I believe I've heard the heavy metal is pretty decent, good even. But the metalzone is pretty gross iirc
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Is there such a thing as a pedal with the word "metal" in the name that isn't a pile of crap?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ the EHX metal muff isn't half bad if ya ask me.
Then there's the joyo extreme metal, which I believe being a copy of that, and the joyo pocket metal, which is a stripped down version of the pocket metal.

So, 3 already.
Anyone else has any suggestion?

Anyway TS, they are not that different imo.
They will get you different sounds, and they'll both not sound much good.

I suggest saving up for a better distortion pedal, or maybe even amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah neither of them are good in the grand scheme of things
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Cathbard
Is there such a thing as a pedal with the word "metal" in the name that isn't a pile of crap?

Hardwire TL-2
Its WAY better than the Boss or most of the other "Metal" pedals.
Comparing the Boss Metalzone to the TL-2 is like comparing an MG to a Vypyr.
While neither are in the #1 spot, one is far far better than the other.
The TL-2 is actually pretty good if EQ'ed properly and you don't set the gain much past Noon.
Kinda wish I still had mine.
Traded that, a DD-7 and some DVD's at a pawn shop for a Sanpera II.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 29, 2014,
agree on the Metal Muff and Joyo Extreme not being too bad,i like the Joyo better than the MT-2....a lot of people dislike em but i dig the MXR Fullbore Metal
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Quote by CodeMonk
Hardwire TL-2

+1. The TL-2 most underrated distortion pedal out there. It nails high-gain metal tones without the harsh unnatural edge that plagues most high-gain distortion pedals.
You have a couple options here. I would stay away from Boss, except Tuner and Looper and maybe Octave. Other than that, you can usually find better stomps.
Quote by Taz9
You have a couple options here. I would stay away from Boss, except Tuner and Looper and maybe Octave. Other than that, you can usually find better stomps.

I dunno, the SD-1 is kinda nice (Well, at least some of the clones of it are nice) .
The DS-1 blows IMO though.
IME, most of Boss'es dirt pedals blow though.
The others (Modulation, etc) are hit and miss IMO (The DD-7 is awesome).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 30, 2014,
I dunno, the SD-1 is kinda nice (Well, at least some of the clones of it are nice) .
The DS-1 blows IMO though.
IME, most of Boss'es dirt pedals blow though.
The others (Modulation, etc) are hit and miss IMO (The DD-7 is awesome).

I guess it's all a matter of preferences too. Frankly, I find the SD-1 total garbage (sorry to all SD-1 owners.) Why not go for a Soul food or Rat?

As for the DD7, I'd go analog delay anyway, but if you really want digital delay, I'd rather get Flashback or EHX memory boy/man.

Also, all Boss pedals are buffered out. Not a bad thing but I don't want buffers all over my board. There are many better options out there IMO.
Last edited by Taz9 at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68_7sePvUc&sns=em

http://line6.com/tonecore/uberMetal.html

The tones are usable, but the reason it isn't crap is because you can swap it out with other modules in the ToneCore line, like the Verbzilla or Echo Park.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 30, 2014,
Quote by Taz9
I guess it's all a matter of preferences too. Frankly, I find the SD-1 total garbage (sorry to all SD-1 owners.) Why not go for a Soul food or Rat?

As for the DD7, I'd go analog delay anyway, but if you really want digital delay, I'd rather get Flashback or EHX memory boy/man.

Also, all Boss pedals are buffered out. Not a bad thing but I don't want buffers all over my board. There are many better options out there IMO.

The SD-1 with an AC30 is a thing of beauty IMO, but I do have plans to build myself a Rat one of these days.
And probably a Hotcake clone at some point.
I liked the DD-7, but the only thing I really used it for near the end was for a slapback.
I've got a TC Nova Delay that does a much better job than the DD-7 did, plus with 9 presets, its 9 times as awesome IMO.
And as for analog Vs digital delay, I don't really give a rats ass.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwc0MY3lM8

because who needs mids anyway.

I'm not even gonna listen, but if he put the gain past noon, its gonna sound like ass no matter how its EQ'ed.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 30, 2014,
If "Boss heavy metal pedal" means the Hm-2, then yes, there are reasons to get one. For thick, gnarly, and absolutely filthy distortion, it kicks the metal zone's ass all day long. The metalzone is a horrible pedal. Period. That said, the Hm-2 is sort of a one-trick pony. If death metal and especially Swedish death metal is your thing, the Hm-2 is almost a necessity.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
If "Boss heavy metal pedal" means the Hm-2, then yes, there are reasons to get one. For thick, gnarly, and absolutely filthy distortion, it kicks the metal zone's ass all day long. The metalzone is a horrible pedal. Period. That said, the Hm-2 is sort of a one-trick pony. If death metal and especially Swedish death metal is your thing, the Hm-2 is almost a necessity.

i plumped for the hm2! thanks for the help everyone !
I tried both, I own a Metal zone actually but HM-2 is better IMO if you are going to use it as a main source for the meat. Pat o'Brien from Cannibal uses a Keeley modded metal zone up front. I use that in front of my JVM just crank the volume full, drive 0 and EQ to taste. I sometimes use it for my rhythm tone and sometimes just for leads, depends on the night really, and it sounds awesome. One guy actually asked me how do you get that tone and I said Metal zone he just laughed. He was amazed
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2