 2014,
pictures would help. Is your bridge a TOM and if so, did you account for the neck angle?
It's a TOM, and yes that was on the 12th fret. So I took the neck and saw that the wood had swell up at the neck pocket at the hole I used to hang the body up for painting. I hadn't noticed that when I put the neck on -_- so I sanded that off and shimmed the neck. And I'm pretty satisfied with the result. Thanks for the quick replies!
if your neck is curving upwards, you need to turn the truss rod the other way.

Pic's would really help.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry for double posting, but here's a picture of the entire neck. Also, does anyone have any ideas for the strap button? I wanted to move it too the neck plate and just use a longer, but same weidth, screw as is in there already, but it's too wide for the strap button. And I don't want to drill a new hole. Now I have to wear the strap the other way around (slim part on my shoulder, with the wide part uselessly around my back). I'm having some difficulties putting these things into words since I'm not English, so if you have any questions, ask away.
Attachments:
P1010066.JPG
Drill a new hole in the neck plate. You won't hurt anything, and the strap will work much better. I did that on my explorer and I have zero neck drop when standing up.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
That's not too high, but you could lower it. A shim might work.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone