Has anyone here had any luck playing piano pieces on the guitar? When the piano score goes below E2 there is obviously a problem. Would a seven string guitar be a good fix? Or will you still run into problems?

I wanted to play in the exact key the piece was written in and keep the bass line original...kind of difficult to do that with 6 strings though.
I don't have any experience in this but I'd say look at piano pieces that have arrangement on guitar. Classical pieces on guitar is a good place to look at I guess and even other ?modern? pieces such as River Flows In You and To Zanarkand have been arranged on the guitar before.
Quote by Unreal T
Has anyone here had any luck playing piano pieces on the guitar? When the piano score goes below E2 there is obviously a problem. Would a seven string guitar be a good fix? Or will you still run into problems?

I wanted to play in the exact key the piece was written in and keep the bass line original...kind of difficult to do that with 6 strings though.

Your wants are irrelevant.

The facts are that the range of the guitar is half (or less than half) that of a piano. Shown in the picture below.

A seventh string will give you another fourth below that low E (down to B) but will still not cover the range of the piano. If you drop tune you might even get a few more semitones in range.

When trying to arrange piano pieces for guitar this will be a factor and you might need to make adjustments accordingly.

Also keep in mind that the guitar is a transposed instrument. That is to say middle C on the staff is the note between the treble and bass cleffs. For guitar this would indicate to play a note on the third fret A string which is a C3 but middle C on a piano is C4. -
The notes indicated on a guitar score are actually an octave lower than the same notes written on a piano score would indicate. So it's something to think about when looking at piano sheet music and trying to work an arrangement for the guitar.
Si
Quote by Unreal T

What songs are you trying to play? For some really simple stuff, like "River Flows In You" or some Ludovico Einaudi or something, you might get away with it, but for almost anything classical, really, it would be too hard to pull off doing it note for note.

And why would you want to do it note for note, in the same key, same bass line, etc? That's boring. It's dull. Arrange it so it actually takes advantages of what makes the guitar a different instrument.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me