A couple of friends that play for a living have these as their main guitars. I like the smaller size and they are very versatile it seems. I play mostly blues and 60's rock. Is there anything else in another brand I should look at that would give me the size and versatility that these seem to have. I would be looking in the $500 range which is a little more than the Epi's run. Thanks for your help.
For $500 check out the Ibanez Artcore line. They have several models in the $450–$550 range.
I'd get the Epi ES-335 to get the full semi-hollow sound. 339 is more of a cross between a LP and a 335, no?
Quote by OliveG
I'd get the Epi ES-335 to get the full semi-hollow sound. 339 is more of a cross between a LP and a 335, no?

NO !
Using the 339 right now, and so satisfied. Coil-splitting does not sound so close like really singles, but very light and thin tone.
Quote by kyuseok
Using the 339 right now, and so satisfied. Coil-splitting does not sound so close like really singles, but very light and thin tone.

I have a Mim Strat for the single coils.
Quote by OliveG
The ES-335, 339, Epi, "Dot", and Sheraton 2", all have center blocks for sustain. I picture the difference to be biased more toward the pickups.

FWIW, these guitars all (?) have a laminate top. Gibson tried releasing them with solid maple tops, but players complained about feedback. So, even the Gibson ES-335 has a laminated top.

Epiphone's "Sheraton 2" is absolutely gorgeous, but about $150.00 more than their ES-339.

Here's one in nat maple: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETS2NAGH?adpos=1o1&creative=55280239081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLL5u-vCvMACFSxk7AodVXUAYQ

And here's a red, "Dot", the plain Jane of the litter: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETDTCHCH?adpos=1o1&creative=55280239081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CN-2s_fDvMACFahj7AodH2cAVQ Still gosh darned nice though. Some people claim the Dot has a thicker neck than the Sherry, not sure. None of them come left handed any more.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by OliveG

The 339 is basically a 335 that's about the same size as a Les Paul (it's a hair bigger, but that's due to the body shape.) It's going to sound a lot closer to a 335 though. I'd personally go for the 335, but I'm a bigger guy so the size difference doesn't really matter that much for me- I'd rather have the bigger sound.
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by mtshark
The 339 is basically a 335 that's about the same size as a Les Paul (it's a hair bigger, but that's due to the body shape.) It's going to sound a lot closer to a 335 though. I'd personally go for the 335, but I'm a bigger guy so the size difference doesn't really matter that much for me- I'd rather have the bigger sound.

Me too - 335.